Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
HIEQS

Barcelona Ferrari F2012

there were 2 exhaust system tested in mugello... may be they need confirmation and direct comparison of the 2 system in friday practice before selecting the one they will go for. i.e testing the 2 system with all the new components to confirm which one provide the bigger gain and works better with all the upgrades.
"Vision of one, needs power of many" - High IQ & EQ society - http://www.hieqs.org

luicchi

Re: Ferrari F2012

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
luicchi wrote:what aboout the new nose ....anyone ...pictures ????
I doubt the new parts are even in Montmelo. I would think they will arrive later today. The pictures you see are generic in what they mean as far as different configurations. The cars must go through scrutineering today so no new parts will be on the cars. At least not any we can see. We won't see any new parts until tomorrow in FP1.
yep... you are right ...today just the generic...but i think that the new parts are already there in BCN.But yes we are going to see them just in fp1

.poz

luicchi wrote:
Nando wrote:Different exhaust/exhaust housings for Massa and Alonso?
Looks like Alonso will run the Acer and Massa the newest version :S
dont believe in it!!!Alonso will run with new one for sure!!!
I think they will test more than one solution in FP1 FP2, probably we will see an evolution of the "tongue" we have seen in Mugello

Crucial_Xtreme

Not much new here

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 10 May 2012, 16:05, edited 2 times in total.

madly

bhall

I will now expose my complete lack of understanding of aerodynamics.

Could the exhaust plume be directed somehow by placing riblets along the path one wants it to follow?

Scalex

Edit: I somehow read rivets instead of riblets...

bhall

EDIT: Yes, riblets.

(The word riblets in my previous post is a link to a pdf on the subject. I don't think my links show up all the time. If not: http://torroja.dmt.upm.es/pubs/2011/rgm ... rans11.pdf )

Crabbia

madly wrote:Image
looking at this pic it looks as tho there is another exit slit underneath the ducts (if you look just below the R in "ACER" you can see there is light comming out of it from above.

Can anyone here take a guess at how the slots are affecting the exhaust gas if they are at all?

Also, how are ferrari getting away with all these slots if there is the one opening rule? i thought the previous loophole they used on the F10 for the gills was closed. and didnt that have to be a single opening?
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

bhall

The slot you describe is but a reflection. That becomes more apparent when you compare the two pictures of the exhaust on this page.

The gills are, in fact, one continuous opening in the bodywork. If you look closely, you can see that they're all connected. Teams exploit this loophole not only in exhaust apertures, but also in the ones for the suspension members.

f1316

My understanding was that the gills were for cooling of the radiators because Ferrari choose to cool from the sidepods rather than through the back of the engine cover like most other teams. Therefore whilst the the gills are in the sidepod, like the exhaust, they not connected to the exhaust pipe itself, which has no opening other than that at the end.

That was what I understood, but I could be wrong.
Last edited by f1316 on 10 May 2012, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Crabbia

bhallg2k wrote:The slot you describe is but a reflection. That becomes more apparent when you compare the two pictures of the exhaust on this page.

The gills are, in fact, one continuous opening in the bodywork. If you look closely, you can see that they're all connected. Teams exploit this loophole not only in exhaust apertures, but also in the ones for the suspension members.
You are right looking at the other photo it's probably a reflection from the gold on the seat.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

p910iFrank

Italian paper is talking about new electronic
box that Pat Fry brought. this morning.

Cuky

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Image
Is it only me or those acer ducts are placed lower than before?

Gilles 27

Cuky wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Image
Is it only me or those acer ducts are placed lower than before?
It's you only... :wink:

1.The perspective
2. The piece is not horizontal