Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Some Mugello test pictures.

Pretty sure this is a new FW

tok-tokkie

I would say that array of pipes samples the gas to see where the actual exhaust & airflow goes. Do not look like pitot tubes.
EDIT: Having zoomed in on the picture I don't know what they are. Look like Bunsen burners with vent holes at their bases.

MIKEY_!

I think the wing is the same but the AoA of the adjustable part has been eased all the way back.

Crucial_Xtreme

MIKEY_! wrote:I think the wing is the same but the AoA of the adjustable part has been eased all the way back.
k. I looked back through some pictures in this thread and thought maybe the dip in the top element/flap might be new but wasn't sure.

raymondu999

I'm with Crucial actually. The trailing edge dip seems new.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

Hmm funny how they are still developing the Sauber exhaust when Sauber have moved on! God Help Ferrari who are probably just taking the sauber style side pod out of the autoclave! Must be really disconcerting for Newey and Fry. That exhaust blowing in 2012 only adds a moderate down-force increase is the only saving grace for them.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hardingfv32

n smikle wrote:Hmm funny how they are still developing the Sauber exhaust when Sauber have moved on! God Help Ferrari who are probably just taking the sauber style side pod out of the autoclave! Must be really disconcerting for Newey and Fry.
Your statement implies that you have a way to rate the performance of the various exhaust layouts. I don't recall any way to do this at this time. What is the bases for your opinion?

Basic race results or performance would not seem to favor any one configuration.

Brian

PhillipM

The fact that Sauber are changing?

Or do you think they're developing to go backwards :lol:

ImAnEngineer

PhillipM wrote:Or do you think they're developing to go backwards :lol:
Modelling exhaust gas behaviour is impossible with CFD + wind tunnels. Teams don't know the real benefit of these types of exhaust unless they do a back to back compare on track and analyse the loads in measured in the suspension.

TL;DR:Sauber don't know if the MCL exhaust is better than theirs until they try it

marcush.

tok-tokkie wrote:I would say that array of pipes samples the gas to see where the actual exhaust & airflow goes. Do not look like pitot tubes.
EDIT: Having zoomed in on the picture I don't know what they are. Look like Bunsen burners with vent holes at their bases.
temperature measurement

stefan_

Brake assembly detail.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Owen.C93

That front duct outlet seems like a weird place. I assume cooling goes to the center of the disk and caliper.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PlatinumZealot

ImAnEngineer wrote:
Modelling exhaust gas behaviour is impossible with CFD + wind tunnels. Teams don't know the real benefit of these types of exhaust unless they do a back to back compare on track and analyse the loads in measured in the suspension.

TL;DR:Sauber don't know if the MCL exhaust is better than theirs until they try it
Well it was deemed important enough to test. I personally feel its better, but even if it wasn't, the point I was putting forward is that Sauber testing the Macca exhaust is making Newey and Fry sweat like pigs.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hardingfv32

n smikle wrote: I personally feel its better, but even if it wasn't, the point I was putting forward is that Sauber testing the Macca exhaust is making Newey and Fry sweat like pigs.
I just don't get the logic. As of the last race.... RB and Lotus would seem on top. What is generating the fear?

Brian

rayden

n smikle wrote:
ImAnEngineer wrote:

Well it was deemed important enough to test. I personally feel its better, but even if it wasn't, the point I was putting forward is that Sauber testing the Macca exhaust is making Newey and Fry sweat like pigs.
But why? RB are leading both championships aren't they?
And looking at the most recent pics from this test (bird cages around diffuser/exhaust) it looks like they still have a lot of potential to unlock from their configuration. given their relative performance at the last GP, I would say everyone else could be scared.