Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316

Re: Ferrari F2012

So, from that article I would infer that the elusive China engine cover with cooling outlet may be making a return. From what I can understand from the article, there seems to be a lot of thought going into cooling for Monaco, and it seems to imply (if my understanding is correct) that the RBR style central hot air exit is because of this.

But surely this would also require a major change of radiator layout to accomodate a whole new cooling approach? In which case, you would imagine this is not simply a Monaco measure, but a more long-term view to improve general airflow.

raymondu999

I doubt teams would introduce a major package (other than bolting on max downforce) for Monaco. Drivers need confidence to even think about making a difference - and if they have a package they don't know/understand, they won't have that confidence.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso

Hopefully I'm understanding you correctly, but I don't think there is a need for a change in the radiator layout. We've seen them (and other teams) change the cooling outlet configurations within a GP weekend so I doubt it requires such a drastic update to the entire cooling system.

Although wasn't the gaping hole in the engine cover somewhat related to the gearbox oil cooler being mounted up there last year?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

f1316

mx_tifoso wrote:Hopefully I'm understanding you correctly, but I don't think there is a need for a change in the radiator layout. We've seen them (and other teams) change the cooling outlet configurations within a GP weekend so I doubt it requires such a drastic update to the entire cooling system.

Although wasn't the gaping hole in the engine cover somewhat related to the gearbox oil cooler being mounted up there last year?
My understanding was that Ferrari went down a completely different route to everyone else, in that they were doing all the cooling out the back of the sidepods. This, as I understood it, was facilitated by the radiators being mounted on their sides.

Gary Anderson said this: Not only did the bodywork affect the airflow there detrimentally, that problem was exacerbated because they are also using the rear of the sidepod as a radiator-air exit.

Radiator air is hot and slow - exactly what you don't need somewhere you want fast airflow.

The new bodywork also features radiator outlets near the exhaust exit, when I think in an ideal world you'd use the back of the engine cover for that, as Red Bull did last year. "

So I presumed that they would have to go with the "conventional" angle of the radiators in order to do the "conventional" cooling through the engine cover. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Hemsy

An engine cover with a cooling outlet would not facilitate a new radiator layout. Last year RBR alternated between an engine cover with and without a cooling outlet depending on the climatic conditions and the type of circuit. Do you think they changed their entire radiator layout?

simos

f1316 wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:Hopefully I'm understanding you correctly, but I don't think there is a need for a change in the radiator layout. We've seen them (and other teams) change the cooling outlet configurations within a GP weekend so I doubt it requires such a drastic update to the entire cooling system.

My understanding was that Ferrari went down a completely different route to everyone else, in that they were doing all the cooling out the back of the sidepods. This, as I understood it, was facilitated by the radiators being mounted on their sides.

Gary Anderson said this: Not only did the bodywork affect the airflow there detrimentally, that problem was exacerbated because they are also using the rear of the sidepod as a radiator-air exit.

Radiator air is hot and slow - exactly what you don't need somewhere you want fast airflow.

The new bodywork also features radiator outlets near the exhaust exit, when I think in an ideal world you'd use the back of the engine cover for that, as Red Bull did last year. "

So I presumed that they would have to go with the "conventional" angle of the radiators in order to do the "conventional" cooling through the engine cover. But perhaps I'm wrong.
I wouldn't count on that Garry Andersons statement. In Ferraris case he determined mixing cool and hot gases is a no no, later this year, he came to conclusion that it is a good thing when Williams introduced their new exhaust layout and cooling.

Last edited by simos on 23 May 2012, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

Crucial_Xtreme

Monaco spec FW on the bottom

via AMuS

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 23 May 2012, 16:25, edited 3 times in total.

italian

Image Photo of AMuS
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Mr.G

Is it me or we can see a quite big rear center cooling outlet (half of it).
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

flyboy2160

mx_tifoso wrote:...but is wondering how the suspension is technically strengthened? My guess is changing (strengthening) the parts where buckling or snapping is most likely to occur, mainly around the uprights. But yet leaving the dimensions of the arms and rods alone.
if the composite suspension members are hollow as shown in this most excellent thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11557#p295751, then the buckling strength could be increased by thickening the walls by adding plies inside the members. this is not the most efficient way to increase the section properties against buckling. but it leaves alone both the attach geometry at the ends that has to mate to other parts and the external airflow shape.

if you strengthened just the ends of the members near the attach points, the thinner walled center sections could still buckle.

italian

Mr.G wrote:Is it me or we can see a quite big rear center cooling outlet (half of it).
I have the same impression but it's difficult judging from this image. Unfortunately I haven't found better images.

However Gazzetta dello Sport said that Ferrari could have a bigger rear center cooling outlet like Red Bull. Waiting for better photos...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Crucial_Xtreme

Mr.G wrote:Is it me or we can see a quite big rear center cooling outlet (half of it).
Here's a better shot. Massa ran a large open hole like this while Fernando ran the smaller ones. But I'm pretty sure that was Free Practice only.

PABLOEING

Amazing front spoiler....

raymondu999

Hemsy wrote:An engine cover with a cooling outlet would not facilitate a new radiator layout. Last year RBR alternated between an engine cover with and without a cooling outlet depending on the climatic conditions and the type of circuit. Do you think they changed their entire radiator layout?
They changed the size, but it was always there
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme

Now here is the exhaust in race config

Rear end detail

Notice exhaust shield in mechanics hand
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 23 May 2012, 21:21, edited 4 times in total.