Toro Rosso STR7 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly

Re: Toro Rosso STR7

I agree with beelsebob
twitter: @armchair_aero

Intego

We saw this before on several cars (RB, STR, Ferrari ...), but not that extreme. It was a circa 5 cm long perpendicular cut in the floor and the front is bent up ...

Toro Rosso STR5:

Ferrari F10 (hard to see, open pic in new window, it's in high definition):

I don't understand all the FIA language, but I think it's this rule:
FIA F1 Fechnical Regulations 2012 – Article 3.12.4 wrote:3.12.4  The boundaries of the surfaces lying on the reference and step planes may be curved upwards with maximum radii of 25mm and 50mm respectively. Where the vertical transition meets the surfaces on the step plane a radius, no greater than 25mm, is permitted.

A radius in this context will be considered as an arc applied perpendicular to the boundary and tangential to both surfaces. 

The surface lying on the reference plane, the surfaces lying on the step plane, the vertical transitions between them and any surfaces rearward of the surfaces lying on the reference or step planes, must first be fully defined before any radius can be applied or the skid block fitted.
Any radius applied is still considered part of the relevant surface. 
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

PlatinumZealot

beelsebob wrote:
n smikle wrote:This is an illustration of my speculation..
It's not legal...
3.12.1 With the skid block referred to in Article 3.13 removed all sprung parts of the car situated from 330mm behind the front wheel centre line to the rear wheel centre line, and which are visible from underneath, must form surfaces which lie on one of two parallel planes, the reference plane or the step plane.
OK then. We just have to add some louvres... Legal? you can't see this from beneath! and it's on the reference plane and/or the step plane

Should increase the air speed under the splitter, but it might hurt the area in front of the rear wheels..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

jordangp

n smikle wrote:
OK then. We just have to add some louvres... Legal? you can't see this from beneath! and it's on the reference plane and/or the step plane

Definitely illegal. Parts cannot be placed under the step plane.

EDIT: Also, why would you want air from underneath the step plane, to go above?
Last edited by jordangp on 25 Jan 2012, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob

n smikle wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
n smikle wrote:This is an illustration of my speculation..
It's not legal...
3.12.1 With the skid block referred to in Article 3.13 removed all sprung parts of the car situated from 330mm behind the front wheel centre line to the rear wheel centre line, and which are visible from underneath, must form surfaces which lie on one of two parallel planes, the reference plane or the step plane.
No, the transition between the two is on neither plane, and doesn't have the mandated 25mm/50mm curvature as mandated by the rule Intego quoted.

beelsebob

jordangp wrote:Definitely illegal. Parts cannot be placed under the step plane
That's not the step plane it's under – it's the reference plane. He's proposing something that transitions from step to reference plane underneath, the problem being that it would need too sharp an angle to be aerodynamically efficient.

jordangp

By the looks of it it's well beneath both planes...

neilbah

i was more questioning if the cut/curve in the floor can be turned 90 degrees so its sideways to those examples in the toro/ferrari pics - providing of course that you can see only sky from below

Not speculating as to why this would or wouldnt be a good idea though. As people like to shoot others down :)

PlatinumZealot

beelsebob wrote:
No, the transition between the two is on neither plane, and doesn't have the mandated 25mm/50mm curvature as mandated by the rule Intego quoted.
But You can't see that part! :wink:

which rule intego quoted? In this thread?... I don't think it will apply to this..but if you can direct me to it. or tell me the rule number I will look at it.

Just out of interest - not directly related.. but look at these two.. the transition lies not on the step plane nor regference plane.. I think this is the free 50mm from the edge.. but still my design is all "flat" when viewed form below.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

jordangp

neilbah wrote:i was more questioning if the cut/curve in the floor can be turned 90 degrees so its sideways to those examples in the toro/ferrari pics - providing of course that you can see only sky from below

Not speculating as to why this would or wouldnt be a good idea though. As people like to shoot others down :)
Well the bodywork of the car can't go any lower than the floor bottom, which is the step plane, if that's what you're asking, with exception from the central section of the car, ie. the reference plane, and central diffuser section.

jordangp

n smikle wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

which rule intego quoted? In this thread?... I don't think it will apply to this..but if you can direct me to it. or tell me the rule number I will look at it.

Just out of interest - not directly related.. but look at these two.. the transition lies not on the step plane nor regference plane.. I think this is the free 50mm from the edge.. but still my design is all "flat" when viewed form below.

Article 3.12.4

shelly

n smikle wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

I think this type of floor curl (pioneered by rbr in 2009 iirc) is about a loophole in the rules that allows a maximum radius of 50mm at the floor edges - so it counts as reference plane.
twitter: @armchair_aero

PlatinumZealot

beelsebob wrote:
jordangp wrote:Definitely illegal. Parts cannot be placed under the step plane
That's not the step plane it's under – it's the reference plane. He's proposing something that transitions from step to reference plane underneath, the problem being that it would need too sharp an angle to be aerodynamically efficient.
I can change the length of it... just the concept that I want to show.. notice the wording from the rules says step OR reference plane!
and which are visible from underneath, must form surfaces which lie on one of two parallel planes, the reference plane or the step plane.
This one lies on the reference plane.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

neilbah

i was thinking more along the lines of this still being allowed further forward for whatever reason you design it that way

ringo

Anyhow. I'd expect more redbull ideas crossing over on this car.
The cars may infact be more similar this year, if the double floor is removed.
Last edited by ringo on 26 Jan 2012, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!