Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CHT
CHT

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

radosav wrote:the fact that one under-sidepod slot is closed and other open and leading air to diffusor tells me that red bull doesn't know much about effect of this kind of exhaust flow. they are comparing one open side with other closed and trying to find some gains. this exhaust may be good at the end but it shows that their first version was mistake and when they saw what other teams made with exhaust they had to make it from the begining. that is why they protested ferrari and mclaren exhaust systems at first test. they didn't hide it from the begining and leaving it as surprise for the last test.
i am sure they didnt redesign the entire side pod and rear wing just to experiment on this exhaust layout on the last 2 day of pre-season testing.

Lurk

My brother tought about another prupose for theses slots: it could help extracting air from sidepods since they haven't much room left to allow air travelling from rads to the back-end hole.
It would of course imply that the covered part is open too.

radosav
radosav

CHT wrote:
radosav wrote:the fact that one under-sidepod slot is closed and other open and leading air to diffusor tells me that red bull doesn't know much about effect of this kind of exhaust flow. they are comparing one open side with other closed and trying to find some gains. this exhaust may be good at the end but it shows that their first version was mistake and when they saw what other teams made with exhaust they had to make it from the begining. that is why they protested ferrari and mclaren exhaust systems at first test. they didn't hide it from the begining and leaving it as surprise for the last test.
i am sure they didnt redesign the entire side pod and rear wing just to experiment on this exhaust layout on the last 2 day of pre-season testing.
it is strange that while other teams try to use most of the time to know more about their exhaust ideas, redbull brings their final solution last two days of testing, whic looks like being copied from other teams

Wisdom
Wisdom

There's a big slot there probably feeding another one directly behind it?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Nice high res shot of the rear from above here.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 3-0105.jpg
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

myurr
myurr

Wisdom wrote:There's a big slot there probably feeding another one directly behind it?
Yup, looks like it's blowing into the diffuser. I can see some protests and clarifications over this solution, it's clearly not what the FIA were looking for and it's easy to see how there is a lot of bodywork here that is just for routing the exhaust. That is something the FIA expressly said that they would frown upon.

I would expect that several other teams have already been on the phone to the FIA before deciding whether to start researching their own solutions.

Pierce89

bot6 wrote:One thing is for sure looking at this car. RB spent a lot more resources and a lot more money designing and building this car than the other teams.

RRA my rear end.
Not a big Red Bull fan myself, but this?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

aral
aral

myurr wrote:
Wisdom wrote:There's a big slot there probably feeding another one directly behind it?
Yup, looks like it's blowing into the diffuser. I can see some protests and clarifications over this solution, it's clearly not what the FIA were looking for and it's easy to see how there is a lot of bodywork here that is just for routing the exhaust. That is something the FIA expressly said that they would frown upon.

I would expect that several other teams have already been on the phone to the FIA before deciding whether to start researching their own solutions.
What the FIA were looking for, and what a team can do, are completely different. As long as rules , as specified, are adhered to, there can be no protest. Also, both Merc and Mclaren have been trying to do something similar, and there is no talk of protests.
If no rules are broken, then what RedBull have done, cannot be protested on the grounds that FIA did not envisage it!

type056
type056

I am a bit confused.is this engine starter slot or legal 50 mm outer diffuser slot?

marcush.
marcush.

AnthonyG wrote:Wondering: are there any FLIR shots of this car (and others)?
I think a FLIR camera would point out instantly how the exhaust flows. (and some other airflows)

thermal imaging does only show surface temps you might or might not get a hint were the exhaust gas is going.

Wisdom
Wisdom

myurr wrote:

That's what I thought as well,it looks like a mini diffuser. Is it legal though to have such aperture on the body?

AnthonyG wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:That starter hole is huge!

http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/dms1203ma31.jpg
Why is the slot on top of the sidepod open on the right, but closed on the left?

(first time poster so sorry if this allready was asked somewhere)

not sure, but the blue paint on the rear of the left pod is blistering....

CHT
CHT

radosav wrote:
CHT wrote:
it is strange that while other teams try to use most of the time to know more about their exhaust ideas, redbull brings their final solution last two days of testing, whic looks like being copied from other teams
actually the only thing that they copied is the nose. They actually got the idea after reading Feb2012 issue of F1 Racing which feature the CT01.

atanatizante

A slightly big hole for the upper wishbone, don`t you think?
Maybe it works in conjunction with the concave rear crash structure and the slot in the wing beam?

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

CHT
CHT

double skin rear diffuser

Last edited by CHT on 03 Mar 2012, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.