Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
forty-two

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

QLDriver wrote:
forty-two wrote:Isn't it sort of BS that these teams are still joining their gills with a tiny slot to make it "one opening"? Surely this could just be agreed to be nonsensical since everyone is doing it?
I was thinking the same thing, until I realised there's the law of unintended consequences with such things. If the regulation was relaxed to permit gills, it would have to be tightly written to prevent teams doing something unexpected.
You are of course right here.

Tight regulation tends to favour innovation, as can be seen in Ham radio; Government restricts the energy and frequencies, the guys find a workaround. Story is the same with F1.

Foolish of me to suggest otherwise. Sorry all.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Richard

I've just done the usual post race tidy up.

If your comment isn't about a feature on this car then don't post in this thread.

Lap times and race discussion go to the race thread :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12563&view=unread#unread

General McLaren chat goes to the team thread :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12100&view=unread#unread

Just occasionally, some posts go to a special place :o :arrow: viewtopic.php?p=337383#p337383

raymondu999

Not sure if this is a repost - but great view on the McLaren behind:

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Vasco

raymondu999 wrote:Not sure if this is a repost - but great view on the McLaren behind:

[img]http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 12.jpg[img]
With the exhausts pointing a little more outward, it seems that they are heating up the rear tyres using the exhaust gases. Could this be the reason for their poor race pace, since they could be overheating their rear tyres too much? Its great for 1 lap, but after a few laps it gets too much....
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 24 Apr 2012, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: disabled img tags. see previous post

JMN
JMN

Well possibly and pre-season testing did show it could be problematic, but as for the poor performance in Bahrain my money is on the noticeably different track temperature compared to saturday. Lotus did their heavy fuel runs on friday. The conditions and track temperature especially was very similar to friday. If McLaren chose a setup based on saturday track temperatures chances are they would have had a hard time hitting the narrow operating window of the Pirellis.

Forza

Credit to F1.talks on twitter who discovered this interesting of Mp4/27 durring pitstop. It shows the path of exhaust flow when car is stationary.

beelsebob

This is a bit speculative, but... Might the air temperature answer why McLaren did poorly at Bahrain – might it be that they're dependant on air temperature, (and hence the presure and density of the air flowing over the side pod) to get the exhaust to sink towards the diffuser by exactly the right amount? Might it be that they were missing their optimal diffuser sealing?

ame85

beelsebob wrote:This is a bit speculative, but... Might the air temperature answer why McLaren did poorly at Bahrain – might it be that they're dependant on air temperature, (and hence the presure and density of the air flowing over the side pod) to get the exhaust to sink towards the diffuser by exactly the right amount? Might it be that they were missing their optimal diffuser sealing?
Well, I guess it may be. After all, besides Malaysia (and this year rain somewhat altered the normal racing conditions), Barhain is the only other super-hot GP of the season, and I can imagine McL relying on standard air conditions while designing their rear aerodynamics.
Nevertheless, in my opinion, this may not be the case. Most summer races can be very hot too, and an aero set-up this sensitive could spoil the pace on a number of similar conditions, making it difficult to rely on the car's ability to perform properly in non-standard weather conditions.

My 2 cents anyway :wink:

MIKEY_!

Looks like exhaust coming over the monkey seat - how did that happen???

aral

MIKEY_! wrote:Looks like exhaust coming over the monkey seat - how did that happen???
Car is stationary, so no coanda effect dragging the exhaust gasses down. The exhaust pipes point upwards, per regs., so any exhaust smoke will naturally rise.

mzivtins

gilgen wrote:
MIKEY_! wrote:Looks like exhaust coming over the monkey seat - how did that happen???
Car is stationary, so no coanda effect dragging the exhaust gasses down. The exhaust pipes point upwards, per regs., so any exhaust smoke will naturally rise.
But the exhausts are so much wider apart to the point that it would seem impossible for the exhaust to naturally find its way there... unless this is the engine heat wake collecting some heavy fuel gas as it radiates from the close centre of the car? so weird!

Can someone take a IR cam to the next gp please haha!

astracrazy

if this happens to be Button's puncture (last) pitstop. Remember the engine had problems a few laps after. Could this be just smoke coming out of the cooling hole?

Coefficient

gilgen wrote:
This is Buttons' car, note the No.3 on the end plate. I would suggest that this is the pit stop prior to his retirement at which point the exhaust was already cracked causing exhaust fumes to be present in the side pods and then exiting from the cooling outlet at the rear of the coke bottle.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

raymondu999

gilgen wrote:
I don't think Coanda is speed dependent though. Is it? Yes there would be no over-sidepod downwash of air, but Coanda would still pull at least part of the exhaust down, surely?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aral

raymondu999 wrote:
gilgen wrote:
I don't think Coanda is speed dependent though. Is it? Yes there would be no over-sidepod downwash of air, but Coanda would still pull at least part of the exhaust down, surely?
Of course it is dependent on forward motion. But the exhausts point inwards and upwards, so at stop, the gasses will rise and go towards the centre line. Anyway, this is all getting away from technical matters and mads may well move this post.