Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
yace

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

could this be possible? to put more flow under the bulkhead?
ImageImageImage

NoDivergence

I don't think so, that'd have to go through all the suspension components. Besides, I didn't see a inlet at the nose tip like usual for cooling electronics and for the drivers

ajprice

Could the slot be the front intake of an air screen, forcing air over the drivers helmet, maybe directing more air to the airbox? I know the modern cars have the little clear vertical 'windscreen' but maybe they get a better result using the nose like this?
(Best picture I could find)

Raptor22

RB7ate9 wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:
Not related
Could you elaborate? I suppose what 42 was talking about was creating a stagnation point while the theory behind spoilers is more about creating a turbulent vortex in a low-pressure area that, in turn creates a buffer that improves flow over an object? I apologize if I have my concepts turned around.

Correct. The spoiler is creating pressure on the rear deck of the car to add drag, stability and downforce. the flow is not stagnated over a properly implemented. What you buy at Halfords will just result in pulling more of the wrong kind of female... :lol:

Richard

That slot in the nose is not big enough for a major aero influence. It simply relocates the driver cooling slot from the tip of the nose. Its a neat place to locate it too, taking advantage of that air dam effect.

I'm more intrigued by the exhaust. McL and Fer have a more prominent treatment of the exhaust. Of course in previous years both RB & McL have made a dramatic change to the exhaust routing at the final test or in Aus. Perhaps we can say the exhaust as currently shown confirms where it will NOT be in Aus?

Holm86

yace wrote:Image

could this be possible? to put more flow under the bulkhead?
Isnt it illegal to have a hole through the nose?? After Ferrari's F2007.

raymondu999

richard_leeds wrote:That slot in the nose is not big enough for a major aero influence. It simply relocates the driver cooling slot from the tip of the nose. Its a neat place to locate it too, taking advantage of that air dam effect.

I'm more intrigued by the exhaust. McL and Fer have a more prominent treatment of the exhaust. Of course in previous years both RB & McL have made a dramatic change to the exhaust routing at the final test or in Aus. Perhaps we can say the exhaust as currently shown confirms where it will NOT be in Aus?
Actually Raptor and 42 were discussing that it could be an interesting implementation of hollow point aerodynamics.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shelly

I think the shape of the rb8 nose it's just for making the boundary layer on top of the nose/chassis start again from zero thickness from that point. Similar to what was done on the side of th chassis befroe the sidepods in 2007/2008 feraris and in a way similar to the trick at the diffuser kink line we discussed some time ago
twitter: @armchair_aero

Crucial_Xtreme

The RB8 is using an exhaust chamber like Ferrari had last year. Same one seen at YDT in Abu Shabi.

Engineer

Red Bull RB8

Hi guys
I have a question on RB8s front section cockpit slot.
(http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/Red- ... epped-nose)
It's one of a kind,no other car has it.But what actually does it do?Does it the air,witch directed in the slot,flow in to the cockpit to,lets say aircondition the driver ,or is this air directed somewhere else?

Looking forward on your coments.

nice day to ya

raymondu999

any shots you can post, Crucial?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme

@raymond I will try

Crucial_Xtreme

via FA

gandharva

Image Image Image Image Image

forty-two

Ian P. wrote:
Just a little thought RE the apparent slot/vent on the nose hump, has anyone considered the aero characteristics of hollow point ammunition?

Such ammo might appear to have the aero characteristics of a house brick, but is actually pretty good. The trick apparently is that the area directly in front of the hollow point forms a sort of bubble of high pressure air, which is what then encounters the oncoming air first, making the effective nose of the projectile a rounded ball, which has much better aero.

Or am I way off the mark here?
For the bullet case, you are probably on target.
Unfortunately while F1 cars are fast, they are definitely sub-sonic. The bullet case is supersonic with considerably different flow characteristics. F1 cars also don't spin around their long axis at high rates (150K RPM).
Anyone taking wagers on how long before another one of these aero-slots shows up??
The pellet's shown (note, pellets not bullets) are for air weapons. These are absolutely subsonic, and depending upon the weapon firing them, are sometimes not too far away from F1 speeds.

For example some CO2 pistols achieve as little as 350 feet per second muzzle velocity, which is approximately 238 MPH. The speed of sound at sea level is 1,116 feet per second for comparison.

I'm not saying that this backs up the suggestion, rather that being subsonic is not a reason why this wouldn't work.

I do concede the point however regarding rotation. I don't know if that would have any bearing on the effectiveness or not. I understand that the rotation (imparted from rifling) is to make the projectile behave somewhat like a gyroscope and maintain it's attitude, but I suppose it could also play into the effectiveness or not of a hollow point RE aero.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?