Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ajdavison2

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

I think this nose makes the car look even better, so much more elegant than the other stepped noses, if you can call this stepped!

aral

This is only a cosmetic change. The bulkhead remains at its low height as heretofore, and only the tip of the nosecone has been raised slightly, if at all. It could well be that the only difference is a slightly concave top.

Coefficient

gilgen wrote:This is only a cosmetic change. The bulkhead remains at its low height as heretofore, and only the tip of the nosecone has been raised slightly, if at all. It could well be that the only difference is a slightly concave top.
I think its clear that other dimensions have also changed hence the need to revise the pylons
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Nando

Coefficient wrote:
gilgen wrote:This is only a cosmetic change. The bulkhead remains at its low height as heretofore, and only the tip of the nosecone has been raised slightly, if at all. It could well be that the only difference is a slightly concave top.
I think its clear that other dimensions have also changed hence the need to revise the pylons
I think that might be it though. Looks to me they have scraped off some carbon on tóp of the nose cone then just raised the front of it.
Possibly made it thinner from the underside as well.
And the obvious pylons.

But i doubt they have done anything to the chassis, looks the same to me, just a modified nose cone.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

GrizzleBoy

The old nose was pointing down to the floor and would have generated downforce at the tip. The air then gets used over the top of the car.

The new nose tip cuts straight through the air and allows air that would have otherwise been pushed up and over the car to get underneath it.

Can that be seen as only a cosmetic change?

brucci2000

Does anyone else see a second layer below the main plane on the outer section of the wing? Is this real, optical illusion or test gubbins? Was it always there?

Owen.C93

brucci2000 wrote:[img]http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 80.jpg[img]

Does anyone else see a second layer below the main plane on the outer section of the wing? Is this real, optical illusion or test gubbins? Was it always there?
I don't see what you are talking about.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

n_anirudh

Yes..it does appear to be a two layered wing..but i hope its not an illusion of the leading edge thickness

Robbobnob

i believe it is the reflection of the road on the leading edge.

if it were a two layered wing it would breach the minimum radius would it not. a picture with better colour depth would clarify this
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Nando

It´s one solid piece from what i can see. Left side shows that it´s just a thick piece of carbon.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

bhall

It appears to be the tea tray.

aral

bhallg2k wrote:It appears to be the tea tray.
Yup! You can even see the shadow.

silversurf3r

[/url]http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/05/09/m ... pain/"[url]

MW says Mclaren likely to run high nose at Barca.

brucci2000

gilgen wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:It appears to be the tea tray.
Yup! You can even see the shadow.
Thanks for clearing that up - just one of those strange alignments in a picture. The complex surfaces of the cars can lead to all sorts of illusions on 2D photos - especially when they paint most of it in chrome!

gray41

Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***