Williams FW34 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
manchild

Re: Williams FW34 Renault

Most likely both, 3 points - via two endplates and via beam wing in the middle.
Last edited by manchild on 07 Feb 2012, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Alexgtt

No turning vanes on rear wing either. Did they run them last year?

roadie

OK cool, so the rear wing is mounted via the stump for the suspension to the top surface of the beam wing. It is also held to the diffuser to stop it flapping about like last year. Cool!

A lot is similar to last year, especially around the footbox area. The splitter detail and bargeboards for example.

ESPImperium

One question about this car, is it Williams Hybrid KERS or Renault KERS they are using?

Francesc

ESPImperium wrote:One question about this car, is it Williams Hybrid KERS or Renault KERS they are using?
Williams.

roadie

We can only hope it has been further refined from last year's!

The more shots I see of the car, the more I like it. Although it is similar in concept to the FW33, I am hoping the many, many refinements that have been made are effective.

Source of the image, along with some others:
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... with-fw34/

Raptor22

I just hope that the cars balance under qualifying and race conditions is going to be better tan FW33.

Dropping the Cosworth is a positive step.

The Cossie needs a lot of development which is just not possible under the current engine rules

zgred

gridwalker

I really like their sidepod treatment. Much tighter than last year, with a more pronounced rearwards slope.

PLEASE, sweet Jebus, can my favourite team stop their inexorable slide? I've loved them since the 80s and I would hate to see them go the way of the original (and only, IMHO) Team Lotus.

Come on Frankie's boys : you can do this :)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

meves

They have to support the rear wing in 3 places, last year they tried with it just centrally supported and they ended up with serious vibrations which caused structural problems. So now they have supports on the end plates which don't carry the load but do prevent vibration and stiffen the structure.

Oh and I hope the car goes well, I've been rooting for Williams since the mid-80's and would love to see them back at the sharp end.

Alexgtt

Raptor22 wrote:I just hope that the cars balance under qualifying and race conditions is going to be better tan FW33.

Dropping the Cosworth is a positive step.

The Cossie needs a lot of development which is just not possible under the current engine rules
This is the key point I feel. With the right engine package everything improves. Tighter engine/auxiliaries/mounting points, better engine driveability/mapping, engine cover, better cooling, small rads, tighter side pods, etc. all mean more air to that fabulously low and small rear end and diffuser area. If they nail the gearbox for reliability this should be fast.

Again, hoping! [-o<

Francesc

Does anyone know where are the front brake ducts of this car?? :shock:

Alexgtt

Very tight and slim brake ducting. I'm liking that as well. Very neat. More details looking good on the car.
Francesc wrote:Does anyone know where are the front brake ducts of this car?? :shock:

roadie

Hard to see exactly when the image has been (automatically) scaled down as badly as that, but Pastor certainly looks snug in there!

By the way, how do you browse the high res images on the F1 site?

ringo

car looks ok. Sidepods by far the smallest lenghtwise on the grid.
Looks like a smart design, though i can't say how far up the pecking order this car will be. All look pretty much improved.
For Sure!!