McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: McLaren MP4-28

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1
#McLarenMP428 Detail: The rear suspension is again pullrod and follows Redbull by enclosing the driveshaft

#McLarenMP428 Detail: The frotn of the chassis is raised to 625mm and the nose step is disguised under a modesty panel

Hope it's OK to put this here.

MP4-28 Technical Specifications
Last edited by stefan_ on 31 Jan 2013, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

It is most certainly a modesty panel. The nose would else be too high. It is intricite to mclaren to work on aesthetics, so they refined it that much that it seemlessly integrates in the bodywork.
#AeroFrodo

WillerZ

Ground effect front brake "cooling"

Based on stefan_'s last photo it looks like they have repositioned the front brake callipers to 6 O'Clock so that can put a mini diffuser close to the ground on the inside of the front tyres. I expect this gives them more downforce (and less drag) than the "traditional" tri-plane wing higher up. Of course these bits are small but they all add up.

Anyone have a shot of the rear brake ducting to see if they are doing the same thing there?

Holm86

Theres alot of space on the floor area between the rear tires and the sidepod.

Sevach
Sevach

Mclaren's interpretation of the sidepod/impact test bulge looks weird to me, i don't know what to make of it.

This new pods do look more round from the front and the pull rod + high nose give the car an entirely different look.
Exhaust look like late season MP4-27.

Rikhart
Rikhart

The area around the sidepods, also the back area, lower wing etc, look amazingly detailed and complex. Surprised they show this much at launch.

Huntresa
Huntresa

#McLarenMP428 Detail: The frotn of the chassis is raised to 625mm and the nose step is disguised under a modesty panel

So i was right :D
Last edited by Richard on 31 Jan 2013, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post

turbof1

I noticed anchor points underneath the nose. Turnings vanes are to follow. Strange that for a presentation car with such a level of detail, it isn't showing the turning vanes. What could mclaren possibly be hiding?
#AeroFrodo

meves
meves

Same as Renault, they obviously think their is an advantage to be had through parts that are easy to copy in the front wing and turning vane area. I would guess, new front wing and turning vanes, new floor and diffuser to come and maybe the hoop vanes around the sidepods again!

beelsebob
beelsebob

Completely non technical post... Sorry, but I think we have a contender for most beautiful car in F1 history here.

Tim.Wright

Sorry, post 2008 cars aren't eligible for that prize
Not the engineer at Force India

thestig84
thestig84

ringo wrote:Doesn't look like there's a modestly panel to me. Just looks like the nose.
And thereby stating the exact reason for a modesty panel! I think some people where expecting it to be like a quick release panel as its not structural. Mclaren were never going to do a crude slap on panel. Hopefully we will never see it break off as I guess only a crash would show it underneath.

Lurk

Mirror mounting looks great. Don't know how they come to that as they usually don't changed and kept simple...

Rear suspension is amazing. Y upper arm, lower arm is mounted very high and includes driveshaft - very RBR inspired. Pull rod seems very low (not as low as RB8, but between MP4-27 and RB8), but that could be just my eyes, I didn't see clear shoot of its mounting point yet.

Top of sidepods seem very flat all along; they ended rounded the previous years.

BTW, no rear brake duct? surely a lot to come in this area, combined with tricky exhaust solution and diffusor. But I don't expect a clone of RBR solution.
Last edited by Lurk on 31 Jan 2013, 15:41, edited 3 times in total.

Nando
Nando

beelsebob wrote:Completely non technical post... Sorry, but I think we have a contender for most beautiful car in F1 history here.
*slap*

Get a hold of yourself!
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Giando

Hello everyone from Italy.

The new MP4-28 - or at least the version that has been showed today - is a very interesting car, indeed.

It features a raised chassis, so they will be able to mount a vanity panel nose-cone like today (the panel edges are somehow hidden under the painting... scale modelers know what i mean here) and - if necessary - a stepped nose.

It has quite an evolutionary suspension scheme at the front: it's a pull rod like Ferrari's but the geometry is very different, take a look at how high the upper front whishbone connects to the chassis... (and that's why the steering arm had to be lowered) and compare to the other part of the triangle, specifically the arm towards the cockpit.
Also the pull-rod arm is inclined more toward the center of the car when viewed from above.

A lot of refined aerodynamics can be seen:
- mirrors struts
- all the area around and under the driver's legs
- the rear suspensions which are full 'wing-shaped' according to what is allowed by the rules

Also the radiators intake are a little bigger when compared to MP4-27, so cooling should be more efficient (and reliability, too).

The exhausts scheme is just a temporary solution and i'm sure they will test something new there.

I have the strong sensation (personal of course, not based on any evidence) that this is a car with great potential.

Regards