Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Tozza Mazza

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

This wing seems to take it one step further than we've seen before.

PhantomPoster

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Sauber Update Analysis

Right click>view image

via AutoSport
Interesting comment about those sidepod winglet things. GA suggests they route air upwards? From the real pictures I've seen they look like they flick downwards. Am I missing something?

Owen.C93

I think it separates the air so the boundary layers is smaller or just has less of an effect on the rest of the airflow.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PhantomPoster

Separates the air? So you agree with GA? To me it looks like a lift profile to STOP the air separating. I would have thought it's there to help their exhaust solution.

bhall

PhantomPoster wrote:Interesting comment about those sidepod winglet things. GA suggests they route air upwards? From the real pictures I've seen they look like they flick downwards. Am I missing something?
Realize that these are the thoughts of Gary Anderson. Take everything he says with a grain of salt and invert it and then you might get something with some semblance of reality.

marcush.

is this the equivalent of a leading edge flap on a wingprofile?

To me it looks like the front corner treatment of trucks:

Crucial_Xtreme

The vane points the airflow downwards, to drive greater flow over the exhaust exit. In isolation this vane actually creates lift, as is common with F1 aero this counter intuitive solution creates more global downforce because of its downstream effect, than the small loss in downforce its creates on its own.

Scarbs Sauber Exhaust Sidepod Development

PlatinumZealot

It just breaks the low pressure zone around the top leading edge of the side pod by directing the air along the surface. A simple guide vane.

The drag is reduced and side pod lift reduced with it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FrukostScones

large DRS-flap for Monte-Carlo

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

PNSD

marcush. wrote:is this the equivalent of a leading edge flap on a wingprofile?

To me it looks like the front corner treatment of trucks:
I asked this question in 2006 when Honda and other teams had those large sidepod winglets.

Since then I asked a former automotive aerodynamicist (my old lecturer!) and he said one of the reason's is to keep the truck's clean. They capture a lot of dirt and dust from the engine, road, other trucks. Keeps the cab steps clean too, and of course for image purposes for haulage companies.

edit - However, he did say they more than likely provided some other aero effect.

Crucial_Xtreme

Great high res picture of the C31 front bulkhead. I don't see the strut bar present in Spain.

Right click>view image

Sauber Floor
via Lurk

Exhaust Detail
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 23 May 2012, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

FakeAlonso

italian

Interesting...
via AMuS
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Crucial_Xtreme

italian wrote:Interesting...

via AMuS
They've moved their radiators. You can see the new position in the exhaust picture I posted earlier

bhall

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I don't see the strut bar present in Spain.
It's there. They just blocked it from easy view. I guess they don't want others to see the path to ending front-end dive.