Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

mep wrote:The way to measure that is putting the car or engine on a dyno which I have never seen on an a GP. There is no sensor on the engine to measure torque directly as this is also not so simple to do.
I would say they know the torque before and after the clutch, and at each axle.

Brian

alogoc
alogoc

Kate Walker ‏@F1Kate
Been told that post-race scrutineering could be a bit more interesting than usual this afternoon/evening. RBR throttle drama not done yet!!!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Can someone please state the position of why 5.5.3 was breached? I do not understand what is wrong with changing the torque output in the mid rpm range as long as you comply with the current rules.

Brian

alogoc
alogoc

Domenicali about RBR off-throttle; ‘ Tomorrow there will be a technical meeting and this will be discussed.’
THE F2012!

alogoc
alogoc

At a selected rp/m range they retard the ignition timing but fuel is still at the same amount creating a powerful exhaust thrust but reducing horsepower. So on certain corners they will use gears that are taller but have their feet 100% on the floor. Basically what Red Bull has done is reversed the blown diffuser on the over run and moved it toward on acceleration.

how correct is this theory?
THE F2012!

jz11
jz11

for someone with access to leading car telemetry data it would be easy to see if this is the case, compare gear selection and accelerator pedal position between RB and other leading cars

but anyway this theory seems flawed because in that case the engine is running at lower rpm that it would normally do, thus you already lose all that air/fuel mass right there, I would guess that running lower gear than normal with the "low torque" mapping and throttle wide open you can't get more air into the engine at 15k rpm than you would using the "normal" mapping, "correct" throttle position and 16k rpm because of the higher gear you would select

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's probably the other way around - in the low speed corners where you would be spinning the rears in a lower gear, they've altered the mapping to allow the drive to get full throttle earlier and retarded the timing to control the power, thereby providing more exhaust flow.
I'm not sure why that would be a surprise however, it's a pretty standard mapping technique

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

alogoc wrote:At a selected rp/m range they retard the ignition timing but fuel is still at the same amount creating a powerful exhaust thrust but reducing horsepower. So on certain corners they will use gears that are taller but have their feet 100% on the floor. Basically what Red Bull has done is reversed the blown diffuser on the over run and moved it toward on acceleration.

how correct is this theory?
Even after last years discussion, we have no science indicating what is required for best blowing results. Is it volume, temperature, etc. How much heat does the fuel in the exhaust system create? I would not use the words 'powerful exhaust thrust'.

Brian

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

PhillipM wrote:It's probably the other way around - in the low speed corners where you would be spinning the rears in a lower gear, they've altered the mapping to allow the drive to get full throttle earlier and retarded the timing to control the power, thereby providing more exhaust flow.
I'm not sure why that would be a surprise however, it's a pretty standard mapping technique
Is this not a form of traction control as well?

raymondu999

It's delaying the power - not actually reducing wheelspin.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

But if it reduces wheelspin in the process, doesn't it technically make it traction control?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

I think the key differentiating point here is whether or not it takes over in terms of traction or is just a help.

It would indeed help the driver to keep the traction in check. But if the driver were to wish it, he could still do a burnout on corner exit, which isn't the case with traction control.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PhillipM
PhillipM

mx_tifoso wrote:But if it reduces wheelspin in the process, doesn't it technically make it traction control?
Not really, just torque limiting, it has no feedback or sense of what traction the wheels have, and no input on whether the driver spins the rears up or not, it's just making the car easier to drive.

If it also happens to give blown exhausts because the throttle can be open much earlier, bonus.

alogoc
alogoc

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 47419.html

it's about traction after all hardingfv32!!! :D
THE F2012!

bhall
bhall

mx_tifoso wrote:But if it reduces wheelspin in the process, doesn't it technically make it traction control?
I've seen it termed "traction management," and I think that is a better way to phrase it. But it's just semantics as far as I'm concerned, because the net effects are similar.