Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FakeAlonso

Re: Ferrari F2012

bhallg2k wrote:Image
(Click to enlarge)
Are they still trying to make their original exhaust to work?

Scalex

Thanks bhall 8) appreciated!

Have now been looking at this for half an hour and I couldn't tell; depending on the frame it looks different or it doesn't... :?

Crucial_Xtreme

FakeAlonso wrote:
Well the team said they would use the exhaust position that worked best. That could be the first solution Fernando used the first day of Mugello or something different. However I feel sure this was just to transport the car and doesn't really mean anything. They wouldn't want cameras getting a glimpse of the new stuff if they didn't have to let them.

I think the Jerez like exhaust Fernando used in Mugello with the long downspout could work well but I'm pretty sure we'll see something we haven't seen yet in regards to the exhaust & sidepods.

Scalex

In all honesty, that's what makes sense for me too. However the image led me to a doubt... so I thought, hell, let's share the uncertainty.. :lol:

Now seriously, we'll see on Friday.. Another strange thing (to me) is the kind of transport they choose for bringing the car in... Never seen such an "anonimous" vehicle being used... One would think they wanted to pass unadverted, if only it wasn't that it was really unlikely to succeed...

FakeAlonso

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
FakeAlonso wrote:
Well the team said they would use the exhaust position that worked best. That could be the first solution Fernando used the first day of Mugello or something different. However I feel sure this was just to transport the car and doesn't really mean anything. They wouldn't want cameras getting a glimpse of the new stuff if they didn't have to let them.

I think the Jerez like exhaust Fernando used in Mugello with the long downspout could work well but I'm pretty sure we'll see something we haven't seen yet in regards to the exhaust & sidepods.
Well Crucial you really think the lunch exhaust might work???? I personally don't think so.

If the team is still trying to find something on the original exhaust either they know something will give more benefit.... or they don't know what route to go with it.

However I agree with you that they don't want to show the new parts so early and that's why is mounted the old exhaust.

Crucial_Xtreme

FakeAlonso wrote:
Well Crucial you really think the lunch exhaust might work???? I personally don't think so.

If the team is still trying to find something on the original exhaust either they know something will give more benefit.... or they don't know what route to go with it.

However I agree with you that they don't want to show the new parts so early and that's why is mounted the old exhaust.
If they changed some other parts of the car I think it would work. That said I don't think we go that route. I think we see a new exhaust we haven't seen before. Either something completely new, or some sort of iteration similar to the last day of Mugello.

radosav

that was probably felipe's car that hasn't been touched since day 2 of mugello test

Teechnical

The first exhaust we tried was the one with the tongue hopefully diverting gases down thanks to the Coanda Effect.
So maybe it worked.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

Chuckjr

Teechnical wrote:The first exhaust we tried was the one with the tongue hopefully diverting gases down thanks to the Coanda Effect.
So maybe it worked.
I thought the tongue was not legal for racing, no?
Watching F1 since 1986.

raymondu999

I think as long as the tongue can be made to be "bodywork" rather than part of the "exhaust" it should be legal.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
FakeAlonso wrote:

If they changed some other parts of the car I think it would work. That said I don't think we go that route. I think we see a new exhaust we haven't seen before. Either something completely new, or some sort of iteration similar to the last day of Mugello.
I expect a more aggressive version of the newest exhaust.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Chuckjr

raymondu999 wrote:I think as long as the tongue can be made to be "bodywork" rather than part of the "exhaust" it should be legal.
That would be fantastic. I hope they do that. [-o<

Edit:

Question, could they use something like a quick adjustable tongue exhaust ramp mechanism that could spin the output tongue .5mm each click? A mechanic could turn it right or left to match the exact place the exhaust is best utilized per temp/conditions at track that day? Is that feasible/legal/pathetic idea?
Watching F1 since 1986.

Gilles 27

Imho the F2012 would have a new nose,wings and difusor. The exhaust would be that from day 3 Mugello Test, the design accuracy from that piece don't looks (finally) only as the solution, it make the whole car aerodynamic work harmonic.
This conclusion I have, because since the last version of the exhaust was installed, without having to push Alonso make immediately low 1:22 on the track.
This is my opinion ;-)

alogoc

from Twitter

Alex @ AMorteF
F2012B: New wings / rear, flat base / diffuser, exhaust, pontoons, rear brake ducts, turning vanes curved and some surprises ...
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

enz0

alogoc wrote:from Twitter

Alex @ AMorteF
F2012B: New wings / rear, flat base / diffuser, exhaust, pontoons, rear brake ducts, turning vanes curved and some surprises ...
Sorry if this may sound a bit naive, but what exactly are pontoons and what do you mean by flat base? :)