Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pup
Pup

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Well, there was some talk on the McLaren board during the first test that the exhaust might be creating an air dam that was preventing air from getting pulled in to the diffuser. That idea was later dismissed, but perhaps it's possible that RB did encounter that problem and need the bridge to keep the flows separated.

Oneshortplanck
Oneshortplanck

painkiller wrote:
Blackout wrote:Image
Is it the shadow or does the car have less rake with new exhaust?
anyone else notice the tip of the nose?
it looks like RBhate has a mouth

and the blue thing just behind the front wheel
Do not argue with an idiot. She will drag you down to her level and beat you with experience.

bhall
bhall

Oneshortplanck wrote:[...] and the blue thing just behind the front wheel
That's a wheel slip sensor used during testing.

EDIT: Strike that. I don't know what the hell that is.
TBone wrote:[...] Ferrari are obviously trying to do the same thing but haven't extended the bodywork to the floor
Given the Ferrari 599 GTB's "flying" C-pillar, I think someone's going to have a few questions for his team tonight.

Last edited by bhall on 03 Mar 2012, 23:07, edited 2 times in total.

LoudHoward
LoudHoward

radosav wrote:webber isn't pleased with it
Mark probably said exactly what he was going to say regardless of what he felt or what figures they saw from the data either way.

Unlikely that he'd come out and go "Hell yeah we've got it now they're all screwed woooo!" - also unlikely that he'd come out and start sobbing about how they're doomed.

Blackout

Oneshortplanck wrote: and the blue thing just behind the front wheel
Me thinks it's a ride height laser sensor
Or maybe a sensor that measures the tea-tray's flexibility ?

Shrieker

My oh my... I'll be honest. I am quite shocked to see this upgrade package. It looks as if they've skimmed off half the sidepod, and the rear end looks even tighter than last year despite housing the exhaust... Not to mention the exhaust position/direction looks much more purposeful than the launch version.
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:In this picture it looks like air/gasses can get to the sides of the diffuser by rear tyre.

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Red ... 574841.jpg
I don't know you guys, but to me, this redefines 'tight'.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Shrieker wrote:I don't know you guys, but to me, this redefines 'tight'.
1) What is your basis for this judgement? Looks?

2) Can we assume the previous car was as tight as all the components under the body would allow?You make the body as tight as possible every time correct?

So then what did they do to reduce space under the body that they never have done before? Is bellhousing/transmission new and smaller? Maybe they used small od exhaust tubing to make the exhaust system smaller? What has change?

Brian

Shrieker

Well, I have some answers for your inquiries, but since I'm not *the* most knowledgeable around here technically speaking (lol) I'll keep them to myself. Hence the remarks like "as if", "to me" etc. Quite honestly it didn't look like they could squeeze the rear end more last year. It looks tighter and has caught me by surprise quite frankly. Surely, aerodynamically speaking, tighter is better isn't it ? If you could remove the sidepods entirely you'd do it. Begs the question why McLaren and Ferrari can't go as tight as RB can.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

MIKEY_!

The smaller Renault engine has something to do with it, I think it has smaller cooling requirements.

PhillipM
PhillipM

hardingfv32 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:In this picture it looks like air/gasses can get to the sides of the diffuser by rear tyre.
But why move the outlet farther away if you are targeting the sides of the diffuser? The exhaust plume must diffuse the farther out you get.

Brian
I'm not so sure it does, it looks like the bridge is designed to curl the exhaust flow over the side and keep it hugging the side panel (of the bridge), heading in a virtual straight shot to the sides of the diffuser.

The slot underneath is just to keep the air flowing across the floor in inside to stop the exhaust gas being drawn there amongst other things.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Shrieker wrote:It looks tighter and has caught me by surprise quite frankly. Surely, aerodynamically speaking, tighter is better isn't it ?
1) It looks like last years car to me except for some details and the exhaust.
What visual markers cause you to perceive that it is tighter?

2) Off coarse tight is better, but it has been for a decade or more. Last year it was pull rod suspension that made for a major improvement in tightness. What is it this year?

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

PhillipM wrote:The slot underneath is just to keep the air flowing across the floor in inside to stop the exhaust gas being drawn there amongst other things.
Good thought.

Brian

raymondu999

hardingfv32 wrote:Last year it was pull rod suspension that made for a major improvement in tightness.
Eh? The 2009 RB5 already had pull-rod.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Forza

From this picture we can see the trace of burns from the exhaust to better understand where the flow goes.