Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
thisisatest

Re: Ferrari F2012

Crabbia wrote:
radosav wrote: that is just oil leaking
no, to the left and up (towards the front of the car) of the acer sign, on the side of the sidepod. it cant be oil. not all the way out there.

and it looks like unpainted CF.
i think it's a reflected image of the floor next to it.

DEVO

aleksandergreat wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:This car looks DOA.
What is that DOA??
Dead On Arrival

Crucial_Xtreme

Also new for the F2012 and it's new floor & diffuser. See the slots ahead of rear tyre

alogoc

DOA

One thousand new parts and nothing works

race sim massa one second off RB
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

lombers

I believe it's too early to comment on any of the teams pace. Testing is just that, if we even knew half of what the teams were doing it would still be impossible to draw any conclusions.

Back on topic and as mentioned previously, it appears the Ferrari exhaust is now blowing at the beam wing very similar to the RBR. Rumour has it however that RBR have a different exhaust layout that is expected to be seen towards the end of the test. It's obvious that all teams are doing a lot of work around this area, I'm also curious as to what the final positions will be at the first race of the season.

I expect to see quite a few changes in the next few days of testing.

bhall

Not for nothing, this is all precisely on-topic. :wink:

Look at the exhaust housing. That they haven't yet adapted the bodywork for the more inboard exhaust leads me to believe that they didn't anticipate moving the exhaust at all and so they simply do not have bodywork made for the change.

The floor ahead of the rear wheels appears as if it's been sanded down to clean up the mess made by having to haphazardly cut out those holes.

None of this appears to be the result of confident engineering.

I don't know. I think tomorrow's testing will tell the definitive story.

radosav

bhallg2k wrote:Not for nothing, this is all precisely on-topic. :wink:

Look at the exhaust housing. That they haven't yet adapted the bodywork for the more inboard exhaust leads me to believe that they didn't anticipate moving the exhaust at all and so they simply do not have bodywork made for the change.

The floor ahead of the rear wheels appears as if it's been sanded down to clean up the mess made by having to haphazardly cut out those holes.

they are improvising a bit, nothing bad in that.

Pierce89

bhallg2k wrote:Not for nothing, this is all precisely on-topic. :wink:

They always said they would try all their different exhaust ideas during testing. I think Ferrari will arrive in Melbourne ready to fight. I hope we see a new front wing, the current one isn't exactly sexy. Traditionally, Ferrari would shed their launh front wing toward the end of the last test, but last year this wing was a "2012 development" item, so, who knows?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pup
Pup

bhallg2k wrote:Look at the exhaust housing. That they haven't yet adapted the bodywork for the more inboard exhaust leads me to believe that they didn't anticipate moving the exhaust at all and so they simply do not have bodywork made for the change.

I've been quietly cringing about this stuff, too, because as a Macca guy it all reminds me way too much of the MP4-24 in testing, with it's glued together diffusers and hacksawed bodywork. And I can remember convincing myself that it was all ok and they were just waiting until the last moment to unleash the 'diffuser of justice', I believe we called it. I think it showed up in Germany.

But - having said that, I also saw McLaren turn an equally questionable car 180° last year almost magically before the first race, so don't give up hope. It's just how life is with Pat Fry I think.

Pup
Pup

I know that they use the Toyota tunnel, just like a lot of the teams, but you're saying they bought it? Forgive me for being skeptical, but it seems like we'd have heard more about something like that.

I thought part of the issue was that they're still having trouble matching tunnel data, at least that's what I've read on other forums, however untrustworthy a source that may be.

Jack Malone

Hail22 wrote:This year Ferrari has two wind tunnels so you are all aware, they purchased Toyotas Wind Tunnel in France (considered to be the second largest Formula 1 wind tunnel) as well as their own tunnel at Maranello.

The difference from this year to last year is that the car is now being tested in a tunnel that is correctly calobrated and the information correlated to the engineers and technicians is accurate.

Two wind tunnels, lots of components = a lot of variable testing = Championship winning car.

