Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

hardingfv32 wrote:I thought the conventional line was that 'inlet(s) on the top of the airbox' were for KERS cooling.
dren wrote:Transmission oil I thought.
Or whatever. My point is that cooling in general has been spread out and is no longer solely reliant upon the sidepods, which have been downsized as a result, and teams have implemented different strategies to achieve this. Therefore one team's method for extracting that hot air may not necessarily work for another team.

Shrieker

strad wrote:The W duct is now on YouTube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... J9cFis55xM
Love the vid, and the explanation for the device. My question is, why use a Ferrari car in the demo, and weren't MGP(or at least rumoured to be) the ones ducting their fw ?

(Not to mention this is the RB8 thread :mrgreen: or are the bulls up to something again :wtf: )
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

strad

Shrieker wrote:
strad wrote:The W duct is now on YouTube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... J9cFis55xM
Love the vid, and the explanation for the device. My question is, why use a Ferrari car in the demo, and weren't MGP(or at least rumoured to be) the ones ducting their fw ?

(Not to mention this is the RB8 thread :mrgreen: or are the bulls up to something again :wtf: )
Just showing how far this hoax has gone.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Shrieker

Thanks for making me feel like an idiot :(

Still good video though, and sounds plausible :mrgreen:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

strad

It sounds good till you realize the rules would forbid it...I Think.
But it is a good visual explanation and for all we know is on and working...We'll see... I am soooooooo tired of waiting to get the show on the road. I think there's room for at least 6 more races. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

MIKEY_!

This has probably been discussed already but could the RB8 have an intake inside the cockpit that feeds the radiators in the sidepods? Air comes through the nose intake to 'cool the cockpit' and then rather than exiting out the cockpit top, it leaves via a hole in the side of the tub and flows through the sidepods. Legal?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

I apologize for the small picture. Maybe you can still get a sense of what Piola is trying to show. This is from this weeks Gazzetta edition.

Piola-
The anterior arm of upper triangle prevents the flow gets up for canalizing it in the lower part. There the second arm of the same triangle and the bodywork become parts of containment of the flow and it's directed to the lower wing.

Thanks to Italian for the translation

shelly
shelly

I ths small Piola picture I see 2 slits on the inside of the exhaust exit -am I the only one?
Edit: probably it is the colouring fo the suspension arm

I think on of the distinguishing features of the rb8 is the fairing of driveshaft and trackrod, I am surprised there is so little talk about it. Everybody seems to focus on the nose inlet and on the exhaust position, which can be provisional.
Last edited by shelly on 22 Feb 2012, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
twitter: @armchair_aero

chepoi
chepoi

what is this?

and is it legal?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

An exhaust and a strake infront of the rear wheel? Yes.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Ooops. Right click>view image

ringo

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I apologize for the small picture. Maybe you can still get a sense of what Piola is trying to show. This is from this weeks Gazzetta edition.

it was right before your eyes near the beginning of the thread.

they are blowing the beam wing with the exhaust. The arms just keep the flow from spreading upward. The arms may also coax the hot gas to take a more horizontal plume shape. They are trying to spread the flow across the wing instead of heaving one focused tube of gas under a little area i think.

We need to investigate the camber on that beam wing, it's possible it's so cambered that without hot gas flow it would stall. The gas flow could permit more extreme beam wing profiles to be used.
Last edited by Richard on 22 Feb 2012, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above
For Sure!!

raymondu999

ringo - what would be the benefit of spreading the flow over the whole beam wing rather than just 2 local "hotspots" as it were? I mean; you'd get less pressure on it as the force is distributed; but wouldn't the net total be the same amount of extra downforce?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

ringo wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I apologize for the small picture. Maybe you can still get a sense of what Piola is trying to show. This is from this weeks Gazzetta edition.

Piola-
The anterior arm of upper triangle prevents the flow gets up for canalizing it in the lower part. There the second arm of the same triangle and the bodywork become parts of containment of the flow and it's directed to the lower wing.

Thanks to Italian for the translation
it was right before your eyes near the beginning of the thread.

they are blowing the beam wing with the exhaust. The arms just keep the flow from spreading upward. The arms may also coax the hot gas to take a more horizontal plume shape. They are trying to spread the flow across the wing instead of heaving one focused tube of gas under a little area i think.

We need to investigate the camber on that beam wing, it's possible it's so cambered that without hot gas flow it would stall. The gas flow could permit more extreme beam wing profiles to be used.
I'm inclined to agree and posted such a few pages back. Of course "Brian" jumped in and said I was full of it. So I let it be. I posted the Piola piece because it coincides with what's been said already, although "Brian" doesn't believe so.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

1) The control arms being 'aero neutral' will only straighten the flow.

2) If there was any other possible 'meaningful' benefit, the forward control arm would have been moved closer to the exhaust outlet by either moving the forward mounting location or making the control arm broader.

Brian