Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Looks like it's coming from the central radiator outlet really.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

^That smoke isn't coming from the exhaust....

raymondu999

Yeah I remember Pup's demo. Has to be said the shaker was empty :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Forza

Broken exhaust manifold is good explanation why smoke is coming out of the cooling outlet. And as I noticed the smoke is blue (maybe it's just picture effect). When smoke coming out of an engine is blue that usually means that engine started to burn oil and it's finised. Jenson said DIFF broke. So ehxaust plume could overhaeat that part. Also it could melt some other part of car in this area.

F1PuertoRico
F1PuertoRico

I think the tyres play a role on how where the exhaust flow . Working the sidepods , exhaust position and the tyres together is a possible way to direct the gases to the top of the diffuser.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

MP4-27 Technical Updates + Piola video

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... 05692.html

Richard
Richard

99 posts about generic coanda effect have been moved to the generic coanda thread.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12046&view=unread#unread

aral
aral

well done, Richard. Now, back to technical matters. Has anyone got a reason for Button running different front wing and brakes at Bahrain? He did that last year as well, towards the end of the season.

There are also reports that Button was called in before the end of the race, so as to get a FREE gearbox change, when there was nothing wrong with his gearbox.

raymondu999

Button has traditionally run different brakes anyways. Brawn said that in 2009. He wants a more progressive setup that needs to warm slightly first before it starts braking. Maybe better suited too his easier, more gradual feeding of brakes.

Fwiw his car DID sound pretty sick - and they could've nicked 5th, so...i dunno.

Button ran a different front wing spec to Hamilton in 2010 Spa too... Lewis had a longer cascade and Jenson had basically an earlier version of this year's front wing, minus the r-shaped cascade. What caught me out is Button's front wing apparently generates more downforce and is less efficient in terms of L/D ratio, while Hamilton took the wing with less downforce and a better L/D ratio.

I wouldn't ever have guesed Button would use more downforce on his front wing. Maybe there is less of the front washing out when he's holding constant steering lock in a fast corner?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ell66
ell66

raymondu999 wrote:Button has traditionally run different brakes anyways. Brawn said that in 2009. He wants a more progressive setup that needs to warm slightly first before it starts braking. Maybe better suited too his easier, more gradual feeding of brakes.

Fwiw his car DID sound pretty sick - and they could've nicked 5th, so...i dunno.

Button ran a different front wing spec to Hamilton in 2010 Spa too... Lewis had a longer cascade and Jenson had basically an earlier version of this year's front wing, minus the r-shaped cascade. What caught me out is Button's front wing apparently generates more downforce and is less efficient in terms of L/D ratio, while Hamilton took the wing with less downforce and a better L/D ratio.

I wouldn't ever have guesed Button would use more downforce on his front wing. Maybe there is less of the front washing out when he's holding constant steering lock in a fast corner?
I think thats a very simplistic way of looking at it, the wings most likely have different characteristics that effect the whole car. They both struggled with oversteer in the race though.

raymondu999

I don't think the oversteer was a side effect of the front wings - more like cooked rears
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

ell66 wrote:They both struggled with oversteer in the race though.
Not arguing, but how do you know this?

Brian

Chuckjr

I just read in f1 news that Michael Schmidt (no idea who that is) states that Macca has a new gearbox shape which will improve aero efficiency but requires a gearbox change. JB, by retiring, is able to use that new gearbox at the very next race, but LH will have to wait. 

Does anyone here know if they do indeed have a new gearbox for the car, and secondly, how long will LH have to wait to get that new gearbox as he just changed his recently? Will this place LH at a disadvantage to his team mate?
Watching F1 since 1986.

Ferraripilot

Chuckjr wrote:I just read in f1 news that Michael Schmidt (no idea who that is) states that Macca has a new gearbox shape which will improve aero efficiency but requires a gearbox change. JB, by retiring, is able to use that new gearbox at the very next race, but LH will have to wait. 

Does anyone here know if they do indeed have a new gearbox for the car, and secondly, how long will LH have to wait to get that new gearbox as he just changed his recently? Will this place LH at a disadvantage to his team mate?
The gearbox casing is rumored to be for the Mercedes car, not Mclaren.

raymondu999

Ferraripilot wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:I just read in f1 news that Michael Schmidt (no idea who that is) states that Macca has a new gearbox shape which will improve aero efficiency but requires a gearbox change. JB, by retiring, is able to use that new gearbox at the very next race, but LH will have to wait. 

The gearbox casing is rumored to be for the Mercedes car, not Mclaren.
What's to say two cars can't have the same rumor?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法