Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Timstr
Timstr

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

I read on AMuS a few days ago that Merc or not sure yet they can get it to work consistently, without exhaust gases heating the tyres.

zyphro
zyphro

Timstr wrote:I read on AMuS a few days ago that Merc or not sure yet they can get it to work consistently, without exhaust gases heating the tyres.
Ah right, thanks.

Predator

I mentioned it a while back... In Malaysia or China (can't quite remember) that Nico was running a new nose/FW/wider pylon combo in FP1 but thought I might have been mistaken because it wasn't on the car for long. Looks like it's back then.

As for exhaust, do they really need to go the Sauber/McL/RB route? I would've thought there's more time to be had from understanding the tyres better...

zyphro
zyphro

Predator wrote:
As for exhaust, do they really need to go the Sauber/McL/RB route? I would've thought there's more time to be had from understanding the tyres better...
I am thinking the same. Understanding the tyres really does bring more benefit than the exhausts (IMO).

Gridlock

At a wet , cold Mugello? You get the data you can get, not the data you'd necessarily want. So exhaust and aero testing is in, tyre management is out.

Predator

Gridlock wrote:At a wet , cold Mugello? You get the data you can get, not the data you'd necessarily want. So exhaust and aero testing is in, tyre management is out.
I think you misunderstood my point... I was talking long-term, not specifically this test.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

madly wrote:Yeah, and they are looking for DF in other aero regions not wasting time on solutions that probably will be banned in next year...
Does not sound like a team that wants the win the Championship this year. A this level of racing the front runners do what ever is required to win the next race. Next year is the concern of those who have given up on this season.

Brian

madly
madly

hardingfv32 wrote:
madly wrote:Yeah, and they are looking for DF in other aero regions not wasting time on solutions that probably will be banned in next year...
Does not sound like a team that wants the win the Championship this year. A this level of racing the front runners do what ever is required to win the next race. Next year is the concern of those who have given up on this season.

Brian
I agree. But I think it's rather design concept or philosophy. EBD with current rules could give 10% (let's say 15% at the end of the year ;-)) last years DF. With current engine mappings limitations EBD is more sensitive to car acceleration. It gives DF but problems too (think about tyres). There are other areas in which you can find DF and have more stable, less sensitive car. Most teams spent a lot of time with EBD design knowing, that tyres are most important. Isn't a kind of waste their resources/time?

atanatizante

Since when they are running an asymmetric FW ?

Also large horizontal flaps on the brake ducts.
No front end grip?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

wrcsti
wrcsti

its not asymetric, just the angle and colors

mantikos
mantikos

So a new bargeboard, modifications to FW and a modified turning vane and floor?

Was hoping for a new pipes...

Artur Craft

madly wrote: I agree. But I think it's rather design concept or philosophy. EBD with current rules could give 10% (let's say 15% at the end of the year ;-)) last years DF.
I already have read some technical directors(don't remember which) claiming they could recover 25% from last year EBD with the new rule.

If Mercedes is like getting 15% back with this solution, then switching to Sauber or Mclaren solution would be a good gain, if their solutions give the assumed 25%.
wrcsti wrote:its not asymetric, just the angle and colors
No, it can't be :lol:

It's obviously asymetric, just look with some attention to it. :wink:

Ivand911, I read some post of you on another forumm comparing the new and old FWs, the wider pylons are very clear but I don't see the difference in the green flap which you mentioned, can you tell me, please?

ivand911
ivand911

Artur Craft wrote:
madly wrote: Ivand911, I read some post of you on another forumm comparing the new and old FWs, the wider pylons are very clear but I don't see the difference in the green flap which you mentioned, can you tell me, please?
old:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-photos/79 ... 6/#/197866
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... how_item=9
new:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-photos/79 ... 4/#/197854
http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/For ... 591334.jpg

Shape on the green flap is different and see the end closer to the pylons is different. One stay up , other is connected with the main plane(going down). Nosecone is wider too.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Artur Craft wrote:
madly wrote: I agree. But I think it's rather design concept or philosophy. EBD with current rules could give 10% (let's say 15% at the end of the year ;-)) last years DF.
I already have read some technical directors(don't remember which) claiming they could recover 25% from last year EBD with the new rule.

If Mercedes is like getting 15% back with this solution, then switching to Sauber or Mclaren solution would be a good gain, if their solutions give the assumed 25%.
wrcsti wrote:its not asymetric, just the angle and colors
No, it can't be :lol:

It's obviously asymetric, just look with some attention to it. :wink:

Ivand911, I read some post of you on another forumm comparing the new and old FWs, the wider pylons are very clear but I don't see the difference in the green flap which you mentioned, can you tell me, please?

if you go back 27pages or something we had the same discussion, it is not asymetric!

yener

"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC