Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Blackout wrote:And look at his device above the splitter
http://f1.f-e-n.net/images/f1/2012/2012 ... 748_10.jpg
Are they testing the latters's flexibility ?
Whats that green thing below the rear wing near crash structure(behind the rear wheel) just like the redbull mechanic glove?

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

That's where the rear lifting jack hooks into when the car does a pit stop.

charly
charly

RB7ate9 wrote:
charly wrote:
RB7ate9 wrote:Apologies for the totally random site. I don't have an online image account and this was the first thing that came to mind to get my thoughts on here.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/36aogp/
This construction is simple but genius. So the secret about the letterbox is covered up! I think it isn´t possible to copy that in short time...
I agree, I think the thinness of the letterbox betrays the fact that the volume flow rate through there is much higher and more direct than placing a hole in the front of the nose that will lose more energy by the time it gets to the cockpit.

Holm86: Roger that. Brazil 2011.

Edit: Gave Indication of when the photo was taken

Ok but I think they changed the position of it. Have a look right there at the area left and right from the drivers helmet:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... ow_item=69

Do you see the deformed sourface there? They try to hide something in this area. No other team has something like that at this position.

gibells
gibells

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:

I was under the impression that the rules did not allow suspension components, in any way, to have any aerodynamic infuence.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

New RB8 DRS & Central Support

image via Clausell_F1

Richard
Richard

gibells wrote:I was under the impression that the rules did not allow suspension components, in any way, to have any aerodynamic infuence.
The cross section has to have a neutral profile, those suspension arms appear to comply with that.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:New RB8 DRS & Central Support

Odd that they would test a central pillar for the DRS. Unless they plan on eventually creating some swan-necked extension similar to some LMP1 cars:

...which could be attached to the top of the cannon to route some of the exhaust onto the wing? Silly idea, of course...
Last edited by Richard on 24 Feb 2012, 12:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted frompost above

Tyler
Tyler

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:New RB8 DRS & Central Support

[img]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1010 ... ll.jpg[img]
image via Clausell_F1
I'm quite surprised by this.
Red Bull haven't used one of those central supports for years and last year a lot of teams copied their DRS system with the pod in the centre of the main plane.
This looks similar to what McLaren and Ferrari ran at the beginning of last year.
What would be the reason for changing to the central support?
Last edited by Richard on 24 Feb 2012, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Is there a thread or article that compares the effectiveness of reducing drag between DRS and a fully-developed F-duct (i.e. Mclaren's at end of 2010)?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Rear shot of new/central support RW & diffuser. Right click>view image

gandharva

For me, this looks like sensor elements to check the airflow under the rear wing. But they seem to have a new (smaller) DRS switch.

bhall
bhall

Interesting. You don't often see Red Bull copying a Ferrari concept (DRS/wing pillar).
RB7ate9 wrote:I agree, I think the thinness of the letterbox betrays the fact that the volume flow rate through there is much higher and more direct than placing a hole in the front of the nose that will lose more energy by the time it gets to the cockpit.
No. Just no.

kris
kris

How is the air being diverted from the letter box to the drivers pod?
I see no specific holes behind the letter box slots except for two circular tubes and the semi blocked space behind the fluid (brake/somethign else) containers.

My Image link reference from the scrabs site
http://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/201 ... =224&h=300

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

kris wrote:How is the air being diverted from the letter box to the drivers pod?
I see no specific holes behind the letter box slots except for two circular tubes and the semi blocked space behind the fluid (brake/somethign else) containers.

My Image link reference from the scrabs site
http://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/201 ... =224&h=300
That picture is not from this year, it's from 2011.

shelly
shelly

It is eben more interesting seeing rbr using a ferrari concept that ferrari has abandoned some months ago in order to use redbull concept. The swapping is very interesting.

What I think is this: they have gone to the central pillar mounting in order to have more shaping freedom on the rear wing endplates.

With no pillar, the endplates are carrying all the load, and thus have to be structurally strong and fail proof. If there is a pillar carrying the load instead, you have more freedom in developing strange shapes of the endplates, especially if you think about interaction between vortices developed from the wing tips and maybe the exhausts.

So this arrangement with pillar and conventional looking endplates is just a first step. I excpect new endplates to come out in next test or in melbourne
twitter: @armchair_aero