Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gandharva

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Rikhart wrote:Redbull running a ddrs already?

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... pr/246.jpg
Looks like preparations/testing for an upcoming ddrs solution.

Here they propably checked diffusor sealing:

volarchico

I grabbed this from a previous post (5 or 6 pages back):

Are these holes/ducts which are similar to the Merc's also in preparation for a DDRS?

aral

Where? Do you mean the four holes? These are used for locating the nose cone.

Owen.C93

volarchico wrote:I grabbed this from a previous post (5 or 6 pages back):

[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... 52.jpg[img]

Are these holes/ducts which are similar to the Merc's also in preparation for a DDRS?
They've had them since at least Melbourne. You can see the wishbone tethers in those holes anyway.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

volarchico

gilgen wrote:Where? Do you mean the four holes? These are used for locating the nose cone.
No, not the four obvious nose-cone locating holes. The two less obvious ones (outlined in black, not silver) on either side of the brake fluid reservoirs (view full size).

If they've been there since Melbourne, why are they are? At full size, I don't see anything inside the holes actually. But maybe I'm not sure what a wishbone tether looks like...

PaulB

volarchico wrote:
gilgen wrote:Where? Do you mean the four holes? These are used for locating the nose cone.
No, not the four obvious nose-cone locating holes. The two less obvious ones (outlined in black, not silver) on either side of the brake fluid reservoirs (view full size).

If they've been there since Melbourne, why are they are? At full size, I don't see anything inside the holes actually. But maybe I'm not sure what a wishbone tether looks like...
I think the torsion bar springs are located in this pipes. You can see something silver in it - could be internal gears for adjusting the torsion bar.

EDIT: Wheel tethers are fixed directly under that holes to the tube.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

RB7ate9

Looking at volarchico's picture, I would imagine that other teams would have very similar tight packaging in the nose which would make creating a Merc-like DDRS problematic. Most likely the teams will be opting, if they are making their own DDRS, to either run slot-tubes above the fluid reservoirs, or perhaps below the assembly.

cccag

volarchico wrote:I grabbed this from a previous post (5 or 6 pages back):

This one ?

Art & science are disciplines that must work together hand in hand - Horacio Pagani

RB7ate9

Tubes for the torsion bars for sure. Unless they've found a way to make hollow torsion bars, which would create a world of excitement for race engineering as well as materials engineering 8)

PhillipM

Why would it? Plenty of hollow torsion bars around, have been for decades. Centuries probably.

banibhusan

I asked Scarbs regarding these holes and this was his response:

"They are the openings for the torsion bars. The RB8 tilts these in the opposite angle to the norm"

MIKEY_!

Can't have been running a full DDRS system since the endplates weren't thick enough to carry the air.

Richard

The what's-the-point-of-DDRS posts have been moved to the what's-the-point-of-DDRS thread.

:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=338386#p338386

Chuckjr

Anyone know the technical updates RB will be implementing next?
Watching F1 since 1986.

raymondu999

Haven't heard any rumors but I think they'll be flat out in Mugello. They're apparently bringing two test crews to allow for less garage downtime.

I suspect maybe they'll try to redo the coke bottle effect they were trying to do with the tunnel.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法