Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

Huntresa wrote:

I see a ramp ? Or is it the angle that doesnt show the undercut?[/quote]

There's no more ramp. They have followed McLaren. Here's a little better pic without the angle

Huntresa

Ah nice, thats better, beautiful, lets hope it all works.

Crucial_Xtreme

Huntresa wrote:Ah nice, thats better, beautiful, lets hope it all works.
I think it probably will. Keep in mind a team like Sauber can focus mainly on aero whereas the larger teams must focus on more things & supply these things to smaller teams. That said, the C31 is looking better and better.

PhantomPoster

What are the big teams supplying to the smaller teams? Aero?

Crucial_Xtreme

PhantomPoster wrote:What are the big teams supplying to the smaller teams? Aero?
No, they supply engine, gearbox, KERS, etc. This allows some of the smaller teams to focus more on Aerodynamics versus some other things the big teams must deal with/focus on.

raymondu999

Wow. The pioneers of the coanda ramp sidepod move over to the McLaren design. I did not see that coming. I wonder if those who are using the same Sauber design will follow suit.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Huntresa

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
PhantomPoster wrote:What are the big teams supplying to the smaller teams? Aero?
No, they supply engine, gearbox, KERS, etc. This allows some of the smaller teams to focus more on Aerodynamics versus some other things the big teams must deal with/focus on.
How does that work tho ? I mean is the department that handles the engines/kers/gearbox directly linked to F1 or is it just Ferrari or a department within Ferrari but still not F1 ?

I mean they have ppl working for the customers they have but are they paid from Ferraris F1 team budget or Ferrari as a car maker?

Crucial_Xtreme

New exhaust

McMrocks

i am amazed about sauber. they really copy the macca exhaust. I think their exhaust was so good that RB copied them. I'm not sure if this was the right decision.

Crucial_Xtreme

McMrocks wrote: I'm not sure if this was the right decision.
Obviously they are. They're the ones who have been testing it in the Wind Tunnel & CFD. If they didn't think it would help the car, they wouldn't do it.

ing
ing

raymondu999 wrote:Wow. The pioneers of the coanda ramp sidepod move over to the McLaren design. I did not see that coming. I wonder if those who are using the same Sauber design will follow suit.
I predicted (expected ?) that solution for Ferrari. I think it's the best - maintaining the coke-bottle effect plus introducing a vortex (in addition to the coanda effect) to drive the exhaust downward.

viewtopic.php?p=332290#p332290

McMrocks

another question from me is:
on the right side there is the tv camera. But on the left side there is a bigger black thing.
So what is this? And is this only for testing?

(grüße)

PhantomPoster

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:

But Ferrari have twice as many people working for than as Sauber. Also Mercedes and Macca get their engines from HPE, so would you call Merc and Macca smaller teams with more ability to focus on aero? Are RBR a small team more focused on aero?

Sorry, I think the engine supply argument is flawed.

The midfield-and-back teams have far fewer people on the payroll, so for any of them to be able to update their cars with the big boys is far more impressive I think.

cccag

@ McMrocks : here is right side view .... I think its just an ordinary aero shape, not a camera, but in bigger size

Art & science are disciplines that must work together hand in hand - Horacio Pagani

McMrocks

@cccag: thanks. it also could be for data transmission. After the test it will disappear. The ferrari behind has it on top