Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

I think one of Red Bull's great strengths in recent years has been the incredibly tight packaging of components at the rear of the cars. If you want to maintain that packaging and have an outboard exhaust without falling afoul of the rules, the only option is to move the exhaust "up and away."

painkiller

Pup wrote:Yeah, but why not just do what McLaren are doing, and cut out everything under the exhaust outlet? I'm just not sure what the 'bridge' is doing, unless it's structural.
I think they get the advantage of an undercut to the middle of the diffusor plus the exhaust flow to the hole diffusor managed.

I think its clever. Intressting at all.

Pup
Pup

So you think they're splitting the exhaust, or just using the bridge to keep the exhaust from interfering with the airflow to the diffuser?

bhall

The "bridge" is just the most extremely undercut sidepod in F1 history. I think they're cramming all the air they possibly can down the middle in an attempt to force the exhaust to stay outboard.

In a manner of speaking, they're using the air flow over the car to seal off the exhaust so that the exhaust can seal off the air flow under the car.

That's f@^$!# brilliant, if you ask me.

Crucial_Xtreme

Pup wrote:Yeah, but why not just do what McLaren are doing, and cut out everything under the exhaust outlet? I'm just not sure what the 'bridge' is doing, unless it's structural.
I think the bridge is to help direct flow into the starter hole. I would venture to say some of the engine cooling probably is distributed into that bridge as well from below. But also to keep that air flow separated from the exhaust. In much the same way I think maybe the strake on the inside of the rear tyre is for trying to keep the exhaust flow in one particular area as well, no?

radosav

bhallg2k wrote:The "bridge" is just the most extremely undercut sidepod in F1 history. I think they're cramming all the air they possibly can down the middle in an attempt to force the exhaust to stay outboard.

In a manner of speaking, they're using the air flow over the car to seal off the exhaust so that the exhaust can seal off the air flow under the car.

That's f@^$!# brilliant, if you ask me.
yes, if it works

bhall

Yeah, when was the last time a Newey Red Bull didn't deliver?

radosav

bhallg2k wrote:Yeah, when was the last time a Newey Red Bull didn't deliver?
webber isn't pleased with it, and they said that if it doesn't work, they will use first exhaust design. so, they don't know how brilliant it is.red bull car is best balanced, but i will not say that all of their aero designes are brillian just because they made them.

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall

I don't feel like I'm giving undue credit. It's become evident thus far that outboard exhaust isn't as radical as we thought when the F2012 was presented. And RB8 now seems to have the most well thought out solution in this regard.

EDIT: 2008. Four years ago. Otherwise, not a bad track record recently, huh?
Last edited by bhall on 03 Mar 2012, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

Tozza Mazza

raymondu999 wrote:
still it won a race in the hands of the junior squad.

This car is gonna be fast, but can we please wait until OZ Q2 before we discuss this cars pace. We don't know yet!

Crucial_Xtreme

To me what's impressive is that they flew the new car/chassis out from the factory & got right to work. I mean, obviously if it doesn't work they'll revert back but I doubt that will happen. Just the fact that they're confident enough to run a completely new design with only 2 days of testing is saying a lot about the operation they run.
I will be watching the lap times tomorrow to see if there is a sign the new design doesn't work as well as they thought.

painkiller

Blackout wrote:Image
Is it the shadow or does the car have less rake with new exhaust?

Just_a_fan

A thought that goes through my mind is whether they are using the slot to do two things. The first is to get air in toward the centre of the diffuser and the starter hole. The second is to encourage air to move inwards in front of the rear tyre. The exhaust might help here. Doing so and getting the inward moving air to roll over the fence in front of the rear tyre. This will create a decent vortex that will flow along the inside of the rear tyre and help seal the edge of the floor/diffuser in this area.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TBone

Is the bridge there to both protect clean flow to the starter hole and to avoid variation in exhaust flow deflection at high/low speeds? The bridges might give the RB a more consistent flow at all speeds as the flow cannot deflect any further down at low speed as it would need to go through the bridge bodywork.

McLaren and Ferrari are obviously trying to do the same thing but haven't extended the bodywork to the floor