Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
User avatar
PlatinumZealot
472
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

Ah! Very clever use of the different air speeds.

The leading tunnel does in fact go into the duct under the engine cover and exits at those tunnels we see in photos of the back. They could actually be radiator cooling?

The aft tunnel goes into the duct on the floor as shown. It's funny its very transverse. The two aft ducts seem to open up near the starter hole. Maybe they are using the low pressure of the starter hole to help suck the air in the coke bottle zone through it. This makes sense as the air is normally extremely slow in that area near in front the rear wheels.

Anyway. The above, has proven that my previous notions of the ducts exiting much earlier was wrong. I did not know they went so far back. But the photos have also confirmed that the 4 inch tall vertical fins work without the help of the tunnels.

bhall
bhall
370
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

Yes, they work without the help of the tunnels, but that doesn't mean the two aren't intrinsically linked.

The fins redirect, or diffuse, the high pressure flow over the floor away from the area in which the low pressure flow from the forward ducts is vented. That creates an area of relatively lower pressure, which serves to assist the extraction of air from the ducts. It's all about making sure that tunnel doesn't choke and disrupt the exhaust plume.

Huntresa
Huntresa
54
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

n smikle wrote:Ah! Very clever use of the different air speeds.

The leading tunnel does in fact go into the duct under the engine cover and exits at those tunnels we see in photos of the back. They could actually be radiator cooling?

The aft tunnel goes into the duct on the floor as shown. It's funny its very transverse. The two aft ducts seem to open up near the starter hole. Maybe they are using the low pressure of the starter hole to help suck the air in the coke bottle zone through it. This makes sense as the air is normally extremely slow in that area near in front the rear wheels.

Anyway. The above, has proven that my previous notions of the ducts exiting much earlier was wrong. I did not know they went so far back. But the photos have also confirmed that the 4 inch tall vertical fins work without the help of the tunnels.

You dont read scarbs blog then ? As he alrdy showed us what it looks like.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93
138
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

We already knew where they exited and everything but didn't know they also ran a duct for the larger hole. Which does make sense since the air around the gearbox may be high pressure and could stall the duct so why not just bypass it and enclose it in a duct at the expense of some cooling exit volume.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
472
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

Huntresa wrote:
n smikle wrote:Ah! Very clever use of the different air speeds.

The leading tunnel does in fact go into the duct under the engine cover and exits at those tunnels we see in photos of the back. They could actually be radiator cooling?

The aft tunnel goes into the duct on the floor as shown. It's funny its very transverse. The two aft ducts seem to open up near the starter hole. Maybe they are using the low pressure of the starter hole to help suck the air in the coke bottle zone through it. This makes sense as the air is normally extremely slow in that area near in front the rear wheels.

Anyway. The above, has proven that my previous notions of the ducts exiting much earlier was wrong. I did not know they went so far back. But the photos have also confirmed that the 4 inch tall vertical fins work without the help of the tunnels.

You dont read scarbs blog then ? As he alrdy showed us what it looks like.
Did you know that most of the F1 car details are deciphered first right here on F1 technical? Are you new here? This is where the Journo's glean.

User avatar
raymondu999
156
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

n smikle wrote:
Huntresa wrote:You dont read scarbs blog then ? As he alrdy showed us what it looks like.
Did you know that most of the F1 car details are deciphered first right here on F1 technical? Are you new here? This is where the Journo's glean.
Huntresa meant that you could have gleaned it off Scarbs' blog, because this one was deciphered, and diagramed, there first.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall
bhall
370
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

I agree with n_smikle's point, though. I don't look anywhere other than here for technical information about F1.

All things being equal, Scarbs is my tiebreaker, so to speak.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9
10
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

bhallg2k wrote:I agree with n_smikle's point, though. I don't look anywhere other than here for technical information about F1.

All things being equal, Scarbs is my tiebreaker, so to speak.
It's funny. I often times find my way to check up on Scarbs (long time between updates) because someone mentions the latest article here.

All in all, a mechanic never has just one tool in his kit.

Huntresa
Huntresa
54
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

raymondu999 wrote:
n smikle wrote:
Huntresa wrote:You dont read scarbs blog then ? As he alrdy showed us what it looks like.
Did you know that most of the F1 car details are deciphered first right here on F1 technical? Are you new here? This is where the Journo's glean.
Huntresa meant that you could have gleaned it off Scarbs' blog, because this one was deciphered, and diagramed, there first.

Exactly

User avatar
strad
270
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

Did we watch the chalk talk?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
472
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

Huntresa wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
n smikle wrote: Did you know that most of the F1 car details are deciphered first right here on F1 technical? Are you new here? This is where the Journo's glean.
Huntresa meant that you could have gleaned it off Scarbs' blog, because this one was deciphered, and diagramed, there first.

Exactly
Well If you are fine with copying and pasting, more power to you. But I like to think of things myself then discuss it with people on the forum. No fun in just regurgiating information, even an 5 year old can do that.

Huntresa
Huntresa
54
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post


Well If you are fine with copying and pasting, more power to you. But I like to think of things myself then discuss it with people on the forum. No fun in just regurgiating information, even an 5 year old can do that.

Who is copying and pasting ? I just commented on something said here that had obv been shown before on this time Scarbs blog but it could have been elsewhere.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
472
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

That is your style. I don't check other websites for info, I check here. So even if a link is posted on Scarbs I don't check it unless I disagree with it and I want to see how Scarb's interprets it. Last year I deciphered the Mclaren fan tail exhaust first in March 2011 on this website. Scarb's interpretation was an "octopus." He discussed it amongst us here...a group of us with very different interpretations..Then one month later my interpretation was on Scarbs. Then ONE year later, Mclaren released the official name of the exhaust as "fan tail" and an explanation of how it works.

So I hope your reference to Scarb's was not meant as some sort of ultimate validation to anything. However If it was simply a pointer that people understand the concept already because they read it elsewhere... then so be it. 90% of the time people keep re-posting things like assymetry and double diffusers and bendy wings because that is what they are interested in at the time so repetition is something to expect too.

Huntresa
Huntresa
54
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

I just commented cause it was obvious what the --- was doing and scarbs had a good explanation of it in the pics. I didnt comment or post cuase i think scarbs is 100% right all the time.

amc
amc
29
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

n smikle wrote:Last year I deciphered the Mclaren fan tail exhaust first in March 2011 on this website... Then one month later my interpretation was on Scarbs... Then ONE year later, Mclaren released the official name of the exhaust as "fan tail" and an explanation of how it works.
So when 'you' identified something your mysterious source who has been telling you about McLaren high noses disappears... :D

Couple of things here: Firstly, it looks like the Red Bull now has plenty of rear grip - at least compared to the Mclaren - based on the rear tyre deflection. But maybe it's the angle of the pictures that causes this. Both pictures were taken at the first apex of Club, I think.
And what is the little winglet between the wing mirror and the sidepod fins on the RB8, as it is only on the right of the car? It's very small so probably doesn't affect much, but it wouldn't be there if it didn't serve a purpose. Other photos prove it is probably 40-50mm long which doesn't come out on this photo.
Image
Image
Photos copyright Sutton Images.
"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something."