McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FrukostScones

Re: McLaren MP4-28

Tim.Wright wrote:Sorry, post 2008 cars aren't eligible for that prize
lol

monster of car we have here, features are like expected, if PER is as good as they think and if 2013 Pirelli are as fragile like they say , than we have a winner here.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

prince

The sidepods seems to be longer on MP4-27 compared to MP4-28 and length of nose is also smaller OR is it just my visual impression.

wunderkind

Seems like the McLaren MP4-28 is a MP4-27 with all the good visible bits from Red Bull, Ferrari, and Lotus. Sounds promising in theory, I just hope that McLaren has done a good job in integrating all these new bits into a coherent package that will be quick and reliable out of the box. The risk is the MP4-28 is a bit of a Frankenstein with all the foreign bits and pieces that would take a bit of time to sort out.

Forza

tedkravitz wrote: But they've covered up the nose step - here's what it looks like uncovered.

gibells

Sorry, getting a bit confused here. Could anyone explain what advantage McLaren would have in building a stepped nose and placing a cover over it? I understand the advantage of raising the nose, but how is there any benefit in a cover when the tip of the nose must be at the same height?

FrukostScones

gibells wrote:Sorry, getting a bit confused here. Could anyone explain what advantage McLaren would have in building a stepped nose and placing a cover over it? I understand the advantage of raising the nose, but how is there any benefit in a cover when the tip of the nose must be at the same height?
a bit late to the "modesty panel" discussion here I see... :lol:

thanks Forza for the pic
Last edited by FrukostScones on 31 Jan 2013, 16:10, edited 2 times in total.

stefan_

Hello, Scarbs
via F1 Fanatic.

Last edited by stefan_ on 31 Jan 2013, 16:21, edited 4 times in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

While I dont agree that it is the most beautiful car in f1 history, it is most certainly until now the most beautiful one of its generation.
#AeroFrodo

Rhodium

the wheels are amazing.

McMrocks

the 3D model at mclaren.com shows already the down wash wing at the side pod:

edit: and it shows the frontwing used in the last races 2012 (not in the pic)
Last edited by McMrocks on 31 Jan 2013, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

FrukostScones

wow, I gues mcLaren celebrated 50th with "no secrecy rules today" !

genuine! true honest, maybe sober but hell yeah!

Richard

Presumably they believe the benefit of a smoother profile is greater than the disadvantage of a bigger cross section.

Remember last year they thought a lower smooth nose was better than a higher stepped nose. So they obviously see significant benefits in the smooth profile. This year gives them the best of both.

FrukostScones

LOL, nice picture

gibells

richard_leeds wrote:Presumably they believe the benefit of a smoother profile is greater than the disadvantage of a bigger cross section.

Remember last year they thought a lower smooth nose was better than a higher stepped nose. So they obviously see significant benefits in the smooth profile. This year gives them the best of both.
@ Richard. Yes I can see the benefits of a smooth nose. And I understand the concept of a smaller cross section. But surely adding a cover to a stepped nose dissolves the latter?

ringo

The panel will be better used at low downforce, high speed tracks. Otherwise the step is actually a downforce generator.
It's dirty downforce but it's downforce nonetheless.
Hmmm about the car, i don't see why it will dominate. Lotus is still looking pretty much less chunky and more svelte.
Lotus rear end looking very clean as well; maybe it's the engine differences.

The side pod opening change is very interesting. I feel they are improving cooling solutions each year, so can afford to tighten up the openings.
Note also that they ditched the butterfly side pod concept from last year. Remember the sidepods had some diheadral to them in 2012?
These sidepods are more of a mix of 2011 and 2012. Flat and broad.
For Sure!!