Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mazdaboy

Re: Ferrari F2012

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Schulteiss wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:Intriguing quotes from twitter. Who is joseluisf1, how does get this sort of information?
nobody knows, which makes him less and less authentic, it seems.
Some people know, you just don't. That being said, much of his information have proven accurate. For instance the new floor that was mentioned on Thursday, that showed up Friday. The team surely didn't tell everyone they were using a new floor. He's accurate.

As far as Jerez, It seems the car would lose downforce inexplicably in some corners but not the same place every corner. It seems some pieces of "advanced materials" ceded to pressure(deformation) and airflow was diverted incorrectly. This could not been seen in the windtunnel on the smaller model due to 50 meter per second Regs and the lack of pressure that is exerted on real track conditions. via Jose Luis

raymondu999

Apparently according to Autosport (subs only article) the car is also inconsistent in terms of balance. If they fixed the problem on corner entry; then the exit would get unstable. If they sorted out the exit; the entry would get worse. I remember Ross Brawn said the same thing of the MGP W01 at the 2010 Italian Grand Prix.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Mazdaboy wrote:Image
Very good. I mentioned that hole in the crash structure a few days ago. Never thought about drawing it out. Seems plausible to me. Good spot. Gave you credit.

Isak
Isak

I think the velocity of the air around that hole is alot faster then the air coming out from it. I would actually assume the higher velocity air creates a bit of underpressure that sucks the air out.

I believe the evidence is there to. From my understanding it would be wiser to extend the cover all the way back to the outlet instead of having an open area of 30cm or so if they wanted to keep the higher velocity air at a higher rate, rather then it interfering with the outside air. Air usually wants to even out pressure differences rather fast, hence we can create lift and downforce from aerofoils.

I don't see air accelerating inside the sidepods either.

Hush
Hush

I think it is time to admit that Ferrari have got it wrong once again. I mean, they are still having correlation issues and now they are lacking rear downforce in certain points of the corner which are seemingly random which will make it even more difficult to isolate.

I also don't believe that bodywork deforming under air pressure can have such a significant effect on the car. This all points to something more fundamental like the chassis.

I think they have bitten off more than they can chew with this car.

Paul

Only reason for that "randomness" I can think of is high sensitivity to wind gusts. Any other theories?

raymondu999

As I had already said earlier in the year - Pat Fry hasn't got a good record when he's had to "go aggressive" with a clean sheet design. The MP4-24 was done under his direction.
Paul wrote:Only reason for that "randomness" I can think of is high sensitivity to wind gusts. Any other theories?
There might be a various reasons to be honest; like how the air is directed around their car under yaw; and don't forget they're doing different things braking/throttle on the entry/exit phases. As I said above, it was a problem that Mercedes suffered in 2010 as well; with the inconsistent balance - if you sorted out the entry the exit became worse; and vice versa.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

banibhusan

I don't think it's correlation issue. I may be wrong, but I haven't read anywhere that they are again facing issues in the WT. If we are to believe jous luis's twitter feed, then it has more to do with design issues and real life conditions than to wind tunnel issues.

To be honest, it doesn't come as a big surprise. They have gone completely radical with their design. Most of the concepts are completely new to the car and not sure whether they fully understand how to make it collectively work as a package. Slowly they will sort out the issues and they will fight back. That's the style of the prancing horse..:D

If we look in the past, most of times when teams go with a completely radical approach they struggle to make it work right from the start. Not necessarily every time, but yes, on many occasions.

Paul

With that Pitot they are running high above the car I would expect them to trace any anomalies to wind direction and strength easily, so if they really don't understand it, it might indeed be something different.

Pup
Pup

raymondu999 wrote:As I had already said earlier in the year - Pat Fry hasn't got a good record when he's had to "go aggressive" with a clean sheet design. The MP4-24 was done under his direction.
It does seem like Fry always wants to run a very complex program. Part of his job is to decide what they do and do not explore on the current car, and his philosophy seems to be to do more than less. I think that's reflected not only in the complexity of the F2012, but also the relative simplicity of this year's McLaren.

Having said that, once his programs do get sorted out, they tend to provide results. The danger is that the time spent pulling it all together leaves the development program trailing the competition by a couple of weeks - that's been the constant headache of McLaren fans for a few years running.

Hush
Hush

banibhusan wrote:I don't think it's correlation issue. I may be wrong, but I haven't read anywhere that they are again facing issues in the WT. If we are to believe jous luis's twitter feed, then it has more to do with design issues and real life conditions than to wind tunnel issues.

To be honest, it doesn't come as a big surprise. They have gone completely radical with their design. Most of the concepts are completely new to the car and not sure whether they fully understand how to make it collectively work as a package. Slowly they will sort out the issues and they will fight back. That's the style of the prancing horse..:D

If we look in the past, most of times when teams go with a completely radical approach they struggle to make it work right from the start. Not necessarily every time, but yes, on many occasions.
Pat Fry has said that there is reasonable correlation between the wind tunnel and track data. Reasonable is far from confidence inspiring. I think it is time they upgrade their facilities because every year we hear more and more about wind tunnel gremlins.

bhall
bhall

Hush wrote:I think it is time to admit that Ferrari have got it wrong...
I've quoted Hush, but I'm addressing the whole class.

I cannot emphasize what I'm about to say enough: it's been four days. Four. One can't even take a decent vacation in four days, and you're ready to throw in the towel after one test on one track under one set of weather conditions with only the launch-spec F2012?

And all based on doomsday Twitter prophecies from someone no one knows?

Please don't let my avatar fool you into thinking I'm simply looking at matters through rosso-colored glasses. That's not it at all. Remember how McLaren spent their last winter.

Only a fool would sample something completely new and then draw any conclusions about its worth after only 96 hours, especially when that something new is a Formula f'n One car.

motobaleno

Hush wrote:I think it is time to admit that Ferrari have got it wrong once again.
If F2012 would be fast in the track as you in getting conclusions the championship is our!

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

bhallg2k wrote:
Hush wrote:I think it is time to admit that Ferrari have got it wrong...
I've quoted Hush, but I'm addressing the whole class.

I cannot emphasize what I'm about to say enough: it's been four days. Four. One can't even take a decent vacation in four days, and you're ready to throw in the towel after one test on one track under one set of weather conditions with only the launch-spec F2012?

And all based on doomsday Twitter prophecies from someone no one knows?

Please don't let my avatar fool you into thinking I'm simply looking at matters through rosso-colored glasses. That's not it at all. Remember how McLaren spent their last winter.

Only a fool would sample something completely new and then draw any conclusions about its worth after only 96 hours, especially when that something new is a Formula f'n One car.
You can even make that 3 days, or 72 hours, with the shakedown day lost and half a day of confinement to the garage because of a hydraulic problem. Whatever the tweets, (though to be frank they are not in the least doomsday prophecies, just too informative ones)it is kind of brave to draw any specific conclusion. They have some pretty tight work cut out for them, that's about all. They should be up for it.