Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Ferrari F2012

medeni73 wrote:
Hail22 wrote:I guess we can all agree we are awaiting in anticipation for this holy grail Fry/Byrne Floor?

:D =D> :mrgreen: hope it shows up on the last day of testing or in Melbourne :)
According to joseluis Byrne floor was already tested in Barcelona but not the final version...
What are the thoughts on the floor material? Is it carbon fiber, just a tighter weave or are they using a different epoxy to set it up?
Honda!

Crucial_Xtreme

dren wrote:
medeni73 wrote:
Hail22 wrote:I guess we can all agree we are awaiting in anticipation for this holy grail Fry/Byrne Floor?

:D =D> :mrgreen: hope it shows up on the last day of testing or in Melbourne :)
According to joseluis Byrne floor was already tested in Barcelona but not the final version...
What are the thoughts on the floor material? Is it carbon fiber, just a tighter weave or are they using a different epoxy to set it up?
There are a few different rumors. Of course it's made of "advanced materials", Scarbs has noticed it looks different compared to the other cars. Another is that that it could be heated in the diffuser area. And lastly, some sort of hole, but it's unclear if they're speaking literally or if they're speaking of a "loop hole".

F1.Ru

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Here's the launch wheel nuts
http://cdn.f1zone.net/news/wp-content/g ... 56_new.jpg

Barcelona
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1972/bcnnewexhaust.jpg

Different than last year but I don't believed they've changed this year.

150 Italia
http://www.autoevolution.com/images/new ... 1055_1.jpg

Thanks but what i was trying to say is that they r indeed trying different things on every aspect of their car. Even they don't spare their wheelnut nd when i say its different i means "Different than last year"........... hope now its ok... :D
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Crucial_Xtreme

F1.Ru wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Here's the launch wheel nuts
http://cdn.f1zone.net/news/wp-content/g ... 56_new.jpg

Barcelona
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1972/bcnnewexhaust.jpg

Different than last year but I don't believed they've changed this year.

150 Italia
http://www.autoevolution.com/images/new ... 1055_1.jpg

Thanks but what i was trying to say is that they r indeed trying different things on every aspect of their car. Even they don't spare their wheelnut nd when i say its different i means "Different than last year"........... hope now its ok... :D
Ok I understand now. I thought you meant different from testing. Yes indeed they've changed the wheelnuts too. Hopefully this helps with the poor pitstops of 2011.

Chuckjr

Could someone please explain to me why heating the diffuser floor would be of benefit from an aerodynamic perspective?
Watching F1 since 1986.

F1.Ru

Chuckjr wrote:Could someone please explain to me why heating the diffuser floor would be of benefit from an aerodynamic perspective?
Here teams are not trying to heat up the diffuser floor instead they are trying to seal the gap between the car body and the rear tyre........... this will make them able to run their car with a rake angle and will help to generate downforce by making the whole car pressed to the ground. Like a one piece wing that is as close as possible to the ground to take the advangates of ground effect.

For ur better understandings plz read......> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_%28cars%29

Crucial_Xtreme

F1.Ru wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:Could someone please explain to me why heating the diffuser floor would be of benefit from an aerodynamic perspective?
Here teams are not trying to heat up the diffuser floor instead they are trying to seal the gap between the car body and the rear tyre........... this will make them able to run their car with a rake angle and will help to generate downforce by making the whole car pressed to the ground. Like a one piece wing that is as close as possible to the ground to take the advangates of ground effect.

For ur better understandings plz read......> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_%28cars%29
No he's speaking of the rumored F2012 floor created by Rory Byrne. It's rumored to have/be a couple different things. A "heated floor/diffuser" is one of them.

F1.Ru

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
F1.Ru wrote:
No he's speaking of the rumored F2012 floor created by Rory Byrne. It's rumored to have/be a couple different things. A "heated floor/diffuser" is one of them.
OK, a heated floor/diffuser will create a low atmospheric pressure zone and which will pull more air toward the rear end and thus caz more air to feed to the diffuser. And a heated floor will carry the air to seal the gap between the tyre and floor.

Richard

Ferrari team talk posts now have their own thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12096

Only post into this thread if is discussing a feature on this car.

wesley123

F1.Ru wrote:OK, a heated floor/diffuser will create a low atmospheric pressure zone and which will pull more air toward the rear end and thus caz more air to feed to the diffuser. And a heated floor will carry the air to seal the gap between the tyre and floor.
Okay so you know that exhaust gasses are 800 degrees and the floor will max. be 100 degrees. See where I am going? A heated floor will do nothing at all other than become hot. First of all the heated floor only will heat the air a minimal amount, it does not blow anything uless the EBD, blowing 800+ degrees exhaust gasses in this area.

The gain achieved by a 'hot floor' will be 0.0 and only overcomplicate things
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bhall

wesley123 wrote:The gain achieved by a 'hot floor' will be 0.0 and only overcomplicate things
Not necessarily, though I do agree with you that a heated floor will not be beneficial in any way if it's used as described here thus far. However, it could have value as a heat exchanger to complement, but not entirely replace, the traditional radiator cooling for the engine, which would then allow the sidepods to be shrunk accordingly into a more efficient aerodynamic shape. It would be a sort of hybrid design between tried-and-true conventional cooling and the Brabham BT46, and the F2012's sidepods do seem designed to readily accept such a development.

(Of course, my brain often has a mind of its own, and none of that could make any sense at all. Let that be a grain or two of salt to season your pondering.)

Owen.C93

Yeah there's no way they can get enough energy in the floor to heat up surrounding air enough to even come close to affecting aero.

Using it as cooling sounds plausible, but I don't know what the regs are for that.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Afterburner

That would be very useful cooling kers for example. Anyone knows where they store batteries on the F2012?

bhall

The KERS batteries are under the fuel tank according to Scarbs.

(And, of course, I meant to say heatsink, rather than heat exchanger, in my earlier post.)

Paul

Anyone knows or can take an educated guess about the total cooling area of radiators as they are now? That could help in determining if using floor as a sort of a heat-sink is feasible.