Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gridlock

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

atanatizante wrote:
Looks like the pipes are gone now ...
Look closer... They're just further back.

snoop1050

atanatizante wrote: Looks like the pipes are gone now ...
So they are working performance wise already ...
your missing the duct they added leading to near the light.

do people think the duct feeds to the hole directly? or is it trying to make a positive pressure above the duct which would cause negative pressure underneath the area forcing air upwords from the floor?

im not sure just how much air actually comes out from around the engine cover though do people think its possibly the aim?

pocketmoon

marcush. wrote:as for Rosbergs comments:what else could you interpret into his words-he said we tried the whole day to improve the setup but could not find a solution to improve degradation of the fronts....I´d say it pretty much says ..there was no solution and possibly they have no idea IF there is a solution to this issue...
I think you're taking a big leap from what Nico actually said. The team where doing longer runs/race sim on Friday. They were banging in the laps the whole week to generate good data to take back to Brackley. I'm sure the next tests will see the team focus on performance in earnest, including tyre wear, based on the data they have gathered and analysed. Anyway, roll on Thursday!

ovidiulucaci

Some detailed pictures:

ovidiulucaci

[quote="ovidiulucaci"]Some detailed pictures:

Could someone explain what's going on there?
I see a duct from engine cover who is above crush structure and is blowing something there, same thing as F2012.

Ferraripilot

Where are the exhausts? Must just be the angle of the shots as I just cannot see the exhaust

Mr.G

Ferraripilot wrote:Where are the exhausts?
You can see them from this angle, as they are more on top - http://i.imgur.com/Cadsg.jpg (pic from, page above)
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Ferraripilot

Looks like it's blowing their mini DDD from the top

Crucial_Xtreme

ovidiulucaci wrote:
ovidiulucaci wrote:Some detailed pictures:

I see a duct from engine cover who is above crush structure and is blowing something there, same thing as F2012.
It's quite different from the F2012. The Ferrari's is much smaller. If you view the picture you can see the seams of what looks to be a duct.

Right click>view image

dren

I think this is maybe the slot?
Honda!

NonNewtonic

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
ovidiulucaci wrote:
ovidiulucaci wrote:Some detailed pictures:

It's quite different from the F2012. The Ferrari's is much smaller. If you view the picture you can see the seams of what looks to be a duct.

Right click>view image
It seems like those so called 'duct' is actually the crash structure covered with heat resistance materials and its almost impossible to be a duct as the rear suspensions are mounted on it

Pierce89

Ferraripilot wrote:Looks like it's blowing their mini DDD from the top
That would be useless. a diffuser taking air from above the floor wouldn't help anything.

Edit: sorry if my tone seemed terse didn't mean it that way.
Edit 2: look mods I didn't quote the picture!!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

N12ck

Yep they are taking air from above the floor I'm pretty sure
Budding F1 Engineer

dren

Pierce89 wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Looks like it's blowing their mini DDD from the top
That would be useless. a diffuser taking air from above the floor wouldn't help anything.

Edit: sorry if my tone seemed terse didn't mean it that way.
Edit 2: look mods I didn't quote the picture!!
Agree, unless it is channeling exhaust. Even better if it is connected to the starter hole. It doesn't help with the diffuser expansion unless it's connected to the starter hole.
Honda!

snoop1050

would the rules stop someone from placing ballast in that position and using a duct looking cover to hold it in place? that would be genius :lol:

it would be the ultimate misdirection