Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Teechnical

Re: Ferrari F2012

Of all the new updates, which one was really the spark that helped improve the car? Or was it that they all were working in unison.
My opinion, exhaust and rear bodywork.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

italian
italian

I know, maybe it's a bit OT but we can't see often the heart of the F2012 Image via F1Sutton
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

bhall
bhall

That's never off-topic.

Crabbia
Crabbia

Anyone read anything about the damage or fault at the end of the race on Alonso's car that he referred to in the interview?
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

donskar
donskar

The updates work, but more DF needed at the rear. I wonder if they can get more DF from this basic design or will need to make more radical changes.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

bhall
bhall

I don't know what more can be done considering the new rear end is almost completely different than what was present on the launch-spec F2012.

I'm also not exactly sure one can reasonably say that the car needs more downforce in that area. These tires play such a profound role in the car's performance that I think even the teams are having difficulty discerning what's a problem inherent to the car and what's a problem relating to its use of the tires.

finishline
finishline

Crabbia wrote:Anyone read anything about the damage or fault at the end of the race on Alonso's car
I did see the kers graphic flash on and off very rapidly a couple of times during the race.

Echo

That ferrari was sooooooooo oversteery
Rich teams should only be allowed to win

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:I don't know what more can be done considering the new rear end is almost completely different than what was present on the launch-spec F2012.
He knows. He was studying all of the cars yesterday getting ideas.

But yes it's a good question. What route for future updates do you think we'll take? I have a few ideas. I also think we'll see Ferrari DDRS in Canada. Marc Gene said no updates for Monaco, the next big Ferrari updates are in Canada.

ing
ing

donskar wrote:The updates work, but more DF needed at the rear. I wonder if they can get more DF from this basic design or will need to make more radical changes.
I think we got at glimpse of the future development plan from what was seen at the Mugello test:

- Day 3 was shake-down for the new exhaust configuration (used this weekend) which is a short term, low-risk solution to address the obvious faults of the ACER duct, etc.
- Day 2 was used to set baseline for comparison with next day's test.
- Day 1 was used to get some learning (as early as possible) on a longer-term, higher-risk, but potentially beneficial solution of blowing the diffuser with coanda effect.

bhall
bhall

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:What route for future updates do you think we'll take?
I quite honestly think it doesn't matter. Fortunes rise and fall this year on the whim of the rubber gods.

Five races; five different winners; five different philosophies.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:
I quite honestly think it doesn't matter. Fortunes rise and fall this year on the whim of the rubber gods.

Yeah I mean I don't think there is a clear leader of the grid. Different cars different in different areas at different times with different temperatures & different conditions. Different enough eh? :lol:

I feel certain they have a development path selected. Only time will tell if it's the right one or not.

Crabbia
Crabbia

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
He knows. He was studying all of the cars yesterday getting ideas.

But yes it's a good question. What route for future updates do you think we'll take? I have a few ideas. I also think we'll see Ferrari DDRS in Canada. Marc Gene said no updates for Monaco, the next big Ferrari updates are in Canada.
I think he was looking at the front and rear of the bulls trying to figure out why they needed front wing changes.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

ing
ing

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:

Yeah I mean I don't think there is a clear leader of the grid. Different cars different in different areas at different times with different temperatures & different conditions. Different enough eh? :lol:
Right. For example, the highest placed car with EBD was 5th today, so maybe it's not the magic bullet.

Teechnical

How is it possible to improve rear downforce? Any examples or suggestions?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.