Red Bull RB9-Renault (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Red Bull RB9-Renault (pre-launch speculation)

So with the regs stable-ish, and the car beautifully on-song already with its exhaust and tunnel crossover working - anyone foresee any major fundamental changes to the car design? I imagine it will be a super-refined RB8 the way the RB7 was of the RB6, and RB6 of the RB5.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

banibhusan

Re: Red Bull RB9-Renault (pre-launch speculation)

Their exhaust concept already is quite refined. Though it's quite difficult to figure out whether it has reached its development potential limit. May be they will also come up with a passive DDRS solution!!

Javert

Surely they need to find more performance (also sure Newey will find it),
MP4-27 was ultimately faster than them even without DDRS/unified rear suspension/exhaust tunnels (and without stepped nose!)

astracrazy

i'm sure they'll refine the exhausts/tunnels (much like every team).

agungn51

RB9 will be featuring Broken Diffuser Effect .... works well on wet :D

" Many inventors achieve great success, because they treat inventing like a serious busines - Inventing is often the easy part; the trick is to know what needs to be invented "

Raptor22

raymondu999 wrote:So with the regs stable-ish, and the car beautifully on-song already with its exhaust and tunnel crossover working - anyone foresee any major fundamental changes to the car design? I imagine it will be a super-refined RB8 the way the RB7 was of the RB6, and RB6 of the RB5.

Their approach to next years races will have to change. this year their tactics to get pole and manage the race from the front came undone when the McLAren was faster. SO Newey needs to get more flexibilty form the cars set up and perhaps a little etra from the engine to get some bhp back. they were seldom the fasters car out there but they were one of the more reliable (except for Alternator issue).
they need more straight line speed for overtaking. Ferrari and McLaren had this but lacked the downforce to keep up through the corners.

I think RedBUll's concept is right but they need a aero package that gives them the ability for less drag whilst maintaining downforce levels. So I expect a refinement of their current package. Probably a much neater rear end and tunnel, a passive DDRS and more efficient rear and front wing profiles. Probably not a very pronounced visual change but very subtle details

Intego

Williams-ish gearbox?
A finally working KERS?
New thinking of the front wing as restrictions increase.
And because the teams are allowed to cover up ugly noses we'll see whether the letterbox will remain and hence was for more than just cool feet. :mrgreen:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

marcush.

with the regs all change for 2014 and three title in a row I see no reason why RedBull should not go for a little adventure.
Newey will adopt pullrod or something even more spectacular for the front suspension -what about a beam swingaxle extending from the floor forward and doing away with everything mounted inbetween tyre and Tub? :roll:
At the very least they will have a pullrod front as the nose will have to come down for 2014....

raymondu999

Intego - I think the panel would cover up the letterbox, so...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

RB7ate9

I'm hoping that the RB9 will be built around maximizing rear downforce (tunnels, ramps) straight-line speed (DRD).

If they can make the exhuast ramp more effective, they will have plenty of planted rear for twisty bits. What I really want them to do is utilize the DRD (or some variation thereof) to boost their max speed. They always end up being mugged once they are in DRS range and have a harder time of using DRS in turn to overtake.

I expect a more elegant RB8 with extra bits at the back.

phillippe

raymondu999 wrote:Intego - I think the panel would cover up the letterbox, so...
But the panel is optional, isn't it?

Holm86

phillippe wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Intego - I think the panel would cover up the letterbox, so...
Yes it is optional.

Did we ever found out what that letterbox was?? Or do we only have speculations?

Sevach

If they keep the letterbox the speculations will go absolutely crazy.

Coefficient

But isn't the panel optional rather than mandatory? I read that a few teams are quite happy with their weird noses and don't intend to bother putting anything on to make them look pretty.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Holm86

Holm86 wrote:
phillippe wrote:
Yes it is optional.

Did we ever found out what that letterbox was?? Or do we only have speculations?