Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
westech

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Yea its the new nose according to those pictures thanks.

Sevach

i would say the nose shape itself is the same, the FW supports might be different.

And of course the FW is the one tested during the YDT.

gray41

Anyone else think the pillars looks more like this / \ if viewed from above.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

aleks_ader

gray41 wrote:Anyone else think the pillars looks more like this / \ if viewed from above.
Sorry i think that was a optical illusion (in some sort it is, because the curvature is still the smaller like it seems)...

So they had new/old wing to make corelation/comparison between this two solution... Also maybe the same with the nose etc.

EDIT: Correction of wrong words about illusion percepcion...
Last edited by aleks_ader on 16 Nov 2012, 14:14, edited 2 times in total.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Intego

aleksandergreat wrote:
gray41 wrote:Anyone else think the pillars looks more like this / \ if viewed from above.
Nope its is optical illusion... THAT curvature is in direction if longitudinal axis of the car... And also they couldn't do that, because of rules...
And how do you explain Ferrari's FW pillars?
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

aleks_ader

And how do you explain Ferrari's FW pillars?
[img]http://f1zoom.fx1.nl/?year=2012&race=usa&img=561[img]
Yes i was wrong (look i edit previous post) and im sorry for confusion... Now i carefully look the rules boook and discover that small curvature it is still allovable in 25mm thick window and 10 mm radious...

Code: Select all

FIA 2012 regulations book

Any horizontal section taken through bodywork located forward of a point lying 450mm
forward of the front wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line, and
between 125mm and 200mm above the reference plane, may only contain two closed
symmetrical sections with a maximum total area of 5000mm2. The thickness of each section
may not exceed 25mm when measured perpendicular to the car centre line.

Once fully defined, the sections at 125mm above the reference plane must be projected
vertically to join the profile required by Article 3.7.3. A radius no greater than 10mm may be
used where these sections join.

Forward of a point lying 450mm ahead of the front wheel centre line and less than 250mm
from the car centre line and less than 125mm above the reference plane, only one single
section may be contained within any longitudinal vertical cross section parallel to the car
centre line. Furthermore, with the exception of local changes of section where the bodywork
defined in Article 3.7.2 attaches to this section, the profile, incidence and position of this
section must conform to drawing 7.
Source:
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

astracrazy

i don't think the 25mm thickness means it can only be between that measurement, i think that just meas the thickness of the pillar can be no more that 25mm. What curve you put on it i think is up to you? and the 10mm radius just refers the join allowed from pillar to front wing

mind you, that rule you posted for some reason confuses me too many engineer sentences, longitudinal vertical cross section etc etc lol

Forza

US GP 2012 - Friday Free Practice

raymondu999

Not sure if this should be more appropriate here or in the team thread.

I just noticed that McLaren's pit light "lollipop", on the back - has green/red lights indicating which stations are done & dusted. They don't activate all at once - they activate LED by LED. The one on top is for the rear jack, then each of the 4 tyres, then the one on the bottom is for the front jack. The one on the side is seemingly for the sidejack, in the case of a front wing change.

Does anyone know how they're getting activated? I don't think the "lollipop man" would have quick enough reactions to respond to that and turn those green. Any ideas?

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

allstaruk08

I'm guessing the triggers on the wheel guns will have a electrical connection to the pit light system and the jacks will have a wireless connection based on when the rear jack is dropped when they pull the trigger.

seinfeld

that front wing has had elements removed. and they still picked up downforce! WTF.the new wing looks much more simple. yet Hamilton Smashed that last race. goes to show 20 element front wings are not as important. can anyone tell me why removing those elements gave them more D/F

Nando

Maybe it helps feeding the rear of the car with either more or better quality air which increases downforce at the rear which in turn allows them to run the front wing at a slightly more aggressive angle?

No idea tbh.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

beelsebob

seinfeld wrote:that front wing has had elements removed. and they still picked up downforce! WTF.
Neatly demonstrating the falacy that so many people on this forum fall into. More complicated does not equate with better. More elements does not equate with more downforce. In fact, generally, it equates with more drag, and needs to work oh so much harder at producing downforce to make that work.
the new wing looks much more simple. yet Hamilton Smashed that last race.
No "yet" is needed, in engineering, simple things are often (usually in fact) the better solutions.
goes to show 20 element front wings are not as important. can anyone tell me why removing those elements gave them more D/F
because the wing is better designed. Here's an example profile for a wing, it's got 100 elements, it's pretty obvious why it doesn't generate more downforce than the current one:

The answer really is as simple as that – "zomg it has more elements" is not "it must produce more downforce". The key to more downforce is designing the shape cleverly to cause more air to change direction. That's not simply a matter of adding more elements.

PlatinumZealot

seinfeld wrote:that front wing has had elements removed. and they still picked up downforce! WTF.the new wing looks much more simple. yet Hamilton Smashed that last race. goes to show 20 element front wings are not as important. can anyone tell me why removing those elements gave them more D/F
A lot of assumptions you make though.
The FW very likely has LESS downforce.
There might be a NET downforce gain, down the car OR... same down-force but more aero-efficiency so they can turn up the the rear wing. Only Paddy Lowe can tell you.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