Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

ced381 wrote:Does it have any link with the stuck DRS? I highly doubt broken hydraulics would stop the DRS from closing...
What makes you think that? The DRS actuator is almost certainly a hydraulic ram.

ced381

beelsebob wrote:
ced381 wrote:Does it have any link with the stuck DRS? I highly doubt broken hydraulics would stop the DRS from closing...
What makes you think that? The DRS actuator is almost certainly a hydraulic ram.
A broken hydraulic hose would let its oil out and the pressure would go down, letting the DRS take its low position.. No? I'm really not an expert, I'm speculating here. :oops:
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

beelsebob

ced381 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
A broken hydraulic hose would let its oil out and the pressure would go down, letting the DRS take its low position.. No? I'm really not an expert, I'm speculating here. :oops:
But a broken hose isn't the only possible hydraulic failure... What about a broken valve that didn't allow the fluid to drain again? Plus, even a broken hose could cause this failure – e.g. a broken hose on the system that controlled the valve that let fluid out of the DRS. Plus, the DRS might be raised based on a lack of fluid, not based on the presence of fluid, it might need pressure in the system to lower it.

marcush.

Schumacher -who is a mechanic and a capable spannerman - was struggling to explain why the system could get stuck in open position .He stopped his attempt to explain realising this would possibly reveal tooo much methinks .But I understood as much as there is a electromechanical /hydraulic component as well as some mechanical device acting (cable) .
I had thought there was a mandatory failsafe default position: "closed" demanded by the regs? the flap resisted pure brute from 4 or 5 mechanics trying to close the thing....looked like hydraulic pressure to me .

ced381

beelsebob wrote:But a broken hose isn't the only possible hydraulic failure... What about a broken valve that didn't allow the fluid to drain again? Plus, even a broken hose could cause this failure – e.g. a broken hose on the system that controlled the valve that let fluid out of the DRS. Plus, the DRS might be raised based on a lack of fluid, not based on the presence of fluid, it might need pressure in the system to lower it.
Thanks for the explanation. As I said I'm no expert. :)
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

Leon

It seems that someone at Mercedes sabotage Schuey's car))) too much failures for one car compared to other one
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

nacho

I felt the didn't want to go too far fixing it to not reveal things, after one of the guys went with his hands to the cooling hole it seemed others were hesitant.

Neno

Leon wrote:It seems that someone at Mercedes sabotage Schuey's car))) too much failures for one car compared to other one
i was thinking, did schumi used only one chassis in this first 7 races? maybe that is problem? :|

marcush.

nacho wrote:I felt the didn't want to go too far fixing it to not reveal things, after one of the guys went with his hands to the cooling hole it seemed others were hesitant.
sure that area is damn hot under heat soak conditions surely 90+ surface temps not many people can stand this for long ...

mx_tifoso

Canada Saturday

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

nacho

marcush. wrote:
nacho wrote:I felt the didn't want to go too far fixing it to not reveal things, after one of the guys went with his hands to the cooling hole it seemed others were hesitant.
sure that area is damn hot under heat soak conditions surely 90+ surface temps not many people can stand this for long ...
Yes must be burning. There was something the guy tried to pull/push or cut.

raymondu999

Maybe they had a hydraulic blowoff valve that was inconveniently located there? If you could reach and release it then the pressure would be relieved, and the wing could snap back down?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

snoop1050

looked like he wanted to snip the hydraulic pipe or the wire that powers the accuator

shelly

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Good shot of the W03 up in the air

Two details I find interesting in the diffuser zone:

-very angled outer channels, like lotus. That is probably the cause the absence (on both cars) of rear endplate extensions
-there is no footplate for the diffuser. This is unique iirc this year Edit: maybe I am mistaken and the footplate is there. Bad call on the reflecting surface
twitter: @armchair_aero

Gridlock

snoop1050 wrote:looked like he wanted to snip the hydraulic pipe or the wire that powers the accuator
Yes, he was in there with sidecutters - I imagine to remove hydraulic pressure the old fashioned way.

Sky UK later reported that "a tube had stuck out and blocked the wing from going down" (paraphrasing).