Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

Yes, that is for the rear jack.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Nando

Even the part of the diffuser that looks like something has been there?

Basically the rear jack touches the car on two places? (hinge-thing and starter hole)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

zoro_f1

from @The_Iceman7 (Kimi Raikkonen)

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

SRK
SRK

zoro_f1 wrote:from @The_Iceman7 (Kimi Raikkonen)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BCvm-iDCUAAcZeU.jpg:large
Nice. Renault R31 and inexact render :wink:

beelsebob

SRK wrote:
zoro_f1 wrote:from @The_Iceman7 (Kimi Raikkonen)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BCvm-iDCUAAcZeU.jpg:large
Nice. Renault R31 and inexact render :wink:
I hate to say I told you so, but... As I said, there's no way a 3D artist making advertising material has more knowledge of what the car does than an engineer building a model of the car.

SRK
SRK

Relax, I don't blame 3D artists, but comparison which doesn't make any sense. I suggested something better IMO.

And a little proposal;)

Blackout

Raikkonen said in more than an interview that they haven't all last years pieces installed on the car and that's true; many upgrades they brought last season disappeared on the E21; for example the large front wing pillars, the winglets placed under the mirrors, the slotted sidepod vertical deflectors, the 'r' shaped vanes placed on the turning vanes, the complex rear wing endplates...

stefan_

New aero parts will start to come in Barcelona (as for pretty much all the teams). In Jerez they did some basic car set-up and tried things like the exhaust layout for example to compare aero data and how the car behaves overall.

In the 2nd test at Barcelona I suspect we will see about 80% of the aero package that will go to Melbourne.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_

James Allison in Good Spirits After Jerez Test

With the E21’s inaugural on-track test complete, Lotus F1 Team Technical Director James Allison explains where we’re at and what happens next...

How useful has the first week of testing been at Jerez?

Winter testing is exceedingly precious. We get just 12 days to prove out a very complex vehicle. Twelve days to push the car and the team to make sure that we are match fit by the time we get to Melbourne. Jerez offers the teams four days of guaranteed good weather on a challenging track that will stress the car from both a reliability and a performance point of view. We leave this first test in high spirits having learned that the E21 looks both competitive and reasonably reliable.

What are the initial conclusions about the 2013 Pirelli tyres?

Pirelli has changed both the internal construction of the tyres and also the tread rubber compound. In the former they have tried to improve the ability of the tyre to handle braking and cornering loads simultaneously and in the latter they are hoping to deliver exciting racing by aiming for softer tyre compounds that suffer rapid lap time degradation as they wear. From what we have seen so far the construction changes are helpful and we are adjusting our setup to make the most of them. Regarding the compound choices, we are happy with the direction that Pirelli are headed and the challenge for us is to find out how to make the rubber last better than our competition.

Now the first test is complete, what happens next for the team?

The main thrust of activity between now and Melbourne is to build up the quantity of stock so that we can go racing. We are using just one chassis here in Jerez, but in a month’s time we need to have four tubs ready to go. Gearboxes, suspension, bodywork and thousands of small parts all need to be made to allow us to commence the racing campaign. At the same time, we will be furiously building a crucial set of Melbourne performance upgrades to allow us to stay competitive. While the factory sweats to get this work completed, the travelling component of the team will plan and execute the remaining two tests. They will push the car as hard as they can to make sure we have amplified its strengths and minimised its weaknesses before we have to use it in anger.

The car looked good in Jerez last year, but then the team had to stop testing after half a day at Barcelona; any concerns this time heading to the Circuit de Catalunya?

We had a problem last year because we designed a single joint poorly. We had created a suspension mounting which was capable of withstanding the loads if it had been made absolutely perfectly. However, that style of joint was very difficult to make accurately enough to get repeatable performance from each chassis. We ran chassis #01 at Jerez and the suspension joint in this chassis was good enough to cope with the loads. We ran chassis #02 at Barcelona and the joint in this one was made just a whisker differently; it was not capable of taking the loads and so failed instantly. Once we realised our error we redesigned the joint so that the glue lines were capable of delivering the required strength without any scatter from chassis to chassis. On the E21 we’ve paid particular attention to this area so we’re not expecting any repeat dramas.

via Lotus F1 Team website.

shelly

I was thinking about Lotus DRD - most posts I have read about it tell that it blows the rear mainplane to achieve its stall, but I am getting convinced that it works the other way round: the small pipe close to the wing causes it to stall by sucking air away from it.

If i assume that the system is working this way, I can figure out how it works more simply: the big monkey seat is used to create a very low pressure at its back, that rives the flow along the main pipe on together with the ram effect from air scoops; the small pipe is connected to the throat of a venturi tube inside the big pipe.
When the air flows fast enough, the pressure at the throat in the big pipe is lower than the pressure under tha mainplane, so some air gets sucked in causing the boundary layer to detach.
By setting the throat area you can set the activating speed.

If I instead try figure out how the sytem works assuming the small pipe blows on the mainplane at high speed, some elements does not fit for me: why is the big monkey seat needed? what saturates the flow in the big pipe earlier than in the small pipe?

Pleas elt me know your opinion
twitter: @armchair_aero

hollus

Last year's tested system was conected to the wing, with slits in the wrong place for sucking, and it also had a draggy outlet by the monkey seat.
But then, the geometry is changed enough this year, so maybe?
On a more phylosophical tone, sucking is spread around, while blowing can be pointed at things and projected away, which is less wasteful.
I remain in the blowing camp... for now.
Rivals, not enemies.

piast9

Well. Lotus know what they're doing but I just can't imagine how would blowing air through such thin and long pipe would affect the huge mass of air rushing around the rear wing at 300 km/h in any significant way.

stefan_

But where does the sucked air goes to after it leaves the bottom of the mainplane? Down the small pipe and into the flow that goes through the engine cover outlet and disrupting it (because, by the way the small pipe is attached to the engine cover, the air is guided the opposite way of the normal flow)?

shamikaze

Could it not be that the low-pressure zon after the RW aids in "sucking" the air through the tin tube from the heat-exhaust. This as opposed then the heat-exhaust "pushing/blowing" the air through the thin tube ? At a certain speed, the low-pressure behind the rear-wing (and the internal "pressure" at the heat-exhaust) add up to a force suffficiently high enough to deliver a blowing effect and thereby stalling the flow behind under the rear-wing.

The drag-reduction effect would start to take effect at a certain speed (for the sake of the argument let's say 250km/h) and improve as speed increases. The faster they go, the more drag they can shed (relative, not absolute). Because of the combination of both forces (heat-exhaust and low-pressure sucking) it also would lead to a gentle recuction in downforce/drag as speed icnreases rather then a binairy on/off effect. Due to the nature of this, I think it has taken Lotus so long to "tune" it to their needs and to suit the characteristics of every circuit.

Exactly same principle as "blowing", only different delivery mechanism of the force involved for deliverign the flow at the desired location.

stefan_