Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

alogoc wrote:
Shrieker wrote:I'd say the places terribly important traction wise are exit of T1, exit of the right/left slow chicane (T6 i think) and the penultimate corner. Others are more or less flowing corners where a lack traction likely won't raise it's ugly head.

so it's a bit in every sector! :D

very important on lap time!
Chicane is T6/7. While the chicane is slow and needs traction on exit - it's not crucial, because only a few car lengths later you're braking for T8. I'd argue T1 isn't very traction dependant either - it's downhill, which helps you on the drag down to T2.

The exit of T2 however (before blending into the flat out T3, and uphill towards T4 is important. Traction from the last 3 corners is probably more important than out of the chicane and out of T1, especially the last corner.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Jef Patat

Shakeman wrote:
matt_b wrote:I would say a small change to the suspension as this could also help improve tyre durability.
This is what I love about this forum, I get to rub shoulders with people who know more than the whole of McLaren's car development team.

I'd love to know what "small change" to the McLaren suspension would improve tyre durability? If this is a "small change" then can we ask why McLaren with all their computer models and knowledge lucked into the right setup?

Forgive the naivety of the question.
Point proven, and I love the way you did it =D>

turbof1

Shakeman wrote:
matt_b wrote:I would say a small change to the suspension as this could also help improve tyre durability.
This is what I love about this forum, I get to rub shoulders with people who know more than the whole of McLaren's car development team.

I'd love to know what "small change" to the McLaren suspension would improve tyre durability? If this is a "small change" then can we ask why McLaren with all their computer models and knowledge lucked into the right setup?

No he is right and at McLaren they know this too. The problem is: what kind of change? Implementing that is very difficult in car where every part works in a cohesive process with all the others. Matt is by all means not telling what McLaren should do, only that if McLaren succeeds in it, a suspension change would help.
Last edited by turbof1 on 25 Jul 2012, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

matt_b

I'd love to know what "small change" to the McLaren suspension would improve tyre durability?
I think that is the million dollar question. Its a obviously a very complex area, I only mention 'small' change because we saw what a dramatic effect the suspension can have on the car when you get it wrong, just look at Jensons car in Canada for example.

PhillipM

^It could be that every small change from where they are makes it worse... :lol:

alogoc

Hungaroring

THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Crash Bandicoot

Shakeman wrote:

I think that you are confusing computer models with the real world. While the simulator is very good, it doesn't always give a correct ananlysis of what will happen in real life. I'm sure that if you asked the whole of McLaren's car development team, they'd rather hammer round Silverstone for a few days making "small changes" than have to develop parts on the simulator and then test them in Friday practice.

mozza_84

Shakeman wrote:

And that's why they work for mclaren and you don't or the people you rub shoulders with. I think they know what there doing they always manage to turn a uncompetitive car into a winner so I guess they have a clue what there doing :wink:

Shakeman

mozza_84 wrote:
And that's why they work for mclaren and you don't or the people you rub shoulders with. I think they know what there doing they always manage to turn a uncompetitive car into a winner so I guess they have a clue what there doing :wink:
#-o

Sorry Pal, I was being sarcastic.

I grant you I cocked up the grammar.

ell66

Plutus wrote:
simieski wrote:Updates indeed on the way for Hungary and others according to quotes on Autosport.com

"There are some more updates for Hungary," said sporting director Sam Michael. "We will definitely be bringing parts there and then to Spa.

"For Monza, we will probably just have Monza-specific parts and then [another upgrade] at Singapore. That's where we are at.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101464
Thanks, sounds promising.
I hope McLaren are able to improve their performance and challenge Red Bull and Ferrari for the title and make just as interesting as in 2010.

I think there going to have to be very competetive at every type of circuit which i dont see happening and they also need some luck, alonso has a good lead and the ferrrari whilst not the fastest is good in all conditions and they make few mistakes as a team.

Nando

Do they run the new wheel nut system on both ends of the car now?
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

myurr

alogoc wrote:Hungaroring

That tunnel on the leading edge of the front wing looks even more extreme than before.

Owen.C93

It's the old front wing as well. Pre silverstone spec by the look of it.

Edit: Ok it's a little bit different perhaps, here's Germany spec with the new upper split upper plane and other modifications:
And Canadian Spec that they used until Silverstone which is more similar but as the above poster said has shorter part just inside the end plate:
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

hardingfv32

In the above photos, RW '4's end plate seems very thick. Almost like it is taking on a foil shape. Is this now common place among some teams? RW'3' seems to be uniformly thin.

Brian