Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GrizzleBoy

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Pic from the link (click the link for a hugemongous, very detailed pic:

Thanks for posting it, I really did start to doubt my eyes (and my memory) lol.

Btw, where is the exit for the sidepod channel? I don't see it at all and I see a double floor area between the gearbox and inside of the vertical vanes.

I thought that part was the exit for the sidepod undercut channels, but when zoomed, you can see a piece of floor creating a shadow on another piece of floor beneath it.

Looks like the exit could be the back of the piece of bodywork where the suspension work comes out of?
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 11 May 2012, 12:53, edited 3 times in total.

Owen.C93

GrizzleBoy wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Well here's the new version with big drop off and the duct. But I can't find where the duct exits in this shot though.
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 123.98.jpg
Pic from the link:

[img]http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 98.jpg[img]

It's fricking huge which is why I didn't embed it. :P
[img]http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/694/ ... 39.jpg[img]
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Nando

I thought holes in the floor was illegal?
or was it that thing about it´s only illegal if you can see the car from beneath or something?

Also wondering where the sidepod intake goes, looks like they have another intake further in.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Huntresa

Nando wrote:I thought holes in the floor was illegal?
or was it that thing about it´s only illegal if you can see the car from beneath or something?

Also wondering where the sidepod intake goes, looks like they have another intake further in.
There isnt a hole in the floor, the hole isnt a hole its a cave so to speak since its above the floor. Double diffuser was a hole in the floor this isnt this is just material added upon the floor like the entire ramp for this exhaust.

Nando

Huntresa wrote:There isnt a hole in the floor, the hole isnt a hole its a cave so to speak since its above the floor. Double diffuser was a hole in the floor this isnt this is just material added upon the floor like the entire ramp for this exhaust.
I mean the hole just in front of the rear wheel?
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

GrizzleBoy

GrizzleBoy wrote:Pic from the link (click the link for a hugemongous, very detailed pic:

[removed pic]

Btw, where is the exit for the sidepod undercut channel? I don't see it at all and I see a double floor area between the gearbox and inside of the vertical vanes.

I thought that part was the exit for the sidepod undercut channels, but when zoomed, you can see a piece of floor creating a shadow on another piece of floor beneath it.

Looks like the exit could be the back of the piece of bodywork where the suspension work comes out of?
Anyone else wondering where the exit for the sidepod undercut channel is going?

Huntresa

GrizzleBoy wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:Pic from the link (click the link for a hugemongous, very detailed pic:

[removed pic]

Btw, where is the exit for the sidepod undercut channel? I don't see it at all and I see a double floor area between the gearbox and inside of the vertical vanes.

To the middle of the car at the back, if you zoom in and look you see the bodywork continues all the way to the middle so it must exit there since holes are not allowed.

GrizzleBoy

Huntresa wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

[removed pic]

To the middle of the car at the back, if you zoom in and look you see the bodywork continues all the way to the middle so it must exit there since holes are not allowed.
Are you talking about the back of the piece of bodywork that I mentioned where the suspension comes out of?

AnthonyG

Owen.C93 wrote:
I have a (perhaps stupid) theory.
That hole at the side is just an extra cooling inlet. By doing so RB can have slightly smaller sidepods etc and reduce drag.
The exhaust-ramp is there to compensate for the distrubence created by that side inlet and letting the air round the rear speed up to a more normal pace.
Last edited by Richard on 11 May 2012, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

GrizzleBoy

AnthonyG wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
I have a (perhaps stupid) theory.
That hole at the side is just an extra cooling inlet. By doing so RB can have slightly smaller sidepods etc and reduce drag.
The exhaust-ramp is there to compensate for the distrubence created by that side inlet and letting the air round the rear speed up to a more normal pace.
I was wondering this also so maybe I'm stupid too.

However, if it is just a cooling inlet, it's kind of wierd how at the hottest track so far (Bahrain), they chose to ditch it.

Maybe the cutout is still there to remove exterior air flows from disturbing the exuahst plume across the rear body work, but they are re-evaluating the cutout in the bridge once more now they have a new exhaust configuration.
Last edited by Richard on 11 May 2012, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

Owen.C93

Theyo have some capacitors to cool in that area.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ForMuLaOne

They evacuate air through that "cave" or cutout to generate a vortex with the exhaust plume that is directed towards the side of the diffusor. It all happens at the rear edge of the cave, where both airflows meet. I doubt cooling function of the cave, as there is no increase in volume to slow down the airflow.

Crucial_Xtreme

GrizzleBoy wrote: Anyone else wondering where the exit for the sidepod undercut channel is going?
Very much so. I can't find anything anywhere. No exit or anything. Very weird. Even more interesting

zonk

what about drive shaft?? it looks like in some hosing??
(I though it should be uncovered)

raymondu999

maybe they have it exiting that circular hole? Or perhaps they exit it like the E20's rad exit? Just above the diffuser?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法