Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Ferrari F2012

There might be a little bit. Looks like it's for a bit of damper cooling anyway since Ferrari route cooling through the acer ducts not through the gearbox like other teams.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Cacarella
Cacarella

hardingfv32 wrote:What makes you think any flow is going in this hole (yellow arrow) after rounding that bend in front of it. This going to be a low pressure zone. I also doubt there will be any useful flow for the red circled zone to utilize.

Brian

Given my limited knowledge of the subject I'd say that the yellow hole is one of two things (as are most holes on F1 cars);

1. An inlet
2. an Outlet

Based on the shape and position, I'd say it's an inlet. For what? I can only speculate that Ferrari has located some KERS capacitors in the rear floor a-la Red bull and this is aiding cooling.

Given my limited knowledge of aerodynamics I'd guess that this is a low pressure zone but there must be some flow going to that arrow. The low pressure may seem exaggerated because of the overhang of the acer duct but that is if you only take into account flow that is traveling over the top of the sidepods. There's obviously flow traveling around them as well so it's probably this air that is reaching it. If there was absolutely no air traveling in that area RedBull wouldn't have gone to the trouble of creating a side-pod 'bridge' to that area.

Cuky

My thoughts are that it is an access point for rear suspension adjustment. Given that it is in very low pressure zone it would not hurt them with drag really

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Cuky wrote:My thoughts are that it is an access point for rear suspension adjustment. Given that it is in very low pressure zone it would not hurt them with drag really
They would cover it if it was. Even if you don't think it's draggy you have to consider debris.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Cacarella
Cacarella

Not sure if it's been pointed out or simply obvious to everyone else
(I swear I've read this thread from beginning to end)

But Fernando and Felipe seem to be using different mirrors.
Must be driver preference, no?

EDIT or perhaps Fernando's are worth eight tenths?

Last edited by Cacarella on 11 May 2012, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

jaba.hut

It is different. It is obvious.

strad

The mirrors are not different or I'm blind,,,the stalks are different...and that would be to fit the driver.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

Hmmm.. interesting. Massa and Hamilton are the only drivers to have knowingly requested higher mirrors.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

amouzouris

n smikle wrote:Hmmm.. interesting. Massa and Hamilton are the only drivers to have knowingly requested higher mirrors.
i wonder why that is!! ;p

Nando
Nando

Alonso sits lower, lower mirrors.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

A couple of interesting shots here.

Check out the gurney flaps on the diffuser

The carbon piece seems to be gone. I thought originally it was a cooling exit, but not so much now.

xpensive
xpensive

Guess the Scuderia is waiting for another race to drop the big one, right Z and X2?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

extrater
extrater

strad wrote:The mirrors are not different or I'm blind,,,the stalks are different...and that would be to fit the driver.
As Nando said, difference in driver position.

amouzouris

wow! there is a gurney flap on the gurney flap! :D

amouzouris

haha! that's right X!