Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Ferrari F2012

bhallg2k wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
The changes to the engine cover resulting from the larger aft hot air vent give that bodywork its most cohesive overall shape yet. It looks like a proper design now rather than a mere collection of body panels.

I'm still looking for a way to put some faith into the promise offered by new developments. However, it's proving to be very, very difficult given the team's significant miscalculations with the outboard exhaust. I wonder what all that has skewed directly and if other parts of the car are fraught with similar mistakes.
I don't think they miscalculated on the launch exhaust config. I think that exhaust probably gives the best results, a la McLaren. I think there's an underlying problem elsewhere that probably forced the team to go in a different direction. I think it's probably the same problem that is causing the car to randomly lose balance/DF.

Now that Fry said they would have to develop the launch exhaust further to race it, I wonder if we'll lose the Acer ducts & go to something more conventional.

@rodsav the team tested it before the race stint & after as you said. It got plenty of laps today. :))

radosav

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
The changes to the engine cover resulting from the larger aft hot air vent give that bodywork its most cohesive overall shape yet. It looks like a proper design now rather than a mere collection of body panels.

I'm still looking for a way to put some faith into the promise offered by new developments. However, it's proving to be very, very difficult given the team's significant miscalculations with the outboard exhaust. I wonder what all that has skewed directly and if other parts of the car are fraught with similar mistakes.
I don't think they miscalculated on the launch exhaust config. I think that exhaust probably gives the best results, a la McLaren. I think there's an underlying problem elsewhere that probably forced the team to go in a different direction. I think it's probably the same problem that is causing the car to randomly lose balance/DF.

Now that Fry said they would have to develop the launch exhaust further to race it, I wonder if we'll lose the Acer ducts & go to something more conventional.

@rodsav the team tested it before the race stint & after as you said. It got plenty of laps today. :))
good, i just wanted to say that todays race sim wasn't true potential of the car with all those used tyres and without full aero package

Mr.G

Guys, pls, coul someone of the native speakers "translate" this?
When asked by AUTOSPORT about what position he felt the team was in now as pre-season testing nears it conclusion, he said: "Reasonable shape I suppose. You are always going to be happy when you are sitting there half a second a lap quicker than everyone knowing that you have still got 60 kilos of fuel in the car. I think we have got a lot of work to do. We just need to keep on.
I'm not sure from that if they was 0.5s + 60 kg fuel on board quicker or if they want to be or what? I look on some sites in my native langueage and each one has it translated totaly differently :(
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Forza Ferrari

Mr.G wrote:Guys, pls, coul someone of the native speakers "translate" this?
When asked by AUTOSPORT about what position he felt the team was in now as pre-season testing nears it conclusion, he said: "Reasonable shape I suppose. You are always going to be happy when you are sitting there half a second a lap quicker than everyone knowing that you have still got 60 kilos of fuel in the car. I think we have got a lot of work to do. We just need to keep on.
I'm not sure from that if they was 0.5s + 60 kg fuel on board quicker or if they want to be or what? I look on some sites in my native langueage and each one has it translated totaly differently :(

It simply means that , like any other team, Ferrari would be very happy to have a 0.5sec edge over the rest of the field...

He just says that this would be an ideal situation but it's not the reality :D

Hope it helps !

bhall

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I don't think they miscalculated on the launch exhaust config [...]
I do. Fry's admitted as much with his comments on the subject. When he says something like...
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Now that Fry said they would have to develop the launch exhaust further to race it, I wonder if we'll lose the Acer ducts & go to something more conventional.
...he's saying they miscalculated things. Unless they're frying the rear tires, I can't think of a way in which the exhaust would effect balance. And even then, the balance isn't likely to come and go as has been reported. Fried tires would mean that the balance is just gone.

I pondered that last bit last night, so I'll quote myself here, not to be a prick, but because I'm lazy.
bhallg2k wrote:OK. Going on the assumption that the outer exhaust housings are permitted when the more inboard exhausts are being used, the question is, do you keep them?

I think they should be eliminated, and I suspect that will happen, too.

I don't think the housings were necessarily designed with a downward slope for performance reasons. That downward slope kept the car legal despite the contradictory regulation calling for the exhaust pipe itself to be angled up.

3.8.4 Any vertical cross section of bodywork normal to the car centre line situated in the volumes defined below must form one tangent continuous curve on its external surface. This tangent continuous curve may not contain any radius less than 75mm. [Emphasis is mine.]

All bodywork in that area naturally slopes downward simply because that's just how contemporary sidepods are designed, so any related bodywork is required to follow the same curve.

Now that they appear to be focusing the exhausts on the beam wing, I don't see a point in keeping the old housings, even if they provide a cooling benefit or help to direct air flow to the back. I think it's better to have nothing there at all, because it's always easiest to move air through an otherwise empty space.

Does any of this make even a lick of sense?
Last edited by bhall on 03 Mar 2012, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

Mazdaboy

There is a slot on the rear wing:

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

bhall

That's DRS.

EDIT: That's the gap between the wing elements, the top one being movable as the DRS.

jordangp

bhallg2k wrote:That's DRS.

EDIT: That's the gap between the wing elements, the top one being movable as the DRS.
Maybe he has a point? Look at the bottom of the main plane? Although it could just be the lighting, and shading of the wing curving?
Last edited by jordangp on 03 Mar 2012, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mazdaboy

No no no! That's what i'm say:

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Mr.G

Yes, it's a slot. Gap between the wing elements is under the Santander logo.

FORZA FERRARI - Thanks, this is how I translated it for my self, but I want to be sure.
Last edited by Mr.G on 03 Mar 2012, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

bhall

Oh. My first reaction would be to dismiss that as a reflection. (Which is what I did when I didn't even consider that you could be asking about that in particular.)

But, I'd like to see another picture to be sure.

jordangp

Legally, this area (excluding the central 150mm) can't have more than 1 section to it. So any hole inside it, would not be allowed?

myurr

Definitely a slot. I can see a protest if they race that...

Mr.G

isn't it similar to F-duckt wing solution? From front it looks like one section, but not fully closed. Or this was changed after F-duckt season?

Mr.G

I'm not aerodynamic, but his is how I imagine when I see the slot. Could it be possible? There are some type of slots on the sides on the rear of the wing. And what if the flow around the botom side of the wing suck the air form the inside of the wing and then it suck the air of the rear sides from the wing? Could this be some aerobenefit or is total crap? :)

Or maybe is only a reflection similar to transparent engine cover :D