Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

All the time I wanted to say ( I'm tired). I am not sure that it was connected all the time or we have also seen it was today.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

amouzouris

Indeed last year Lotus' system was connected to the RW, but Mercedes' system wasn't... From what we have seen so far, Mercedes has connected the vertical tube to the RW and Lotus has disconnected it.

stefan_

So it was the other way around with Lotus and Mercedes than it was today, that's why I mixed the connected/non-connected DRDs.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Rikhart

It looks like a much cleaner and unobstructive design like that. Much better for the flow over the beam wing certainly. But I wonder why is it off-kilter? Its not properly aligned with the center of the wing :?:

iamthewalrus

Rikhart wrote:It looks like a much cleaner and unobstructive design like that. Much better for the flow over the beam wing certainly. But I wonder why is it off-kilter? Its not properly aligned with the center of the wing :?:
I'm pretty sure that this is not the complete passive DRD setup... and is just a mock up to see how it will affect other systems.

And what about it is 'off kilter'? It looks central to me

Rikhart

Look at the strake in the middle of the wing, the drd is to the right of it, so not centered.

zonk

Because it is slightly back to the lowest point of main plate( it is in a center axis of a car) :roll:

stefan_

Pierce89

korzeniow wrote:Yay! I'm also suprised.

But this looks to me rather like "quick" test solution. The pipe isn't connected to the rear wing's main plate and outlet tube is missing together with special monkey seat.

I think this is temporary test solotion that you can quickly put on and quickly remove.
The lower pipe is covered and the "diffuser" part is built into the engine cover
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ak21_rao

These pics don't look like they are of E21....

zonk

look at the endplate (black & red) and airbox (red)

stefan_

ak21_rao wrote:These pics don't look like they are of E21....
The one posted by me it is the E21 and the other two posted after that are of the E20 with the version of the DRD tested last year.

Nando

Looking at the diffuser it looks like something has been on the car there. Also some weird thing hanging from the rear crash structure.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

MarkedOne8

I don't know what exactly that weird thing is, but I know that it is common for most of the cars. It's just small aerodynamic addon.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

zonk

for rear jack