McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Rhodium

Re: McLaren MP4-28

after the second presentation (which was amazing, I must admit)
I remain skeptical.

maybe that the car is different from last year on a technical level.

I do not have the competence to judge.

but it's still the first time I see Mclaren present a car that looks like that of the previous year.

that the thesis is to suggest that the team focus on 2014 is obvious in my eyes.

I expected to see the other presentations, to confirm this trend.
for the moment, I credited this thesis.

McMrocks

The black part at the exhaust was not worth to paint it. I think it will be replaced. A bit black at the exhaust is normal due to heat protection but not that
Last edited by McMrocks on 31 Jan 2013, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Steven
Owner

allstaruk08

i suspect the car will be a little different at the test, they're not going to put all their latest parts on it for the launch. a basic car is all thats needed for a press launch, come the 5th of feb im sure we'll start seeing new parts or a little later maybe once they have reliability and system check done on a base setting car without all the new bits. im sure they're 100% dedicated to this season.

Crucial_Xtreme

No turning vanes under the nose, & other small parts missing. Think what we see in 2nd & 3rd tests and eventually Melbourne will look a bit different. But I see no need to radically change the quickest car in 2012 with little to no Reg changes.

Rhodium

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:But I see no need to radically change the quickest car in 2012 with little to no Reg changes.
Just because we are talking about Mclaren !

by tradition, regardless of the results of the previous year, McLaren is the team that innovates every year, always with design and solutions innovative .

is a constant in this team.

allstaruk08

like JB said its totally different underneath :wink: maybe they have some kind of witchcraft in there :D

stefan_

via F1 Fanatic
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Huntresa

That looks like the nose scarbs suggested with the modesty panel being higher then the nosestructure.

Touristas

Bargeboard goes under the floor a bit?

Owen.C93

Really want so rear shots hah.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

stefan_

via F1 Fanatic
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

bhall

It's a silver F2012. :wink:

f1rules

the upper rear wishbone where it meets the rim is updated no

ringo

Doesn't look like there's a modestly panel to me. Just looks like the nose.

I feel there are loop holes yet to come for 2013 with the diffuser and exhuast. The diffuser may have some cutouts in that area infront and between the wheels like the 2009 car to send exhaust into.
That black paint on the side pods is really indicating that a redbul exhaust will go there.

As for the rest of the car, it's looking pretty average. It's hard to sat outright this car will be the fastest car come melbourne.
It still doesn't have the redbull fundamentals. It may have the new ferrari/lotus like side pods and small side pod entry, and pull rod, but outside of that there's no silver bullet on this car.
I would refrain from using 2012 late performance to judge, i just feel this year is going to be very very very close!

edit: the A arm around the back is interesting. It's actually a Y arm.
For Sure!!