Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ovidiulucaci

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

Sidepod wing!

Owen.C93

Well I'm glad somebody did I guess.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

marcush.

those sidepod leading edge wings ,I remember those on toyotas and jordans a few years ago...

bar555

Jordan EJ14 in 2004 had similar winglets but those were more for downforce production , while Sauber's ones have a more neutral profile probably acting as flow formatters . Giorgio Piola even predicted such an evolution
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

pascaljackson

i just wondered why nobody else had these before,
i would use them to get air to the underside of the rearwing

King Six

Owen.C93 wrote:Well I'm glad somebody did I guess.
After all that Ferrari hype, but knowing F1 it's less to do with directly producing downforce and more about flow conditioning for the rear

aleks_ader

pascaljackson wrote:i just wondered why nobody else had these before,
i would use them to get air to the underside of the rearwing
Hmm but after rads opening is huge depresion of low pressure. And i assume that will be anyway suck and squezze that "cuted" flow... Maybe is to small cut?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

amouzouris

i think that apart from conditioning the flow, those wings also reduce the low pressure area above the tips of the sidepods..

RB7ate9

I hope Sauber gets some good results this year. It appears like the mid-mid-field cars (FI, TR, Sauber, Williams) have a fair amount of innovation and design in their cars.

PlatinumZealot

ovidiulucaci wrote:Sidepod wing!
Wasn't Ferrari the ones that are supposed to have this wing? How ironic!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

RB7ate9

I'd be intrigued if Ferrari start putting the Sauber nose slot on their cars once the season gets under way...

aleks_ader

amouzouris wrote:i think that apart from conditioning the flow, those wings also reduce the low pressure area above the tips of the sidepods..
yeah partially do you have right..

They aligned top side pods turbolences.. But the depresion (area of low preassure) after sidepods coling intake down towards beam wing will anyway inforce upper "cutted" flow to travel in normal trajectory-toward crash structure and beam wing....

I will make drawing... Just wait a coupple of minutes...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93

bar555 wrote:Jordan EJ14 in 2004 had similar winglets but those were more for downforce production , while Sauber's ones have a more neutral profile probably acting as flow formatters . Giorgio Piola even predicted such an evolution
I have a slight feeling that Piola actually inspired them with all his pre-season drawings.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

volarchico

Not only is that a good picture of the sidepod wing, but also the cooling vents along either side of the cockpit and the slot just aft of the nose step!

Lorenzo_Bandini