Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
silversurf3r

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

What do you guys make of Sauber,Force India and Williams converging on the Mclaren style exhaust? Surely it's a good sign, I think it is probably the best solution for this year. But considering that the Mclaren side pods were designed specifically with the exhaust in mind to create downwash surely they have the optimimal solution. Meanwhile other teams bolt on the exhaust housing and gain some benefit but not the full effect.

Owen.C93

silversurf3r wrote:What do you guys make of Sauber,Force India and Williams converging on the Mclaren style exhaust? Surely it's a good sign, I think it is probably the best solution for this year. But considering that the Mclaren side pods were designed specifically with the exhaust in mind to create downwash surely they have the optimimal solution. Meanwhile other teams bolt on the exhaust housing and gain some benefit but not the full effect.
You'd think with the best exhaust solution on the grid they'd be in much better shape than they are now. But yes their system will be most refined and hopefully more scope for improvements as they are 1 step ahead of everyone else.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

silversurf3r

Owen.C93 wrote:
silversurf3r wrote:What do you guys make of Sauber,Force India and Williams converging on the Mclaren style exhaust? Surely it's a good sign, I think it is probably the best solution for this year. But considering that the Mclaren side pods were designed specifically with the exhaust in mind to create downwash surely they have the optimimal solution. Meanwhile other teams bolt on the exhaust housing and gain some benefit but not the full effect.
You'd think with the best exhaust solution on the grid they'd be in much better shape than they are now. But yes their system will be most refined and hopefully more scope for improvements as they are 1 step ahead of everyone else.
You'd like to think so but it's not as big a differentiator as last year, without the engine maps. Oh I also should add the Torro Rosso to that list as I've just seen their version.

atanatizante

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

New:
- monkey seat
- diffuser
- (probably a new) connection between the end plate and the brake drum flaps
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

SiLo

Owen.C93 wrote:
Strategy. They've ruined almost all their races with a crap strategy and/or bad pit stops.
Felipe Baby!

astracrazy

+1...

Owen.C93

SiLo wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
Strategy. They've ruined almost all their races with a crap strategy and/or bad pit stops.
They haven't been that fast though. It seems everyone plans to make a big step with a new exhaust while McLaren will just have small improvements, relatively I mean.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

zyphro

They haven't been that fast though. It seems everyone plans to make a big step with a new exhaust while McLaren will just have small improvements, relatively I mean.
Ross Brawn also said, he's not convinced it's the best possible solution.

zyphro

silversurf3r wrote:... Meanwhile other teams bolt on the exhaust housing and gain some benefit but not the full effect.
That's dependant on how other cars were designed.

Other cars will find, other exhaust solutions will work better optimally for the setup of their car.

RB also said, he isn't convinced that the Macca solution is the single best possible solution.

Does anyone know the real benefit of such an exhaust upgrade?

hardingfv32

zyphro wrote:Does anyone know the real benefit of such an exhaust upgrade?
You make humor, Yes!

We have no clue to the real benefit of any of this year's exhaust systems.

Brian

cccag

looks like slots here ....the tarmac is visible

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 040.66.jpg
Art & science are disciplines that must work together hand in hand - Horacio Pagani

beelsebob

I would say wow, you're right... Except I know that's illegal.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

mx_tifoso

There doesn't seem to be much space for hot air to escape from the radiators, since the bodywork is tight around the suspension/gearbox. Is the only exit through the exhaust hole??
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Mazdaboy

I think they're tested the double DRS Look at the rear wing endplate. It's so much wider.

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!