Red Bull RB8 - A-spec vs B-spec

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Which should they have kept?

A-spec
60%
B-spec
40%

Total votes: 43

myurr

Re: Red Bull RB8 - A-spec vs B-spec

raymondu999 wrote:That's what I meant. They have over 1220km (4 grand prix distances - 2 for each car) of running data for this current spec, and all the test data for the A-spec. Unless there was a clear benefit it wouldn't have stayed on. But my point was wondering if they took a "one step back, 2 steps forward" gamble. Ie mabe the B-spec is weaker than the -spec in some areas, but as a package overall it's quicker. If that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. Everything in F1 is a compromise so I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone was able to show that the A-spec had some specific benefits. The team obviously believes that whatever the advantages of the b-spec are that they outweigh the disadvantages.

It's funny how many people are voting for the A-spec in this thread. They obviously think the team are fools!

raymondu999

Might not be. I think a consensus on one of the "steps back" taken by the team has been consistency/drivability. A car that has a slower "theoretical max laptime" but is more drivable could potentially still produce a quicker laptime.

With a new sidepod concept as such though - it could possibly be that the current spec provides more upgrade potential.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

amouzouris

raymondu999 wrote:Might not be. I think a consensus on one of the "steps back" taken by the team has been consistency/drivability. A car that has a slower "theoretical max laptime" but is more drivable could potentially still produce a quicker laptime.

With a new sidepod concept as such though - it could possibly be that the current spec provides more upgrade potential.
I agree! but a very good driver will be able to extract everything from the undrivable car..so it will be faster..

bhall

Fernando Alonso begs to differ.

raymondu999

amouzouris wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Might not be. I think a consensus on one of the "steps back" taken by the team has been consistency/drivability. A car that has a slower "theoretical max laptime" but is more drivable could potentially still produce a quicker laptime.

I agree! but a very good driver will be able to extract everything from the undrivable car..so it will be faster..
I know what you mean - but I don't think it's about a "good" driver. I think it's just that category of drivers who can handle a diabolical car. Some drivers are just good in a good car. Case in point, JB.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

amouzouris

raymondu999 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:

I know what you mean - but I don't think it's about a "good" driver. I think it's just that category of drivers who can handle a diabolical car. Some drivers are just good in a good car. Case in point, JB.
thats what i meant!! :D

MIKEY_!

myurr wrote:It's funny how many people are voting for the A-spec in this thread. They obviously think the team are fools!
Voted for the A-spec because the B-spec is a development dead end, not because it's somehow slower.

raymondu999

MIKEY_! wrote:the B-spec is a development dead end
How do you know this, pray tell?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

In my opinion. I explained my reasons earlier in the thread.

wesley123

no you did not, you explained why the A-spec was better, not why the B-spec is a 'development dead end'
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

myurr

What I also find funny is looking back at all the people who said that the championship was over for the non-Red Bull cars when the B-spec was released and how they all now think Red Bull are stupid and should go back to the A-spec :)

raymondu999

Aye - that's quite true!
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall

myurr wrote:What I also find funny is looking back at all the people who said that the championship was over for the non-Red Bull cars when the B-spec was released and how they all now think Red Bull are stupid and should go back to the A-spec :)
In my defense, I'd been staring at the F2012 for weeks.

N12ck

I am not sure really,,, I think B Spec is best -the B spec makes great use of the coanda effect but it messes up the flow around the sidepods which in my opinion, goes against the RBR design philosophy a bit, you never know, this may be the correct route, or could be the complete wrong route,
Budding F1 Engineer

raymondu999

I have no doubt Newey knows what he's doing. What caught me off guard and caused me to start this thread is how RBR have seemingly sacrificed a coke bottle which they have refined and perfected over 3 years
失败者找理由,成功者找方法