Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ing
ing

Re: Ferrari F2012

Mr.G wrote:Is it me or we can see a quite big rear center cooling outlet (half of it).
Looks deceiving, but I think you are seeing this:

Crucial_Xtreme

Mr.G wrote:Is it me or we can see a quite big rear center cooling outlet (half of it).
No I don't believe so, not from any pictures that have been taken today. Here's the engine cover with the RB style cooling outlet seen in China but never raced or even used in practice to the best of my knowledge.

Rockatansky

Evening all.

I'm a long time lurker and a big fan of the intelligence and the friendly nature of this board.
Here's looking forward to adding my two cents worth.
f1316 wrote:So, from that article I would infer that the elusive China engine cover with cooling outlet may be making a return. From what I can understand from the article, there seems to be a lot of thought going into cooling for Monaco, and it seems to imply (if my understanding is correct) that the RBR style central hot air exit is because of this.

But surely this would also require a major change of radiator layout to accomodate a whole new cooling approach? In which case, you would imagine this is not simply a Monaco measure, but a more long-term view to improve general airflow.
Sorry if this has come up before but Ferrari have been playing with the RBR style cooling outlet for a while, they even brought it to Monaco last year but didn't race it if I remember correctly?

Crucial_Xtreme

Ferrari Exhaust & gearbox radiator. It also looks like Ferrari is using the old Exhaust Collector used in 2011

Mr.G

ing wrote:
Looks deceiving, but I think you are seeing this:
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1319/2 ... 5704am.jpg
Yes, it's probably this cover, when I saw the new pictures it was quite obvious.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Crucial_Xtreme

Ok we all missed the Ferrari 2011 Exhaust collector on the F2012 at the Spanish GP. :(((

Spain

Today in Monaco

Bahrain, Malaysia, China & Australia

mx_tifoso

flyboy2160 wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:...but is wondering how the suspension is technically strengthened? My guess is changing (strengthening) the parts where buckling or snapping is most likely to occur, mainly around the uprights. But yet leaving the dimensions of the arms and rods alone.
if the composite suspension members are hollow as shown in this most excellent thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11557#p295751, then the buckling strength could be increased by thickening the walls by adding plies inside the members. this is not the most efficient way to increase the section properties against buckling. but it leaves alone both the attach geometry at the ends that has to mate to other parts and the external airflow shape.

if you strengthened just the ends of the members near the attach points, the thinner walled center sections could still buckle.
When I thought of that I based it off my memories of seeing broken upright connections upon hitting the barriers and similar brushes with immovable objects. So my thoughts laid on the fact that the arms themselves are quite strong as it is. But thanks for the added pov.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

amouzouris

oh man...we really missed that....it looks so obvious now... :roll:

Crucial_Xtreme

amouzouris wrote:oh man...we really missed that....it looks so obvious now... :roll:
I have absolutely no clue how we missed it mate. I saw it and then went back and it was right there. Doh! :lol:

Now the question is how much is this exhaust collector helping the F2012. Regs are much different than last year, but of course engines are still firing on overrun, just more restrictions.

bhall

It collects exhaust gasses that are released when the engine is off-throttle to stabilize the transition to regulation-reduced off-throttle blowing. I imagine its effectiveness vs the 2011-spec collector is directed related to its size vs the 2011-spec collector.

(I thought it was a can of something left on the exhaust when I saw it in pictures from Spain.)

Robbobnob

The resonating chamber could be more focused on regulating the back pressure rather than focusing on the exhaust ploom itself. Better back pressure regulation could equal better torque characteristics and a more drive-able setup rather than a purely power optimized short exhaust.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

bhall

The collector actually robs the engine of outright power, but this ostensibly doesn't result in a loss of lap time due to the stabilizing effect it has on downforce generated through exhaust blowing. I'd think the team would just alter the exhaust nozzle if the intent was to adjust back pressure one way or another. Or is that not allowed anymore?

Gridlock

The last 10cm is a straight circular pipe with a 90deg straight flat cut at the end.

alogoc

when driver releases the throttle does the gases from the collector have any speed to benefit downforce?
what makes the gases go out? negative pressure? vacuum?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

bhall

Gridlock wrote:The last 10cm is a straight circular pipe with a 90deg straight flat cut at the end.
But do the regulations specify a certain diameter for the exhaust pipe? (I have no idea.)

Back pressure adjustments are easily made by simple adjustments to pipe diameter.