Lets wait for Melbourne but if Ferrari mechanics as well as engineers are smiling with Massa they must be on top of something after the endless work (rumoured they pulled a 72 hour rotation shift on new components and internals).

As far as I know, Toyota´s wind tunnel is in Germany (Cologne) and they did not sold it. Ferrari and Williams used it las year, but as rental, just like nay team or car factory can do.
Toyota still owns it and used it to develop their new TS030 Le Mans car.

bhall

Chuckjr wrote:Actually, I would think any lesser team would be SCRAMBLING right now to come to terms with doing something like that.
That's funny because it's exactly what I see happening with Ferrari right now.

Does anyone know if Ferrari is obliged to eliminate the more outboard exhaust housings if they end up using the more inboard exhaust?

If legal, would you want to do that?

Hail22

bhallg2k wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:Actually, I would think any lesser team would be SCRAMBLING right now to come to terms with doing something like that.
That's funny because it's exactly what I see happening with Ferrari right now.

Does anyone know if Ferrari is obliged to eliminate the more outboard exhaust housings if they end up using the more inboard exhaust?

If legal, would you want to do that?
If the body work remains its good for the flow of the air over the sidepods and forces it into the new beam wing ;) hope it is legal its longer bodywork :P
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

bhall

Code: Select all

3.8.4 Any vertical cross section of bodywork normal to the car centre line situated in the volumes defined below must form one tangent continuous curve on its external surface. This tangent continuous curve may not contain any radius less than 75mm :

a) The volume between 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line and 300mm rearward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template, which is more than 25mm from the car centre line and more than 100mm above the reference plane.

[B, C, D omitted]

3.8.5 Once the relevant bodywork surfaces are defined in accordance with Article 3.8.4, apertures, any of which may adjoin or overlap each other, may be added for the following purposes only:

a) Single apertures either side of the car centre line for the purpose of exhaust exits. These apertures may have a combined area of no more than 50,000mm2 when projected onto the surface itself. No point on an aperture may be more than 350mm from any other point on the aperture.

b) Apertures either side of the car centre line for the purpose of allowing suspension members and driveshafts to protrude through the bodywork. Only one aperture may be added for each suspension member and no such aperture may have an area greater than 12,000 mm2 when projected onto the surface itself. No point on an aperture may be more than 200mm from any other point on the aperture.

5.8.1 With the exception of incidental leakage through exhaust joints (either into or out of the system), no fluids, other than those which emerge from the engine exhaust ports, may be admitted into the engine exhaust system.

5.8.2 Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits, both of which must be rearward facing tailpipes, through which all exhaust gases must pass.

5.8.3 The last 100mm of any tailpipe must in its entirety :

a) Form a thin‐walled unobstructed right circular cylinder whose internal diameter is no greater than 75mm with its axis at +/‐10° to the car centre line when viewed from above the car and between +10° and +30° (tail‐up) to the reference plane when viewed from the side of the car. The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.

b) Be located between 250mm and 600mm above the reference plane.

c) Be located between 200mm and 500mm from the car centre line.

d) Be positioned in order that the entire circumference of the exit of the tailpipe lies between two vertical planes normal to the car centre line and which lie 500mm and 1200mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.

5.8.4 Once the exhaust tailpipes, the bodywork required by Article 3.8.4 and any apertures permitted by Article 3.8.5 have been fully defined there must be no bodywork lying within a right circular truncated cone which :

a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.

b) Has a forward diameter equal to that of each exhaust exit.

c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as the rear wheel centre line.

d) Has a half‐cone angle of 3° such that the cone has its larger diameter at the rear wheel centre line.

Furthermore, there must be a view from above, the side, or any intermediate angle perpendicular to the car centre line, from which the truncated cone is not obscured by any bodywork lying more than 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
I speak English, not Regulation, so there's the relevant portion of the technical regulations (I think) for someone else to figure out.

For the life of me, I simply cannot draw in my head what those words describe.
Last edited by bhall on 02 Mar 2012, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

MIKEY_!

That's what we have scarbs for :lol: