Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
horse

Re: Ferrari F2012

Ha! So much for the press! What a bunch of chancers - WHERE ARE THE F'IN WINGS????

Sorry, excuse me, ahem. Well, a few things:

1/ That nose hump looks better optimised on the Caterham than the Ferrari, TBH. Perhaps Ferrari are simply trying to make a point (no pun intended) in order to get the nose rules changed. If anything McLaren have spoiled that party so they may have to do something about it.

2/ I am wondering if the exhaust fairing goes beyond the exhaust exit, so that it picks up the gas from the exhausts pointing up (the mandated 10 degrees) and then directs the flow towards the wheels.

3/ I think they've done a nice job on packaging the rear.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

beelsebob

horse wrote:2/ I am wondering if the exhaust fairing goes beyond the exhaust exit, so that it picks up the gas from the exhausts pointing up (the mandated 10 degrees) and then directs the flow towards the wheels.
You can't have body work in the exhaust cone, so it's got to be right on the end of them.

ledzep4pm

horse wrote: 2/ I am wondering if the exhaust fairing goes beyond the exhaust exit, so that it picks up the gas from the exhausts pointing up (the mandated 10 degrees) and then directs the flow towards the wheels.
I don't think they can, IIRC no bodywork is allowed with in a centre limit/ cone after the end of the exhaust. So I can't see a way of doing it.
Twitter @ledzep4pm

djos

Re: Ferrari F12

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Image

From the hump backwards I think she is a thing of beauty. Shame about the rules...
Owwwwwwm my eyes!!! :shock:

Almost makes the Force India look good!!! And what's with bunt transition!!!! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

Vasco

So they using a a secondary inlet behind the roll hoop like the MP4-26.

Also, with the way the exhausts are positioned, they seem to be trying to blow the brake duct winglets.

King Six

Vasco wrote:So they using a a secondary inlet behind the roll hoop like the MP4-26.

Also, with the way the exhausts are positioned, they seem to be trying to blow the brake duct winglets.
Is that legal, if they have to be a minimum 10 degrees pointing upwards, how can they blow the brake ducts

Vasco

Yes your right....no idea how that can be legal...unless those are not the exhaust positions and more like the cooling outlet for the sidepods.

I wonder if they have sold us a dummy, similar to what Mclaren did.

horse

beelsebob wrote:
horse wrote:2/ I am wondering if the exhaust fairing goes beyond the exhaust exit, so that it picks up the gas from the exhausts pointing up (the mandated 10 degrees) and then directs the flow towards the wheels.
You can't have body work in the exhaust cone, so it's got to be right on the end of them.
I don't know what's going on then. Are they in breach? I think we need a rear three quarter photo to have a look at what they've done. You can't see it past the beam wing from the rear!
Vasco wrote:So they using a a secondary inlet behind the roll hoop like the MP4-26.
I just noticed that too. McLaren have dumped it though. I wonder if it's hard to control, say if you need more cooling for a hot country or less perhaps.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Chasis_1992

In the photo studio they use another suspension.

scarlet

King Six wrote:

Is that legal, if they have to be a minimum 10 degrees pointing upwards, how can they blow the brake ducts
At speed the airflow may divert the exhaust gases, curving them downwards and away from the 10 degrees line.

Redragon

http://jorgelizalde.co.uk/ferrrari/Scre ... 30.532.png

In this picture which i made it brighter with photoshop, you can see and I have marked the direction of the exhaust pointing

I think there are two flows, the exhaust pointing down and center. And hot air from the sidepots pointing break ducts
Last edited by Redragon on 03 Feb 2012, 12:41, edited 2 times in total.

Intego

I think they got the sidepods wrong. They should be more elliptic near the floor (as Ringo elaborated in the RB7 thread). MCL and FI copied the bull best.

And where is the aggressive approach on this? It seems like another year of bad copying (beside the nose).
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Crucial_Xtreme

horse wrote:Ha! So much for the press! What a bunch of chancers - WHERE ARE THE F'IN WINGS????

Sorry, excuse me, ahem. Well, a few things:

1/ That nose hump looks better optimised on the Caterham than the Ferrari, TBH. Perhaps Ferrari are simply trying to make a point (no pun intended) in order to get the nose rules changed. If anything McLaren have spoiled that party so they may have to do something about it.

2/ I am wondering if the exhaust fairing goes beyond the exhaust exit, so that it picks up the gas from the exhausts pointing up (the mandated 10 degrees) and then directs the flow towards the wheels.

3/ I think they've done a nice job on packaging the rear.
Uh the wings are most certainly there, although smaller than he envisioned. Looks like they could create a vortex to feed the rads.

Both pull rod front & rear.

The nose is dead on his first drawing.

He nailed it, sorry.

Sisso KavanhaK

I was a bit right.

"Wings" coming out of the car design just like 2008 cars. It's the same vertical position concept.

Even the exhaust exit seems to work like a wing (in terms of 2008 design)

And a "reverse arrow" shaped side pods. That is what it makes it "ugly".

Richard

Oh .... Not sure what to say about that.

Front nose, pylon and wing appear to be flat pack panels from Ikea. Unfortunately they only had a smaller model in stock, hence the step where it joins the tub. Isn't that abrupt step going to disrupt the air flow?

That front suspension seems to have been distorted beyond reason to so they could have pull rod on a point of principle to make up for last year.

They've adopted the double air intake after McL abandoned that idea

The treatment of the exhaust is interesting. They've gone for wide and flat like the McL U pods last year.

The McLaren seems suspiciously bland, this one seems be a hatchet job. The Caterham doesn't seem so bad now does it?