Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GSBellew

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

banibhusan wrote:Why do they have "RACE" written on the tip of the nosecone? Do teams maintain separate spec of FW for race and practice?
My best guess is that they grade the wings based on minor imperfections, the best being the race ones, you also see wings marked as first spare for each driver and so on.

marcush.

On RTL ,Schumi was referring to something like AFA device not working in Q1 being the reason for his lack of pace .He definetely did not say DRS.... :roll:

raymondu999

Perhaps RFA. Since last year they've always called their DRS the "Rear Flap Adjust." I call it "Redundant Flipping Acronym."

I have a theory - what if actually the W03 is the quickest car on the track; but is a prima donna when it comes to setup? Get the setup smack on and she'll give you a dominant pole and victory (a la China). Get it wrong and she'll be top midfield at best. Possible?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

amouzouris

raymondu999 wrote:Perhaps RFA. Since last year they've always called their DRS the "Rear Flap Adjust." I call it "Redundant Flipping Acronym."

I have a theory - what if actually the W03 is the quickest car on the track; but is a prima donna when it comes to setup? Get the setup smack on and she'll give you a dominant pole and victory (a la China). Get it wrong and she'll be top midfield at best. Possible?
if this is true...then this car has a very very small operating window...and the team should work to widen that window...

Dragonfly

raymondu999 wrote:I mean, the one time when they say they got the tyres right ....
I thinks it's wrong, just the opposite - the tyres got them right.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

hardingfv32

Jef Patat wrote:That car is clearly not ready for racing, nor has it recently raced. Why would you want to cool something that is at ambient temperature?
That was my thought. Would there be any reason for the ECU to be turned on and tested? Does the ECU need cooling because of its own heat generation or because of its location?

Brian

Crucial_Xtreme

DDRS

Rads

Jef Patat

hardingfv32 wrote: That was my thought. Would there be any reason for the ECU to be turned on and tested? Does the ECU need cooling because of its own heat generation or because of its location?

Brian
Being an electronics engineer I would be very surprised an ECU needs that form of cooling. I don't know about the hardware specs but I have never seen an ECU that needs active cooling. I think there must be another reason although I don't know which one.

marcush.

Maybe it´s for system checks ,discharge 7charging cycles in the HV system of the car -Power electronics of the kers unit may well need some cooling air flow to the low temperature cooling circuit...

Lycoming

How do you know that its the car itself that is sensitive, as opposed to the engineers just being really bad at getting it right? after all we are barely 3 races in with all new compounds...

I guess because the reason the first 2 races went so poorly was due to changes in temperature between practice and race, which other teams were evidently unaffected by.

Richard

Once again, discussion of the Chinese GP lap times have been moved...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12375&p=337057#p337057

Richard

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 Team 2012

Now that we're over the rush of the race weekend I've had a chance to do some housekeeping.

Team talk is now in the team talk thread :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12070&view=unread#unread

If your comment is not about a feature on the car then it has does not belong in this thread!
Last edited by Richard on 27 Apr 2012, 17:08, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Repeated again.... and again.

Cicatrix

Looking at the pictures above I wonder what is the "innovative radiator layout" that Sam Bird hinted at before the season. To me it looks very conventional after their truly innovative double deck radiators last year.
What do you think - a hoax to draw attention to other parts of the car in order to disguise the Front Wing F-Duct?

MIKEY_!

Probably, I have seen nothing to indicate anything special going on with the radiators.

elf341

Some more colour on the earlier gearbox development:

From http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tacti ... in-report/:
Michael Schumacher took a five-place grid penalty in Bahrain due to Mercedes having to break the seal on his gearbox prior to the race.
He can therefore have a complete gearbox change for Barcelona, which according to Auto Motor und Sport is an all-new carbon housing design that is lighter, which should improve the W03's treatment of the Pirelli tyres.
Teammate Nico Rosberg must wait until Monaco before he can use the new 'box.