McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Huntresa

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

CjC wrote:
onewingedangel wrote:The front-wing looks so simple in plan-view compared to most rivals. Not that it's a value judgement.
I think you are on to something, I've heard that the latest front wing to have is a 5, that's right, count em 5 element front wing. Supposedly mclaren have a new front wing coming for the next test so we'll have to see.

@scarlet: think you could be right, there are afew cars out there who have a similar conditioner, maybe that's the preferred solution

Well its 2 different solutions/philosophies, 5plane is Red Bull/Ferrari and now Merc and Williams style while this new style of Fw on Mclaren that they introduced last year in the end is Lotus style.

Forza

F1 test - Barcelona - day 2

gray41

Checos seat position looking better.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Leon

Forza wrote:F1 test - Barcelona - day 2
Why is there mp4-27?
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

turbof1

Surely that must be a joke.
#AeroFrodo

chumma

I am....baffled as to why there would be a 27 there?

seinfeld

that car looks amazing in the garage like that! the lighting or lack of it. makes it look AWESOME

Forza

Promotional reasons. Almost all teams have old cars on display outside the garages.

Back to BCN. Mp4/28 fitted with aero rakes and IR sensors

ringo

I think the teams are videoing the tyres wit hi speed cameras.
They probably learn a lot from watching how the tyre surface degrades in a corner or under braking.

As for the car, it looks very good, the best put together car on the grid. It looks like it was designed by one person.
For Sure!!

RicerDude

Maybe they are using the 27 for spares?

thestig84

RicerDude wrote:Maybe they are using the 27 for spares?
Nope. Different car!
As Forza said purely promotional reasons. Often let the guests try and change wheels while not risking the new car.

Coefficient

thestig84 wrote:
RicerDude wrote:Maybe they are using the 27 for spares?
Nope. Different car!
As Forza said purely promotional reasons. Often let the guests try and change wheels while not risking the new car.
Yeah, they usually cart the previous model around with them to most events becuase they know they can't let people near the current one. When I attended the launch of the MP4 25 the 24 was there for guests to paw over and snoop around. I even unclicked the steering wheel and had a look at it which made a couple of nearby Macca boys tense up like I'd grabbed their kids. They do so love their creations, and that was great to see! It gave a fleeting yet revealing insight into the mindset of these deeply driven people!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Javert

Have they ditched the winglets above sidepods showed on day1? :?

CjC
CjC

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... unexpected

the last 2 paragraphs arent really confidence inspiring
Just a fan's point of view

R_Redding

He's right though..

I've been watching the timing screens for the last two days , and all cars have started well then tailed of dramatically.

This afternoon Perez and Hamilton did some longer runs ,starting with an initial 1m23s (ish) then within the next two laps their in the 26s,27s and finishing in the 1m31s after approx 10 laps.

The best run I've seen was yesterday when Kimi did 4 consecutive laps of around 1m23.6 or .7 before boxing a 6 lap run.

The McClaren has had (as most have) rubber build up at the rear floor near the tire heat sensors and it makes me wonder how the cars with 5 element wings are going to fair when all that nice gummi rubber starts being flung off and enters the following cars FW.

Rob