Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Gridlock wrote:
snoop1050 wrote:looked like he wanted to snip the hydraulic pipe or the wire that powers the accuator
Yes, he was in there with sidecutters - I imagine to remove hydraulic pressure the old fashioned way.

Sky UK later reported that "a tube had stuck out and blocked the wing from going down" (paraphrasing).
Possibly one of the tubes for taking air to the front? That would explain working in that paricular area.

Boost

beelsebob wrote:But a broken hose isn't the only possible hydraulic failure... What about a broken valve that didn't allow the fluid to drain again? Plus, even a broken hose could cause this failure – e.g. a broken hose on the system that controlled the valve that let fluid out of the DRS. Plus, the DRS might be raised based on a lack of fluid, not based on the presence of fluid, it might need pressure in the system to lower it.
Given that the DRS needs to fail in the down position I would highly doubt that the system uses a reduced pressure to signal to raise the flap as any failure of the pump or hose would cause the flap to open.

beelsebob

Boost wrote:
beelsebob wrote:But a broken hose isn't the only possible hydraulic failure... What about a broken valve that didn't allow the fluid to drain again? Plus, even a broken hose could cause this failure – e.g. a broken hose on the system that controlled the valve that let fluid out of the DRS. Plus, the DRS might be raised based on a lack of fluid, not based on the presence of fluid, it might need pressure in the system to lower it.
Given that the DRS needs to fail in the down position I would highly doubt that the system uses a reduced pressure to signal to raise the flap as any failure of the pump or hose would cause the flap to open.
Yep, not really saying that's a likely solution – just pointing out a variety of ways in which hydraulics can fail and leave something stuck open. I expect valve failure is the most likely answer, as he still had gear selection, so clearly he didn't have a hydraulic pressure drop.

aral

It was reported on Sky, that Merc said that a pipe was obstructing the actuation arm.

Dragonfly

Air pipe for the DDRS?
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

hardingfv32

shelly wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Good shot of the W03 up in the air

-very angled outer channels, like lotus. That is probably the cause the absence (on both cars) of rear endplate extensions
What is the purpose of the 'very angled outer channels' : To guide the air flow around the tire or improve the internal flow of the diffuser?

Brian

PhillipM

Both

Ozan

I saw some teams using Monkey seats for rear downforce boost, last race in monaco we used monkey seat but in canada we didn't use but rear wing had some kinda gurney on it. what's the percentage of downforce added by monkey seat?

Ferraripilot

PhillipM wrote:Both

The idea behind the fins in the diffuser is to provide the air a longer exit path out of the diffuser thus making the diffuser more effective. I seem to recall W03 beginning with a 3 fin design (on each side) at the beginning of the season though. Now the inner most fin seems to be 2 pieces playing to the same angle yet overlapping slightly.

Owen.C93

I think he's talking about the very outermost channel. Some teams don't exit across the whole width of the floor, whereas Merc and even more so Lotus actually use the whole width and even the side of the diffuser as an exit.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Raptor22

it improves the diffusers expansion ratio, suggesting the W03 has a lot of rear end aero grip when the rear wing is not stalled. Stall the rear wing and the diffuser expansion ratio remains making the transition more controlable I imagine. Will need a CFD program to verify of course.
But its interesting that diffuser expansion and rear wing DDRS is linked in so many ways. I guess its has to be because at 300km/hr the mass flow per second is greater so having more expansion introduces less hock during switching form DDRS to normal DF

Raptor22

Do I spy an opening in the step of the floor just ahead of where the diffuser starts?

Owen.C93

Raptor22 wrote:Do I spy an opening in the step of the floor just ahead of where the diffuser starts?
You shouldn't do. Merc use a double step floor just like Ferrari did a couple of years ago.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

snoop1050

ced381 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
ced381 wrote:Does it have any link with the stuck DRS? I highly doubt broken hydraulics would stop the DRS from closing...
What makes you think that? The DRS actuator is almost certainly a hydraulic ram.
A broken hydraulic hose would let its oil out and the pressure would go down, letting the DRS take its low position.. No? I'm really not an expert, I'm speculating here. :oops:
or its a servo

Th0R

i think i have read somewhere that the drs was mechanical blocked. So no hydraulics failure I suppose.