Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Goran2812
Goran2812

Re: Ferrari F2012

argh, that aluminium tank on top of the left sidepod... doesn't make sense at all to put it there...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

I know having the cars static is the best way to compare rake, but it's almost impossible to get the cars still and the picture taken from the exact same spot. So I have some comparison pics taken from the exact same spot on straights, not going in to turns or anything. You can tell the RB8 is running much more rake than the F2012. The F2012 ran as much as the RB8, but only in pre-season testing.

Right click>view image

Chuckjr

I know the main use for a high rake is for lowering the front wing angle of attack and lower front edga as well as increased diffuser volume output. Are there other bennifits in regard to suspension that it helps?
Watching F1 since 1986.

kebab
kebab

I think the primary reason for running higher rake is to maximise DF generated by the diffuser if you can seal it with exhaust gas, no?

Lycoming
Lycoming

more rake = higher front wing angle of attack.

But it is primarily to help the diffuser.

banibhusan

Chuckjr wrote:I know the main use for a high rake is for lowering the front wing angle of attack and lower front edga as well as increased diffuser volume output. Are there other bennifits in regard to suspension that it helps?
It helps run a softer suspension set-up may be!!

aral
aral

Goran2812 wrote:argh, that aluminium tank on top of the left sidepod... doesn't make sense at all to put it there...
Why not? Space is tight and there may be nowhere else to put it. Further, it could well be filled with air, to operate the valves, so would have little weight.

Goran2812
Goran2812

gilgen wrote:
Goran2812 wrote:argh, that aluminium tank on top of the left sidepod... doesn't make sense at all to put it there...
Why not? Space is tight and there may be nowhere else to put it. Further, it could well be filled with air, to operate the valves, so would have little weight.
yes i know, but that tank, and another, smaller on the other sides are the reason they have those larger bulges on top of the sidepods... that has to obstruct airflow in some way...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Mazdaboy

Here is a rake comparsion CX:

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Mazdaboy wrote:Here is a rake comparsion CX:
Perfect. Thanks mate. RB is clearly back to their old ways. Our FW looks awful high off the ground in comparison too.

radosav
radosav

this ain't good comparison. look at the plank board, the angle of pcture isn't the same, or ferrari is closer to photographer.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

radosav wrote:this ain't good comparison. look at the plank board, the angle of pcture isn't the same, or ferrari is closer to photographer.
It's pretty decent, there aren't many great shots of the cars from the exact same angle from Bahrain. It looks like the Ferrari was taken from a slightly different angle, but it's a good comparison I think. I think we all agree Ferrari can't currently run the same amount of rake as some of the others.

radosav
radosav

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
radosav wrote:this ain't good comparison. look at the plank board, the angle of pcture isn't the same, or ferrari is closer to photographer.
It's pretty decent, there aren't many great shots of the cars from the exact same angle from Bahrain. It looks like the Ferrari was taken from a slightly different angle, but it's a good comparison I think. I think we all agree Ferrari can't currently run the same amount of rake as some of the others.
i know, i wanted to say that photos are taken when cars are in the corner where track is angled , and cars aren't in the same racing line (ferrari took wider line) so it looks like ferrari's front wing is much higher from the ground.

f1316
f1316

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Mazdaboy wrote:Here is a rake comparsion CX:
Perfect. Thanks mate. RB is clearly back to their old ways. Our FW looks awful high off the ground in comparison too.
Can someone explain to me what I should be looking for here? To my, untrained, eyes there's not much difference between all three. I take it on faith from other, better qualified, members of the forum that there is a difference, so my question is what areas should I be looking at in order to judge this? Thanks.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

This is the best I can do with the pictures available.

@f1316 the larger the rake, the more the rear of the car is up in the air and the more the front of the car is closer to the ground. Look at the angle of the floor from back to front.