Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kris

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Mr.S wrote:I am impressed. Looks beautiful. Great Sleek Sidepods. New Front wing,looks cool,the whole nose & Front Wing has been build in a way in optimize the Front Wing F-duct. With so much developmental time & with Mercedes choosing to go for this,there must be significant benefits.

Unless RBR & Renault work on some fancy exhaust or the inlet at the break of the nose offers huge benefits I see Mercedes challenging RBR & Mclaren-Ferrari & fighting for podium places. It is impossible to say if this is a winner or not.

I love the Rear Wing. Not huge Rear Wing like Mclaren last year or no cheap Monkey Seat. RBR,Ferrari,Force India,Lotus,Mclaren have all gone for the Monkey Seat to increase downforce. This car will be a monster in Monza & will have great Straightline Speed.
Also seen missing are the black F-duct openings seen on the floor of the last years FW..

MIKEY_!

Schurcedes wrote:What is the insulated cable running across the length of the sidepod to the heat shielded area at the rear?
Temperature sensor I expect.

Ozan

I think they are hiding the "main" front wing with f-duct. but I may be wrong because this wing also looks good :D

Tamburello

The WORST looking nose of the lot looking from ahead. Looks like a Beluga whale with a bad case of elephantiasis of the cranium.
Last edited by Tamburello on 21 Feb 2012, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

Gerhardsa

MIKEY_! wrote:
Schurcedes wrote:What is the insulated cable running across the length of the sidepod to the heat shielded area at the rear?
Temperature sensor I expect.
Yeah, and looking at this, it seems that they will need it a lot during the initial testing...

Please dont have to many cooling issues again MGP

greggo25

It looks to me that the the exhaust positions will vary before the first race. It seems that there is a possibility we could see it exit between the rear wishbones, similar to RB

RB for reference:

Last edited by greggo25 on 21 Feb 2012, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

Mandrake

About the sidepods: Without claiming to know what is best, and at the same time assuming the RedBull Solution is most efficient, I wonder why no team has tried to achieve the same layout towards the gearbox.

All other teams still have an undercut where the sidepod meets the gearbox, whereas RedBull is like a flat panel there (I hope that explains it well enough). Just from the looks of it, it seems more efficient and makes the tiedied up look of the RedBull!

Gerhardsa

Tumbarello wrote:The WORST looking nose of the lot looking from ahead.
emm...Caterham?

DCren

Just found out GP Update is following test live. Thought you like to know.
“It's not something that happens overnight. I kept saying that until mathematically things are impossible, I will keep fighting,” Michael Schumacher.

Blackout

As in the W02, the chassis part behind the splitter (where the pilot's arse is located) is very massive, cubic, not sculpted

yener

Do they really have heat problems already?
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

dontempe

DCren wrote:Look how compact transmission is.Image
how's the driver going to open the DRS?

Tamburello

Gerhardsa wrote:
Tumbarello wrote:The WORST looking nose of the lot looking from ahead.
emm...Caterham?
I edited my post by adding the reason why the Merc is even worse than the Caterham...

Forza

shelly

In this picture you can see the step between the edge of the floor and the thicker inside part with core in it. F2012 floor is thin instead
twitter: @armchair_aero