Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
seinfeld
seinfeld

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

FrukostScones wrote:Image

maybe they need it for their ddrs
picture comparison: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 07992.html

I was about to say that as well. I dont have an explanation for it, but that seems logical!

I must say they are still keeping it looking very sexy. I hope they dont go crazy stepping like all the other teams. Its truly a monstrosity of car design to allow such mongoloid looking cars period!

kebab
kebab

seinfeld wrote:
FrukostScones wrote: maybe they need it for their ddrs
picture comparison: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 07992.html
I was about to say that as well. I dont have an explanation for it, but that seems logical!
I don't think the change is for DDRS readiness. What stop them build the DDRS in with the old nose given the fact that the new nose is thinner? This is more about moving the high nose design philosophy for better airflow.

FemiA
FemiA

ringo wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Oh just wait until Ringo see's this new McLaren nose. :lol: He's been on about the low nose from day one.

I don't think it's a big deal. Why not switch to something that works better if the team determines it is in fact better. The low nose can't be attributed directly to any poor performances.

Haven't been on here in a while..
Saw it from a mile away.
Yes it was only natural they switched. The regulations are so tight that every little performance advantage that can be had, must be had.

The mclaren nose was a dead spot; it was knowingly un-maximized. They knew it wasn't the best aerodynamically, but they thought it had something special to it. Desingn tradition and culture is to blame for this.
Anyway, there is no advantage aerodynamically with a low nose.
The aim is to get equal with the other teams, then find something to get ahead.

If you want to work the tyres right, you need the down-force; in the most consistent way which is at the center of the car. The higher the nose the faster and less disturbed the air is going to the floor and splitter.
When you wrote "the higher the nose" do you mean relative to the back of the car or the ground or both?

kebab
kebab

I understand it as the higher the underside of the nose in relation to the ground. In other words more space under the nose.

raymondu999

Surely it's the nose to front wing rather than nose to the ground?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

They run a test rig at the dffuser and some hump on the nose. What's that? Preparation for higher tub?

myoozikk
myoozikk

According to Whitmarsh, yes.

New vanes on the top of the sidepods as well.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

I was going to ask the same, also that Ham running low nose, and But running high nose, do people think this is driver preference or just the usual back-to-back testing of parts? One more question, I think I'm right in saying it's the start of Q1 when parc ferme comes into action, so that's when a decision needs to be made?

myoozikk
myoozikk

The bridge on the nose has already been removed. So must have been the visibility test as mentioned.

Hail22

Well its sort of Technical...the Mclaren crew has a new light systems on the jack to make sure everyone has compelted their duty by changing tyres (pointing at several pit failures from Macca in the earlier rounds).

Front wing looks to be working well for Button (visibility issues).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

astracrazy
astracrazy

ajdavison2 wrote:I was going to ask the same, also that Ham running low nose, and But running high nose, do people think this is driver preference or just the usual back-to-back testing of parts? One more question, I think I'm right in saying it's the start of Q1 when parc ferme comes into action, so that's when a decision needs to be made?
back to back at this stage but I wouldn't be surprised if both drivers alternate between both as well.

they will need to decide up to the start of q1. But i would expect they'd know by p3

adrianjordan

Hail22 wrote:Well its sort of Technical...the Mclaren crew has a new light systems on the jack to make sure everyone has compelted their duty by changing tyres (pointing at several pit failures from Macca in the earlier rounds).
I'll try and find a link to back this up, but McLaren have had that since the beginning of the season.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

New vanes on top of the sidepod.
Front wing remains the same, kinda disappointed with McLaren updates this season.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Huntresa
Huntresa

Owen.C93 wrote:New vanes on top of the sidepod.
[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/ ... 80.jpg[img]
Front wing remains the same, kinda disappointed with McLaren updates this season.
You do realize whitmarsch said the front wing is also new, changes doesnt need to be massive and it can be on the underside of the fw aswell.
Last edited by Richard on 11 May 2012, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Huntresa wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:New vanes on top of the sidepod.
[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/ ... 80.jpg[img]
You do realize whitmarsch said the front wing is also new, changes doesnt need to be massive and it can be on the underside of the fw aswell.
Doesn't look very new. All teams bring little tweaks, but also they have brought new ideas and significantly updated parts.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)