Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall

Re: Ferrari F2012

donskar wrote:[...] Red Bull and Ferrari had great engineering teams, but that Ferrari had a highly competent leader, but that Red Bull was led by a genius.
[...]
Red Bull's led by a genius all right, and he works somewhere in their accounting department.

Flexy wings, exhaust-blown diffusers, pull-rod suspensions...Adrian Newey pioneered exactly none of those things.

beelsebob

bhallg2k wrote:
donskar wrote:[...] Red Bull and Ferrari had great engineering teams, but that Ferrari had a highly competent leader, but that Red Bull was led by a genius.
[...]
Red Bull's led by a genius all right, and he works somewhere in their accounting department.

Flexy wings, exhaust-blown diffusers, pull-rod suspensions...Adrian Newey pioneered exactly none of those things.
But perfected all of them ;)

shelly

Really is sad seeing how some people try to diminish Newey achievements.
Newey is not considered a great designer because he invented something, but because he has been able to see in advance what were the key areas to find performance in the car. Thsi has been especially evident with rule changes. The other team has always had to play catch up with him.
You can luck in a brilliant idea once, but when you set the refence for severla times, you are a master. And Newey began in th late 80s, when he allowed Ivan Capelli with his Leyton House to fight for podium against Senna and Prost with the all conquering mp4/4 (Portugal 1988 iirc), or took the same Capelli to an unbelievable 2nd place in france 1990.
At williams Newey penned the fw14, that was a revolutionary car for that time (even if most remember more its derived 14b version, with active suspensions).
When in 1995 the was the major rule change that brought the stepped floor, Newey once again set the standard with the fw17. The fw17 lost titles in 95 due to Schuey, but fw18 and 19 took both.
In 1998 Newey was again the one who understood what were the key parameters for a fast car with the new set of rules, and that happened again in 2009.

Call it as you wish, package, architecture, basic concept: Newey has always seen which way to go before its competitors.

Soryy for the OT
twitter: @armchair_aero

beelsebob

Quite. People seem to put way too high a premium on invention, and no where near enough on perfection of existing inventions.

bhall

Some folks also seem to have problems with context and definition.

donskar

F1? It's Newey's world. The other F1 technical people just live in it.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

aral

Funny. I thought that this was a technical thread dedicated to the F2012?

Crucial_Xtreme

AutoSport 2012 Season Review of the F2012

munudeges

bhallg2k wrote:Red Bull's led by a genius all right, and he works somewhere in their accounting department.

Those things were developed at the behest of his constant prodding and pushing and his requirements for the car.

Soul searching over Red Bull and the strange notion that they must be spending more than any other team just isn't going to be terribly productive. The sad fact that others will have to accept is that Red Bull are simply more productive.

techF1LES

Source: F1 Sokuho

stefan_

This is a joke. I appreciate the effort, but why are you putting this japanese stuff all over the place if no one can understand it?
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

raymondu999

stefan_ wrote:This is a joke. I appreciate the effort, but why are you putting this japanese stuff all over the place if no one can understand it?
Why is it a joke? Not everyone can't understand Japanese.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

techF1LES

stefan_ wrote:This is a joke. I appreciate the effort, but why are you putting this japanese stuff all over the place if no one can understand it?
I thought this is F1 Technical forum with international fan base. Honestly, I saw a lot of Italian or German sources here, so why not Japanese? They publish some really interesting technical articles and the only thing I wanted to do was to put it here (and also to another threads - see http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12) for anyone who can speak Japanese. If there is something interesting, maybe someone could translate it and we will discuss... That's the deal. If you don't understand Japanese (me neither) just look at the pictures ;)

P.S. Moderators may delete this whole conversation, as it is irrelevant for this thread.

EDIT:
stefan_, I'm not going to spam this thread, because in my opinion, there's no reason to discuss whether I should, or shouldn't post, what I've posted. If there is something interesting in the pictures, maybe someone could translate it and we will discuss. I said it earlier and I won't repeat it.
stefan_ wrote:With other posts (in italian/german) you can try to translate them with google or something like that, but if you have some pictures and you can't understand the technical details they want to explain, they don't tell you anything.
Mate, I don't know where have you been when these http://i45.tinypic.com/2q2ikw1.png http://i50.tinypic.com/1fwe2x.png (and many others) were posted, but for me it's clear precedent. It was the same as here, but nobody complained at the time, so I don't understand why are you trying to catch attention this way. Stop complain about the post, because Japanese members may take it personally. ;)
Last edited by techF1LES on 17 Dec 2012, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

shelly

I almost forgot that the f2012 had a beam supporting the gearbox around the engine.
Since the engine bloke is frozen, and in previous years they did not have such a beam, what is the reason behind this (non conventional) solution? Maybe the adoption of rear pull rod has brought the need for a different structure?
twitter: @armchair_aero

stefan_

techF1LES wrote:
I thought this is F1 Technical forum with international fan base. Honestly, I saw a lot of Italian or German sources here, so why not Japanese? They publish some really interesting technical articles and the only thing I wanted to do was to put it here (and also to another threads - see http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12) for anyone who can speak Japanese. If there is something interesting, maybe someone could translate it and we will discuss... That's the deal. If you don't understand Japanese (me neither) just look at the pictures ;)

P.S. Moderators may delete this whole conversation, as it is irrelevant for this thread.
I didn't want to be rude or disrespectful. With other posts (in italian/german) you can try to translate them with google or something like that, but if you have some pictures and you can't understand the technical details they want to explain, they don't tell you anything.
I agree with the bolded part. Sorry for hurting people's feelings by telling what I thought.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985